main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST Complimentary Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    It’s been mentioned before, but I seriously love that Luke appears before Leia as a hologram moments before he becomes one with the Force. Luke first saw Leia via a hologram in ANH. That reversal really works for me. If Rian intended that I say BRAVO.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    For me he’s far more than a hologram. He’s hearing and listening and reacting and basically alive in a second place while his body remains alive.

I liken it more as a reminder of Yoda’s “Luminous beings are we. Not this crude matter.” And I think that it’s basically the “alive” version of becoming a Force ghost before becoming one with the Light and that you die from simply transferring your spirit (the real you) from outside your physical body while it’s still alive and into the larger galaxy for too long. Had he perhaps done it only briefly he might have survived it but he did what he thought was necessary to help and it cost him.

It’s the master of two worlds of the late stages of the hero’s journey. The cosmic dancer as Campbell put it.

I know a lot of people like the hologram mirror idea and whatever makes others enjoy Star Wars I’m happy about but I think it’s far more profound than that.

3. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Yes, it’s much more than a hologram. He is truly putting his life on the line to save the resistance. For all intents and purposes, he’s really on Crait.

4. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I love the new feeling that our knowledge about what is possible to do with the Force is expanding so much.

It is not unreasonable to think that Luke can appear in IX and interact with the world.

5. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    If they want to go that way, there's nothing to stop them.

Ricardo Funes and themoth like this.
  6. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Yoda’s appearance in TLJ gives them permission to do it. He hits Luke with a stick, sits down and takes down the tree with lightning. It’s up to JJ.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  7. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Well, Obi-Wan interracted with branches and “sat,” too. So, I don’t see those aspects as new.

The release of energy in the form of lightning within the cloud is new but it also didn’t impact anything alive and in fact burning that long dead tree to start new life may not have been “interefering” to bring it back to some of the loose rules established by Obi-Wan in the OT. It was also a crisis of faith moment for once of the most important Light Side users in recent memory so if anyone can make the case to “existence” that desperate times require desperate measures for a Holy man connected to their order who’s been worthy of joining them in the Light but lost his way... its Luke’s mentors. I say this last bit jokingly because we have no idea how the rules work in that plane of existence but not entirely jokingly because if there was a time for exception to rules that was it.

Similarly, I think the Force ghosts seem to be able to interact with Force sensitive people they have connections with stronger than anyone else. They have been able to communicate right into the mind since the OT but can also visualize themselves in ways that only other Force users see.

Yoda’s ability to “hit” Luke reminds me of Luke’s ability to kiss Leia or Ben and Leia’s ability to hold the dice. It might be exclusive to Force relationships and more of a trick or the mind where they’re influencing the feelings of the person in the mind while simultaneously providing the visual rather than it being something that they could do with anyone.

But that’s merely my interpretation. It’s true that JJ could take it in a vastly different direction than that.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    OK, that is pretty much nowhere.

Deerborne likes this.
  9. Deerborne

Deerborne Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2015
    Not sure why it took me so long to mention this because I noticed it after my first viewing, but I love that the tired "rescue the princess" trope used in ANH is subverted in TFA. They still go to rescue her, but she's already rescuing herself this time!

rorow1 likes this.
  10. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The slight look of satisfaction Chewie gives out the corner of his eye when the porg splats against the cockpit side window.

Sarge and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  11. Kalmanta

Kalmanta Jedi Padawan

Jul 22, 2017
    The scene on Crait when Leia is reported that the distress signal was heard but came back without a response, her reaction was so good. I really felt the devastation (mainly in her voice and posture) and it was heartbreaking to see Leia that way. I‘m so glad Rian didn‘t kill her off at the beginning so we could cherish these powerful moments.

Ody_Mandrell likes this.
  12. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Handing over symbolism.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

=====================================================================================

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MJ

13. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    THE FORCE AWAKENS:
    • I love Kylo's demeanor and his scenes on Jakku at the beginning of the movie. He commands respect and attention as he comes off the ship...
    • Han Solo and Chewie's entrance is great
    • The arrival to Takodana and rey's reaction "I didn't know there was so much green in the whole galaxy"
    • Han and Leia's reunion after the Takodana battle
    • Han's death scene was so well done
    • I love Kylo and Rey's face-off on Starkiller Base. It's beautiful and intense. You don't know which way its gonna go when you first see it. The world cracking and separating them was a good addition.
    • The Jedi Footsteps ending leading up to Luke Skywalker. It's a literal cliffhanger.
    THE LAST JEDI:
    • Snoke's scene with Kylo where he mocks his mask and zaps him with force lightning, then right after when Kylo throws a tantrum and destroys his mask on the elevator. This is a slow turning point for Kylo as he begins to lose his sanity even more
    • Poe's scenes with Vice Admiral Holdo. This showed Poe's gumption and leadership abilities but also Holdo's calmness and leadership as well. When you have two people who are qualified to lead, they both bring 2 ways of doing things to the table. Sometimes you need a fly-boy like Poe, sometimes you need a cooler head taking charge. Really interesting side-story in the movie , I thought. I love how LEIA and HOLDO both laugh at Poe's troublemaking and admit they admire it. Basically because they're both the same or were the same growing up
    • I love Rey being launched out of the ship in that coffin-esque escape pod and how she arrives to be with Kylo
    • The whole Snoke throne room scene from start to finish.
    • Luke and Kylo face off on Crait
    • The ending where the broom boy kid watches a ship jump into hyperspace while he's on Canto Bight, then when he reveals the Resistance ring that Rose/Finn gave him

rorow1, Grey Matter, Kalmanta and 2 others like this.
  14. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    The tale of two gloves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MJ

15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Comedically, my favorite is Kylo's uber dry: "The droid...stole a freighter?"

Non-comedically, my favorite is Kylo's chillingly delivered: "Look how old you've become."

TK327, Ricardo Funes, rorow1 and 4 others like this.
  16. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Adding in the eye-roll that Peavey does when Hux pretends he's pleased that Snoke wishes to speak with him. Superb.

17. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Kylo screaming for the Falcon to be blasted out of the sky left me with a huge grin on my face. And of course, it was followed by Chewie’s expert flying. Really good scene.

18. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    From TFA:

- The Finn/Poe exchange regarding saving him being "the right thing to do" versus "you need a pilot."
    - The Finn/BB-8/Rey exchange about the Resistance Base while trying to fix the Falcon.
    - Han and Leia's Reunion interrupted by C-3PO
    - Rey's trek to the top of the island where she meets Luke.
    - Rey force pulling the lightsaber.
    - Rey's introduction. For whatever reason that gets me every dang time.
    - Han and Chewie: "We're home."

From TLJ:
    - Luke's explanation of the force and the hubris of the Jedi belief that they're required to keep the light; seemed to transcend the order to a degree while at the same time fully embracing everything Yoda taught him in ESB.
    - Luke and R2 on the Falcon.
    - Yoda and Luke.
    - Luke and Leia.
    - Luke to Kylo: "Every word you just said is wrong."
    - Rey stealing the books/Yoda's quip regarding there being "nothing in that library which [she] does not already possess."
    - Holdo's sacrifice.
    - DJ's advice.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  19. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Hux fears no one.

Satipo, Lost_Hope and rorow1 like this.
  20. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    It's okay to cry.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

MJ

21. chemicalsam

chemicalsam Jedi Knight

Mar 6, 2017
    Pretty much all of it, there wasn't anything I didn't like about it. Love the sequel trilogy so far and cannot wait to episode 9. But if I had to pic just one thing, probably Luke on Crait.

22. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Snoke scene with Rey in the Throne Room.
    “Closer I said..”
    Luke on Crait

Satipo and Lost_Hope like this.
  23. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    This whole scene is too good. Earlier he said "Come closer child...." and when Rey holds her ground I loved the response "so much strength...." then he goes on quite exquisitely. I'm also reminded and its probably only accidentally, when Supreme Chancellor Palpatine calls Anakin "Anakin, come closer....I have good news". But as for TLJ, Rey gets the bad news that Snoke set both Rey and Kylo up by the mind bridge. The great news though is that eventually Anakin/Vader and Kylo kill their Masters! Different context, situation and eras of course.

MJ

Jcuk likes this.
  24. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Snoke’s lightning use on Kylo made me almost jump. Awesome moment.

25. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Both of the throne room scenes are quite superb. Serkis is faultless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.