main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST Complimentary Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015

anakin entered a space battle and not only didn't get killed, but basically destroyed an entire space station, doing what all the experienced soldiers and military leaders around him couldn't, at 10 years old. criticize the scene if you want, but these "superman" examples exist for all these characters, idk why people are acting like they don't lol

Things I loved:
    -the entire throne room scene
    -by extension, the entire sequence on snoke's ship, between the execution/Finn vs Phasma stuff, the throne room stuff, and the resistance evacuating and holdo's sacrifice. genuinely probably the most intense sequence in the saga
    -Kylo vs. Luke
    -Luke and Leia's reunion
    -not a specific scene, but the fact that we could actually see for ourselves the resistance fleet getting smaller and smaller. Seriously, even GL never managed to make the military side of the story feel this high stakes, I was constantly despairing right alongside the resistance

Satipo, Strongbow and hermiona52 like this.
  2. Bazookaleffe

Bazookaleffe Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    When I say Superman I'm talking about Leia floating in space and pulling herself back to the ship by using the force.
    [face_laugh][face_rofl]8-}

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  3. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Yeah......I know. And I'm saying i think your critique of the scene is unfounded, since I find other moments you claim don't exist to be just as objectively "ridiculous"

4. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I can pinpoint the exact moment that I went from "I'm really liking this movie" to "This movie is awesome". The Millenium Falcon flying through the crystal caves, with that John Williams music. I guess I'm eager to please.

There's so much stuff that I thought was really good. I'm still trying to process it. Here are a few that come to mind.
    The utterly artistic depiction of the Raddus lightspeed punching the Supremacy.
    Leia walking through the exploded door and then shooting Poe on stun
    Kylo's other hand moving down by his side in the throne room
    The utter meanness of Snoke

I'm hard of hearing so I missed quite a bit of the dialogue at times, so am eager to go back for a second viewing as soon as possible. Much of Del Toro's dialogue I couldn't understand, and some of Luke's too.

5. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    The best scene ever in a star wars movie = Holdo lightspeed kamakazi into the first order ships. The visuals were stunning and the silence was PERFECT. People throughout my whole screening were blown away.

6. JawaShuffle

JawaShuffle Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 22, 2016
    Similar reaction from the audience in the screeing I was in.

MarcJordan and SienneRe like this.
  7. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
  8. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    R2 projecting the original Leia hologram
    BB8 losing his top in the explosion
    Klyo opting not to shoot Leia, only for the TIE's to do it
    Porgs (surprisingly)

MarcJordan and Strongbow like this.
  9. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    Leia's hologram
    Leia and Amilyn farewell
    Crystal foxes - they were so awesome!
    Rose freeing the fathier
    BB-8 doing it's magic
    Luke's last line!
    And that tiny, tiny smile on Hux's face when he was looking at kneeling Kylo.

MarcJordan, Tho Yor and Strongbow like this.
  10. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    "Page-turners, they were not." Yeah, I'd like to be the judge of that if it's all good with you. Can we publish those texts, please?

Tho Yor and Seeker Of The Whills like this.
  11. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    MOD WARNING

Stop trolling and baiting each other. Unlike most of you blokes I will not be seeing Star Wars today. So if you want to tempt fate and cross the line once more. I will happily ban you. You don't like the movie that is fine be constructive but don't come into a "Favorite Line" thread and attempt to spread vile and provoke fights.

12. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    My highlights...

Hux turning into a Monty Python character.
    Luke throwing the saber off the cliff and walking off.
    "The Mighty Kylo Ren" getting humiliated by Snoke and smashing his helmet in fury.
    Chewie cooking the Porg.
    Luke tickling Rey's hand with the leaf.
    "Why did you hate your fa--- (wow you are so shredded) ---ther?"
    Snokes Death and the ensuing fight with the guards.
    "The Supreme Leader is dead... long live the Supreme Leader!"
    "Read them, have you? Page turners they were not!"
    Luke & Leia's theme and Luke kissing Leia on the forehead. Beautiful moment.
    "Do you think you got him?" Luke brushes dust off shoulder.
    Luke telling Ben that him and his Dad are gonna haunt the **** out of him for being an evil SoB "See you 'round, kid!"
    Rey shutting Kylo out.
    Stable boy.

MarcJordan, Sarge, Revanfan1 and 3 others like this.
  13. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Leia’s hologram from ANH was amazing. Didn’t expect it. Nice little surprise!

MarcJordan and Tobi like this.
  14. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    Yes, all of these!

I do think there is a major sequel hook quietly seeded there with Luke's comments to Ben. I can totally see him turning up in IX to haunt Ben, perhaps alongside Anakin and Yoda (can't see Han coming back).

15. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    I imagined that last line of luke with his joker laugh

16. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Word.

17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Lots of fantastic moments in this one.

- opening battle sequence - WOW
    - Luke and R2.
    - Chewie and the Porgs... Ya know.... THAT scene
    - Throne room. Snoke was delicious... until he wasn;t. The fight was off the hook, and Rey shutting down Ren? Perfect.
    - Holdo and the Raddus. Sorry we won't see more of Holdo. I really liked her.
    - Luke on Crait
    - Floating rocks. :)

MarcJordan and Satipo like this.
  18. Bazookaleffe

Bazookaleffe Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    - Holdo suiciding
    - Kylo and Rey fighting the guards. Though I wish the red curtains wasnt there and we would've seen space through the very large image.
    - Kylo and Rey's dialogue after the fight. Though the disappointment of Snoke's death, Kylo were in to something at this point of creating something new and forget the old. Destroying both the First Order and the Resistance would've a nice twist. I knew this was never gonna happen since Rey needs to stay on the light sided, so my excitment ended within minutes.
    - Adam Driver as Kylo Ren. The only line that sounded silly, cuz he acted like a child, was when he said "and when I kill you, I will have killed the last jedi" (during the fight with holo-Luke).

TOASTEROVEN and thehighground like this.
  19. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Some favorite elements:

- Snoke! Brilliantly realised in this film. Great work by the visual artists & Serkis.
    - The Kylo-Rey scenes.
    - Loved the two perspectives of Kylo & Luke in recounting their incident. Kylo's version shows an evil maniacal looking Luke trying to murder him. When Luke tells it he's far more sympathetic. Brings home the "certain point of view" principle.
    - The idea of the Resistance ships being smaller & faster & therefore able to stay beyond the range of the SD's weapons was very clever. Made for great tension.
    - Del Toro's character was not likeable but he was well played. Another weirdly distinctive side character in the mold of Saw from R1.
    - The reveal of Luke as a Force projection!
    - Hamill was perfect in this film. All of his humor worked brilliantly too.
    - The Falcon through the red crystal caves.
    - Kylo may be a **** but he's hugely compelling. Some powerful work by Driver. Like when the FO walkers are all firing on Luke & he screams "more...MORE!!"

Other observations:

- Noticed Gareth Edwards standing next to the Resistance guy who tastes the salt on the ground on Crait.
    - One nice little detail which gives up Luke being a Force projection. On Crait they make a point of showing Kylo's shoes removing the white layer to show the red ground. A close up of Luke's foot marks show no disturbance of the surface.

20. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Poe giving BB-8 a belly rub.

21. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    I had several, but if i had to pick one it would have to be the return of Yoda as a force ghost. Specifically for the fact that it was the puppet Yoda from the OT and not CGI.

Side note, maybe Yoda could interact with his surroundings because of how powerful he is with the force, just as powerful as Luke is.

darth_of_denmark likes this.
  22. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    This sad sack agrees. Leia's line about her new haircut was hilarious.

cwustudent likes this.
  23. OriForce

OriForce Jedi Padawan

Dec 20, 2015
    Holdo's light speed bullet shot is spectacularly done, but in term of the tension and the emotional impact I prefer Paige's sacrifices. These two heroic (or should I say "heroinic") sacrifices stand out in the movie.

Edit: the next 4 paragraphs on "light speed bullet shot WOMD" are snapped and put in the "complaints" thread, though I actually don't view it as a "complaint" but more of a discussion of how a Pndora box is opened.

24. otherworlds

otherworlds Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2016
    most of the dialogue between Poe and C3PO yeahh they just don't get along

or how Luke just throws the lightsaber behind him (goes and does the one thing i never thought of when thinking of what his possible reactions were)

then you have R2 playing the old Leia message, but that droid is actually making a point and not being so silly as you might think. In this case, Luke Skywalker is the only hope.

MarcJordan likes this.
  25. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015
    Lots to love!

Opening space battle.
    The resistance ships being blown by the Supremacy one by one... you can feel the inevitability of their situation
    That freaking throne room scene
    Holdo's sacrifice
    Luke and Kylo's show off! Got kenobi/maul vibes from rebels... few moves but beautifully shot
    Having no clue how ep 9 will go haha

TOASTEROVEN and Grey Matter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.