main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Offer

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Ghost_Jedi, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    We have all been intrigued by GL?s quote in Vanity Fair, that Anakin will make a pact to save the life of a loved one. Now I was watching rotj today, and I noticed an interesting parallel. While Vader is trying to hunt down Luke, he tells his son, ?Give yourself to the dark side. It is the only way you can save your friends.? This seems like an almost parallel situation are the plight of the 2 Skywalkers, each wants to save their friends. Anakin gives into the darkside to save his friends/Padme. Luke while close to the edge, stays on the Lightside, and ultimately saves his friends and his father.

What do you think Palpsidious offers Anakin, that he will join the darkside?

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    power.

In several forms.

And recognition.

3. youngvader

youngvader Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 21, 1999
    To save Padme's life.

4. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    The funny thing is that Vader doesn't seem to realise that Palpatine tricked him. I mean, Padmé did die and still, he tries to win Luke over with the same offer.
    Surely, he wouldn't want to fool his own son into making the same mistake that he made?

...right?

Darth Vader is a bastard
    ...or a fool, take a pick

/LM

5. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Which means it's not only Padme? ;) So I'll have to agree that it's power, in many forms.

Vader is a bad ****** ******!
    *grin* No offence, Lars :)

6. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    It's power and Padme. Anakin wants the power to "stop people from dying". He wants the power to save Padme from her fate.

7. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Listen to stinrab you must.

Vader could have been testing Luke's resolve... I wonder if he ever really believed Luke would join him. And there's something to be said for the "slave" mentality. Vader's been a slave, to something, for so long, it could be hard for him to break away from that. Or maybe he saw that with Luke he could finally destroy the Emperor, thus freeing himself.

8. Padlei

Padlei Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2003
    Yes, exactly. Power and Padmé indeed.
    But I've always wondered about Luke too. Why would he insist that the dark side can save his friends if it didn't work for Padmé obviously? I suppose it's out of selfish reasons, maybe because he knows that Luke will be attracted to the same thing, protecting the ones he loves... I suppose that since Vader is on the bad side he's doing the same thing, offering a pact with the devil for Luke to turn, knowing the dark side provides only power but doesn't save the people you love... I don't know. [face_thinking]

9. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    Maybe he gets the power, but it's too late to save Padme.

10. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    "Lies, deceit, creating mistrust. Joined the Dark Side, Dooku has."

I don't think you can necessarily trust what Vader is saying.

He's trying to get Luke to join him of his own free will - it has to be your own free will.

11. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Absolutely. It's rather eerie that Anakin ends up being the seducer, just like Palpatine was to him.

Anakin Skywalker is complex
    /LM

12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I think Padme will be the key trigger. Ani lost his mother and was sick with not being able to prevent it. He's ripe for the picking if Padme is in harm's way.
    A true Faustian bargain, I love it! Can't wait to see how slimy Sidious is as he makes the offer. That conversation should be as much of a highlight as the any fight.

13. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Any conversation involving Sidious is sure to be a highlight....

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

14. dav305z

dav305z Jedi Master star 1

Jan 31, 2005
    I'd say its the ability to save Padme, simply because that's what Yoda and Obi-Wan warn Luke about. Yoda doesn't want him to go to Bespin to try and save Leia and Han, and Obi-Wan tells him to bury his feelings deep, because they could be made to serve the Emperor. Indeed, its to save Leia that Luke almost kills Vader.

15. origjedi

origjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2001
    Ironically, I think Sidious will offer Anakin to save the galaxy. I think through all of Sidious' careful planning and set-up, the galaxy will look in dissaray BECAUSE OF the Jedi and the Republic. I see Sidious making all of Anakin's beliefs and views of everyone as lies and deceit towards HIM because everyone is afraid of how powerful he is. That the Jedi are jealous that he is so powerful and that is why he is not a Knight/Master/on the Council, etc. That the Senate is corrupt and don't care about what is best for the Republic (according to Sidious). So the only answer is for Anakin to join PalpSidious and together they can make things right. Perhaps Padme' will have died by then and Anakin feels he has nothing else in his life that matters so he agrees with PalpSidious. Just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.