main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Obi-Wan Undercover Arc

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Orrelios, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Try to remember, LoE was published before RotS came out. We had no idea any CIS leaders were imprisoned/captured. The motive behind the Battle of Coruscant / kidnapping the chancellor is subjective: every character IU would give you a different answer; likewise, everyone OOU would, too.

2. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Correct. When I mentioned that the motive was to get Palpatine off-world, I meant that this was the motive of Sidious and Dooku, the originators of the plan. All of the players have their own motivations, to be sure and that's an important distinction to be made. Good point there, cwu.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    CIS leaders captured is yet more TCW osik.

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Excellent points about the actual motives being different between characters. Oh what a tangled web. Ok, I give up. I guess I'll buy me a few books after I've had a chance to get my paycheck into the bank. Now to whiddle down the list to a couple of these and a couple of those.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  5. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    True! Sad but true!

6. GeneralCIS

GeneralCIS Jedi Master star 1

Oct 23, 2012
    I enjoyed this arc, but having Dooku fight Anakin again was a pain. I was hopeful that we would see the separatists broke out of prision but sadly this did not happen!

7. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I couldn't agree more. There is just no fun when those guys fight while even if The Grievous vs Obi fight has happened before, it always feel different cause of the different situations and settings.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Let me first say that my memories of this arc are quite poor, I'm mostly going on remembered feelings.

I thought the whole dynamic involving Obi-Wan's death, the Council's behavior and Anakin's reaction was incredibly ham-fisted and simplistic. It's like the writers started with an idea and went with it, bowling over any obstacle in their path, refusing to stop no matter how dumb it sounded. They just wanted what happened to happen, and that was that, logic and established characterization be damned. It didn't seem like Palpatine wanted to get Anakin pissed so much as the writers did.

I seem to remember "The Box" being poorly received, while I rather enjoyed it. Then again I'm a huge fan of The Most Dangerous Game/super deadly obstacle course/supreme challenge type of stuff.

While each and every duel between Anakin and Dooku makes Anakin's kickass line from ROTS more and more absurd, I absolutely loved that Dooku finally went one handed on us. I know I've said it before, but it's just something I had been wanting for years.

How was it obvious that Obi-Wan was Hardeen?

Obi-Wan was killed. Hardeen was imprisoned for his murder. Hardeen escaped. Hardeen performed really well in The Box.

I don't see how anyone can take those details and make the connection that Kenobi was Hardeen.

Honestly, from what I remember I found it pretty convincing that the whole plot was "real" and not some scheme. If I hadn't seen the actual body switch take place, and if you remove a few nods toward the audience (that no one in universe would recognize), I don't think I would have known. So how could anyone in-universe know?

What am I missing/forgetting?

Frankly Seerow, I find your theory on this arc to be absolutely absurd.

9. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I've watched the Rako Hardeen arc a few times now with all the episodes together. I didn't really appreciate this arc until the first time I viewed it as one. "The Box" has actually become one of my favorite parts in the arc. Its role is very cryptic. I like the ambiquity the episode gives to how much Dooku knew and how much of the plot was actually given by Sids which does make it believable that the entire ting was a plot as well. Also, "Crisis on Naboo" has easily the best fight between Anakin and Dooku to date and the scene in the big room with all the windows and Anakin running toward him is beautiful.

I have to ask... Why it would be so hard to figure out Rako Hardeen is Obi-wan in Disguise? Would the Jedi's disguise pen be top secret? In universe without seeing the body switch, lets think about the math. What are the odds that Rako Hardeen, a seemingly random bounty hunter would successfully snipe a Jedi of the caliber that Obi-wan Kenobi is. That this guy who sniped him would end up very interested in Morallo Eval and Cad Bane's biggings to the point of pulling out all the stops to tag along. Then there are the disguised Rako Hardeen's super human reflexes and skills not to mention his admirable sense of mercy. Thats kinda a funny trait for a bounty hunter. There are lost of give aways. Dooku was in touch with Eval and Bane the entire way. He seemed completely suspicious the moment he laid eyes on Rako Hardeen, when he stepped off the ship to go into "The Box". "The Box" itself I maintain was a trap meant to find the Jedi in disguise Dooku and his boss always knew were going to be there.

Lastly, although its a moot point since its a deleted scene, there is none the less a deleted scene on the season 4 blu-ray where Dooku point blank says he knew Rako Hardeen was Obi-wan Kenobi all along. I'll Flipcam that one for sure when I get a chance.

KenobiSkywalker and cwustudent like this.
  10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I love to see that, quite interesting

11. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    lol of course?

Yeah, none of this leads to a conclusion that Hardeen is Kenobi, or even that Hardeen is anyone but Hardeen.

Kenobi isn't invincible, ostensibly he can be killed, even by normal folk, we've seen it before.

Is there any reason to believe Hardeen is a "seemingly random bounty hunter"? He may not be Jango Fett, but he doesn't come off as Greedo, either. Just because we haven't heard of him, doesn't mean people in-universe haven't. IIRC people seem to have some knowledge of him, but he's not treated like a big shot like Cad Bane or Jango Fett.

Two of your points actually contradict each other. It makes sense for the guy that killed Kenobi to be highly skilled and perform well in The Box. "Hardeen" was a little bit goody goody and too much of a team player in The Box for a bounty hunter, but nothing alarmingly suspicious.

Isn't "Hardeen" originally interested in tagging along with Eval and Bane to escape?

You're saying that a person who reportedly kills Kenobi (and by all accounts it's true, the Jedi carried the ruse all the way through, including a funeral), is pursued by Kenobi's apprentice and later captured by Jedi, is interested in escaping jail and picking up a job and turns out to be highly skilled is somehow evidence that the person is actually Kenobi in disguise.

As you wish.

12. ninjaofthenight801

ninjaofthenight801 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 19, 2011
    I mean typically, can't one sense the presence of another force-user?... It's used to a varying degree on the show, and sometimes they can and sometimes they can't sense one another, and it varies depending on the status of said force-user in question. But Dooku being a Sith lord, would there not be something about Hardeen that gives off Obi-wan vibes?

13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I bring this up all the time, but the show usually ignores it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.