main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA The OC is it the real deal?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Darth-Seldon, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Hi everyone I live on the East coast but watch the new TV show the OC. I was wondering if anyone lived in Newport Beach. Is the show the real deal or hollywood. Do you guys really live that good? thanks and your banner is great I would never change it.

Darth Seldon

2. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    Ahhhh! Please stop watching this show! It's not even filmed in OC. It's filmed somewhere in LA county (several locations if I'm not mistaken). No one ever uses the phrase "That's how it's done in the OC." It's just a bad show from writers, directors, and producers that think they know what goes on around here but have probably never spent more than 5 mins here. Yes, Newport Beach is a nice place, but nothing you ever see on that show happens around here. I think one of the places they film in is Santa Monica, which, besides the beach, has nothing in common with Newport Beach.

3. SRB_Jedi_Knight

SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    The show is pretty good since it's like a modern day 90210 or Melrose place.

However, Barry is correct. with his review of the series. It's more Hollywood. Although Newport Beach is a great place.

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Wow! interesting. well I live near Providence RI and when they made the show Providence I thought it was pretty acurate. I do like the OC and will probably continue to watch it but it is interesting that it is mostly fake.

5. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    And that movie with collin hanks?? Not real either.

6. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    The show is pretty good since it's like a modern day 90210 or Melrose place.

*shivers*

Two shows I never watched and I was not sorry to see them go. I really don't watch soap operas unless they involve sci-fi/fantasy or action, which is why I watch Buffy/Angel, 24, and Alias :) but not shows like Felicity.

7. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    But they do all have SUV's

EDIT: Califoooooooooooooooooooorniaaaaaaaaaa!!!

8. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Yeah, but that's all of SoCal, not just OC.

9. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    Most of L.I. has SUVs too.

10. tvgrluvsw

tvgrluvsw Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2003
    no one ever refers to it as "the O.C" its filmed in hermosa beach or something. totally inaccurate i doubt if the writers have ever lived in orange county

11. dustinbrewer

dustinbrewer Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 8, 2002
    ahh fox's new "teen dramas". just wait till the one with the smut peddler vs. the district attorney romeo and juliet type thing. wonderful programming :p watch the oc on television or watch dickie roberts on the big screen???? makes me wanna put in a dvd everynight!

as an "oc" resident, i must say though, i am skinny, waxed and blonde. i also drive a navigator with spinners and have at least 3 cell phones on me at all times so i can invite people to party at my seaside home in laguna nightly.

yeah uh huh ;P

12. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I don't live in OC, I've only been there a few times. And I haven't actually seen the show yet, but the comercial look dead on accurate! :p

I can't wait for a Long Beach version that will probably be filmed in Ontario.

13. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    Or it will be filmed in Long Beach, New York which is on Long Island. Same diff right? ;)

14. Cosmic_Jedii

Cosmic_Jedii Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2003
    Yah... And another show, called 'Paris, Texas' filmed in Perris, CA!

"No, I don't understand the Perrisians!" (the theme song, swiped from 'GiGi')

15. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA star 3 VIP

Dec 8, 2002
    I refuse to watch this show for two reasons. One not everyone in Orange County is stuck up rich arses and two, I am too busy with school. The movie with Jack Black and that guy from boosum Buddies's kid was a piece of you know what too. That show shoulda been called South Orange County or Rich People who live on the Beach and are detatched from reality Orange County. Other than that, Jack Black is funny. Boycott that show. That's what we say in the OC.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's a lot more realistic than the movie...

...but that's not saying much.

Much of Newport *is* as expensive as shown on the movie, and they're all stinkin' rich--but they're not all as stuck-up as those in the show are. The entire county, also, isn't represented by Newport.

17. tiepilottillard1701

tiepilottillard1701 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 10, 2003
    I enjoy making fun of it on how they portray certan aspects of life here and how it realy is. I am waiting to see how they handle Anaheim, because that is where I live. There is one part of Anaheim that looks gorguse, and if you guessed that it is by Disneyland, you would be correct. Then ther is another part that is on the corner of La Palma Ave. and Olive St. that puts me in mind of Tijuana, even though I have never been there. For the people who do not live in SoCal, that is about 3 or 4 road miles from Dland. Another joke I made about a recent epsiode is they were raising funds for a new wing for the childrens hospital, and I was joking where would they build it? It has been several years since I was in that area, but it has a very Mahattian feel with the building dinstey, and I was thinking, it might REALLLY be a wing they build lol!

18. Bant428

Bant428 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    its all crap. hate it.

19. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    As a resident of Newport Beach I think that I have some say in this matter...the O.C. that the show is portraying is more like Newport Coast (where Kobe Bryant lives). All the homes up there are amazing and the majority of the people are extremely well off. In Newport Beach there are some VERY nice homes and areas, but there's also a lot of areas that aren't very picturesque at all. In fact, most of the homes on the beach look like crap because of the salt in the air. The area around the Newport Pier isn't all that great either, and it smells really bad because of the Fish Market. :p

Northern Newport Beach...from 50th street on is average and somewhat run down. Trust me, you DON'T want to go in the water at 74th street. It's right by the River Jeti and is contaminated.

So in closing, Newport Beach is not really at all what the O.C. portrays it to be.

20. BucketHead8723

BucketHead8723 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2003
    I just saw the show last week for the first time. The show itself was OKAY, but it is ALL wrong! OC kids in high school are so much dumber than they are on the show, and like, they always like talk like this. Like you know? I have never seen anyone at my school give a speech like they do in the show. Also, there was this scene where this popular guy and his friends were riding in a car with AllAmericanRejects playing. Hell no! Around here, at least as far as i have experienced, it's RAP! Always rap. Either that or hardcore rock with a buncha' yelling and cursing.

21. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    ^ Indubitably. [face_mischief]

22. MALICE_MIZER

MALICE_MIZER Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    How about that other FOX show, The Simple Life??? What a riot...I swear, I'd like to make my own "movie" with that Paris Hilton, too...hehehe.

23. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    Second that.^ :)

24. BucketHead8723

BucketHead8723 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2003
    /\/\/\

Cheers. Actually, I hate the show, but Paris Hilton, good stuff.

25. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    I honestly don't think she's that pretty. Certainly not worth watching her on tv every week. Now make a show about any of the Victoria's Secret models and I'm there :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.