main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST Complimentary Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Too on the nose for me. I like the general concept, and it's not a deal breaker but I would have tweaked it a little.

TK327, TCF-1138 and Martoto77 like this.
  2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    just noticed in the tlj infiltration scenes, dj has his fo cap on backwards.

3. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Luke looking at himself in a disappointing light : "All because I was Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master. A legend" - Because he failed.
    The black stable kid at the end of TLJ calling Luke's name in a positive and brilliant light "....Luke Skywalker Jedi Master" - Because Luke actually succeeded in the end.

MJ

4. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I didn't catch it myself and never would have on my own, but Luke's journey began with a projection of Leia asking for help and ended with a projection of him helping Leia.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  5. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I love the way Kylo seems to be making a point of being totally reticent during the throne-room scenes with Rey and Snoke.

The only reaction he makes to anything is when Snoke lets on that he put him and Rey together in the force connect.

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  6. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    You're so right. That one word and the way he says it perfectly captures everything about Kylo.

7. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I love so many small moments in this film: The way the music soars when Poe spins his X-wing, takes out the tie fighters and drops away from the Dreadnought. Or Luke sitting in mourning in the Falcon. Or pretty much every fleeting moment we had with Captain Canady.

But my current favourite is Finn's face when he says "May the force be with you" then nobly bows his head to Rose. He really wants to get rid of her so he vacuously plucks it out of the air and uses it as a prop to further the illusion that he is a rebel. The way he temporarily stands there afterwards assuming the statue-like heroic stance of a great figure makes me chuckle each time.

8. Mnguy12001

Mnguy12001 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 1, 2018
    My favorite scene is when Reys fighting the guard and he headlock her, while his arm teleported through her lightsaber and the knife in his other hand stabs her and cuts her spinal cord....oh wait.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Leave the snark out of this thread.

RiddleMeThis likes this.
  10. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    You need a hug.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    A really minor detail in that scene which I find to be incredibly brilliant is when Rey attempts to pull Anakin's lightsaber to her but Snoke causes it to fly past her and return to his possession... after taking a detour to slam into the base of her skull. Kylo does not even glance upward during this but moves his head out of the lightsaber's path as it goes rocketing just past him. He has probably attempted this doomed-to-fail maneuver against Snoke, himself, and is familiar with getting a lightsaber hilt in the back of his own head. It is so subtle but says so much about his understanding of Snoke's power.

12. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Exactly. It tells me he's been whacked on the head before and has learned to avoid it.

13. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    That, and he was almost hit by the same saber when Rey pulled it on SKB.

14. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    Just want to say I love that you all(mostly) loved something about this film and the dvd sales reports prove even further that many others loved this film. This movie does have something for everyone while also challenging you IMO. Still love Yoda, Luke, and Snoke scenes.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Grey Matter, Doom_Buggy and Kalmanta like this.
  15. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    So thinking about this:
    Old Luke/Rey - Old Ben/Luke relationship.
    1. Luke seeks out Old Ben and Old Ben finds Luke.
    2. Luke refuses the call/Rey refuses call from Maz (invert of Yoda).
    3. Rey is the call.
    4. Rey seeks Old Luke/Old Luke refuses the call again.
    5. Old Ben goes on a damn fool idealistic crusade/Old Luke Rejects damn fool idealistic crusade.
    6. Old Ben atones for misdeeds w/Padawan Anakin/Old Luke atones for Padawan Ben.
    7. Old Ben becomes one with the Force in person. Old Luke becomes one with the Force across space and time.

Kind of great symmetrical inversions between these characters.

16. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Ha! Never noticed this before. Great spot.

17. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    It's not my absolute favourite moment or anything, but the Falcon diving into the caves as TIE Fighter Attack comes on gives me chills every time. TLJ clearly trades the least on nostalgia of any of the new films, which means that moments like that feel EARNED when they come.

Martoto77 and Satipo like this.
  18. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    So much of DJ's dialogue sounds like it could have been pulled from Johnson's Brick, but I especially love "Don't let the wrapper fool you, friend." Just rolls off the tongue.

19. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I was lukewarm on DJ at first. I really like him now. Really adds a different vibe to the saga.

Luke'sSeveredHand and Martoto77 like this.
  20. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I like how nonchalant he is, especially with: "Maybe." He doesn't argue Finn's assertion; he just rolls with it, almost like a Jedi but with a more self-serving purpose.

21. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Rey almost touches the books. But....
    Luke : "Why are you here?"
    Rey: “Something inside me has always been there and now it's awake. And I'm afraid. I do not know what it is...or what to do with it. And I need help.”

[​IMG]

Rey touches the mirror. But....
    Rey: "I thought I'll find answers here. I was wrong. "

[​IMG]

MJ

oncafar, Doom_Buggy, rorow1 and 5 others like this.
  22. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    ".....please"
    [​IMG]

"...please"
    [​IMG]

MJ

oncafar, Lost_Hope and Martoto77 like this.
  23. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I really liked the scene, but I agree that it was a bit too on the nose. I'd prefer it if he was a little less specific describing every action, but still indicated that he could sense Kylo's intent on "killing his true enemy". The scene still works, though, and Serkis did a fantastic job regardless.

rorow1, Satipo and TCF-1138 like this.
  24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I rewatched TLJ for the first time since January the other day. While I thought some parts dragged more than I remembered (the space chase specifically), I must say I found so, so much to be as enjoyable - if not more so - as when I saw it in the cinema.

Not details or lines, but favorite aspects of the film include (but are not limited to):
    -Everything with Luke and Ahch-To. Perfection. I honestly think the Ahch-To parts are up there with my all-time favorite SW sequences (Dagobah in TESB, the Throne Room in ROTJ), which I never thought possible!
    -DJ. I love DJ, and not just because "DJ" was my nickname in high school (those are my initials, I wasn't a DJ :p ). Benicio Del Toro is fantastic in the role, and the character fits so well into the GFFA.
    -Canto Bight. Yep. Love it.
    -The throne room. Just awesome.

25. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Agree 100%.

@TCF-1138 - agree with all that too. Only bits that don't land for me are some of Poe's arc and some of the Hux gags.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    TCF-1138 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.