main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Office scribes to write Ghostbusters 3...

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Sep 4, 2008.

1. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117991624.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Okay, I really don't care about all the sequels coming out now, but if this happens, this is one movie I will most defintley see. Much better idea, than the recent rumor of the apatow crew writing it.

Also makes sense, in that Harold Ramis has directed some Office Episodes. As long as it's better than Ghostbusters 2, I'll be happy. The first Ghostbusters was one of the first films I remembr seeing in the theater, can't wait for this one.

gotta have mr stay puff at least once in the film.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I utterly disagree. Why retread a 20 year old joke that was already done perfectly in the first film?

3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    indeed..

I would to see this though. Hopefully they will do a good job with it.

4. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Not surprising considering the response that Sony has been getting for the RGB DVDs and the pending Video Game. Not to mention June 2009 marks the 25th anniversary of the first film. But I must say that it will be odd to see a GB flick that isn't the brain child of Ramis and Aykroyd. The biggest hurdle will be convincing Murray to join in. Agreeing to voice the game is one thing, but another sequel is something else.

Here's hoping.

And for the love of God no Stay Puft...reference it, have a product placement somewhere, but the character was conjured for a very specific purpose and he doesn't need to be exploited for the sake of fanboys. There are a tonne of other existing paranormal concepts that could be explored and who knows how many they could entirely make up.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. Bill Murray IS Peter Venkman. If they can't get Murray to sign on, fine. Egon, Winston and Ray, should still make for a solid film, but for God's sake don't try to recast Venkman.

6. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    If they can't get the whole crew back, this movie isn't even worth making IMO.

7. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I've been waiting for this one forever and I would want a direct sequel not a remake

8. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    I wouldn't want to be in Toronto right now. I think the whole city just heard Spiderfan's orgasm.

Slimy!

9. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    They did recently stop production on the video game which was to be the third installment of the series, no reason was given tho. Still, if this isn't a rumor, they're gonna have to fight tooth and nail to get Bill Murray in on it as he has said time and again that he will not do a third Ghostbusters film.

10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    If latest rumours are true, the main cast will be back, perhaps without Sigourney Weaver & Rick Moranis. So long as Ackroyd, Ramis, Hudson and Murray are there I'll be happy.

11. gonzoforce

Feb 27, 2002
    hasn't there been rumors of a third film for like the past 12 or so years? I remember the Farley rumor, before he died.

wonder if Ivan Reightman is going to direct it, or maybe his son Jason steps in and directs it. He did Thank you For Somking, which is an underated movie I think and of course he directed Juno

12. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Dunno, I would like to see Sigourney Weaver in it, she's still hot and the love/hate relationship with Dana and Venkman were one of the things that made the films work. I might be able to get by without Rick Moranis, but then he's all but retired from acting for a number of years now, so it wouldn't be any huge surprise to me if he isn't in it.

13. gonzoforce

Feb 27, 2002
    haven't seen moranis in anything in a long time.

Walter Peck's gotta be back!

14. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Don't forget Annie Potts.

As for the plot, I'm sure it will revolve around how old they all are now and that they've expanded their business to include new blood. Oscar (Danas kid) will no doubt play a big part.

15. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Actually I am not overly joyous about this. The fact they are bringing someone else in to write leaves me a little worried and there is still the major hurdle of the cast. Not to mention this is still just an unconfirmed rumour given that Columbia refuses to comment on. And the profit sharing that was outlined for the stars of the film franchise is going to have to be redrafted as Sony's policies won't let more than 25% profit fall out of their hands. The principles are the heart of the series without question and convincing them to take less money when they aren't all convinced to return in the first place is going to be a really really tough sell.

Thats not entirely true. The production is nearly complete. What happened was Activision rethought many of its business ventures and decided to close up shop with many of them. The GB game happened to be one of those. But the game is not canceled, they have promised to help find it a new home and in the meantime the developers are using that time to polish the game.

Reitman Sr. is out. Ramis is suspected to step in and take the reigns instead and since he was responsible for so much of the first two I don't have a problem with that. Jason has gone on record as saying that he has no interest in directing GB. It was his dad's thing, he wants to do his own thing.

Weaver is out and Moranis is semi-retired. I wouldn't expect to see them back. Both Annie Pots and William Atherton (Walter Peck the EPA guy) agreed to do the video game I don't see why they wouldn't say yes to the movie...though beyond a cameo I don't see what good it does to bring back Peck.

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. I think would be the only realistic plot for another Ghostbusters movie at this poinr.

17. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Interesting. Newsarama is reporting that its likely a reboot of the franchise, while Reuters suggests that the original cast and filmmakers may be involved but won't be the central cast.

I am hoping these reports aren't terribly accurate. Still I will remain skeptical until I hear something official from Sony.

18. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    The second film included the main cast from the first, and was one of the worst films I've ever seen. I'm not even going to bother with a third.

19. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    A realistic plot for Ghostbusters?

Uh, you know what the movie is about, right?

20. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Thats not what he meant by realistic.

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yes. To Spiderfan, you listen.

GBIII is confirmed.

22. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    This news inspired me to watch the original film again - first time in a number of years. What a cracker it is.

23. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003

Ray, if someone asks you if you are a god say yes!

24. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Its still not confirmed. Sony is still firm in its "no comment". And there is some question if that note is actually from Harold Ramis. Assuming this report is correct, all this confirms is that there is a script being attempted. That's a long way from a green light and even longer from a completed project. Even if the studio says that they have officially hired someone to write a script a lot could happen and this script may never end up being anything more than words on the page.

Assuming further that this is all accurate and this does eventually lead to Ghostbusters 3, as much as I love Apatow and Co. (who are rumoured again to be involved) I am not sure it would really be Ghostbusters without the old boys heading the team. I will wait and see but that aspect of the stories leaves me somewhat less optimistic.

EDIT: Sorry I assumed Chancellor_Ewok's link was to the Harold Ramis quote from earlier today. You can read that here that people have been suggesting "confirms" the project.

25. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Ramis seems keen on using Apatow and his guys to make the 'Next Generation' of Ghostsbusters, so does anyone object to discussion of how certain actors could fit?

From Apatow's stable of actors, the only one I can see pulling off a Peter sort of character would be Paul Rudd. And without that sort of character it's just not Ghostbusters.

Or perhaps Bill Hader, but in a very different mold.

Kristen Wiig would be a fantastic inclusion, whether as a member of the team or a replacement Janine. With her and Hader, it would be nice to continue using SNL alums in the franchise.

McLovin would be good in a role like the kid on the cartoon show who got beat up for dressing as a Ghostbuster to school (Spiderfan at least knows who I'm talking about)

If Seth Rogen is involved, I'd prefer that he's NOT a stoner for once (GB doesn't need that stuff).