main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST Complimentary Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I like how understated it is compared to the uses of Force Lightning we've seen before.

2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    It’s more powerful and explosive too. Snoke doesn’t compare to Palpatine in terms of scheming, but at least from what we’ve seen with the Force I’d say he was stronger.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah. I feel he has more menace.

Ody_Mandrell and Ricardo Funes like this.
  4. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    It was interesting watching Snoke using Force lightning on his own apprentice. If he wanted he could have killed Kylo right there.

He fired the lightning at the ground next to Kylo, am I right?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    MarcJordan and Martoto77 like this.
  5. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    Good spot. I never noticed that before. He clearly bounces it off the floor.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  6. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Yep. I noticed that from the beginning. Ben was extremely lucky he killed Snoke in the way he did, because in terms of raw power he wouldn’t even come close.

7. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    I guess this is how some Dark Side users kill their masters. Sidious told Anakin (but Anakin vision was too clouded to understand) that he killed Plagueis while Plagueis was sleeping.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    DarthTalonx and Ody_Mandrell like this.
  8. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    As it appeared to Ben that Luke was trying to do to him.

9. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Hi guys..im doing a survey and need "data" if you have some time to spare...i've asked the same things in the "sanctuary" thread. I need those who loved the movie to answer too so i thought this place would be the right one:

My feeling is that people disagree over TLJs qualities because of how they envision what SW is..more than a difference in cinema taste.

For you guys who loved the movie, my question is:
    1)what are your favourite films from THIS decade.
    2)what are some of your all time favourite movies.
    I'd be thankful if some of you guys reply or MP.the more data i can collect the better, thanks :)

10. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    1.) Zodiac, Inglourious Basterds, It Follows, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Toy Story 3, Moon, Hot Fuzz/The World's End
    2.)Vertigo, Psycho, John Carpenter's The Thing, The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp, A Matter Of Life And Death, Taxi Driver, Jaws, CE3K

11. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    After thinking about it for a while, my favorite scene is when Rey is scavenging the wreckage of the Star Destroyer. The imagery of the once powerful Star Destroyer in ruins with nothing beside it except a small X-Wing visually tells me that the Galactic Empire is long gone and all there's left is buried in the sand.

[​IMG]

It's a powerful reintroduction to the Star Wars Saga and a perfect gateway into a new era. Time is moving forward and not remaining in static. Stories of OT have become myths and legends. And the fallen Star Destroyer vindicated the ending of ROTJ that the Rebels won at minimal costs. The ruins here only make us wonder... How much has changed over the past 30 years? What is the state of the galaxy now? Who are the new baddies in town? And who will be our new heroes to inherit the torch of Luke, Han and Leia?

12. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    1) Aside from Star Wars, to be honest, I am not too crazy for any movies of this decade. If we talk about 2000-2010, then I would find many more movies I love (see below). All Marvel movies are "watchable" only, I do not care about their characters, I do not care about their stories, they are just a pastime, a good one, but still just something I do not worry too much.

2) Aside from Star Wars, I love Lord of the Rings trilogy, Matrix, Indiana Jones, The Hobbit trilogy, Back to the Future, The Godfather 1&2 (3 is just ok), the Man With No Name "trilogy" (from Sergio Leone - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly is the best of the trilogy), Once Upon a Time in the West, Rocky (all of them, but the last two are weaker), Blade Runner, and all classical Disney animations (including the newer ones like Lion King and others), Ratatoille, Wall-E, Toy Story trilogy (all of them), Rescuing Private Ryan, Jurassic Park 1 (the others are pure trash in my opinion), Ferris Bueller's Day Off, This is Spinal Tap, Forrest Gump, 2001: A Space Odissey, The Wizard of Oz, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, ET, and all the trash 80's movies like Rambo, Cobra, Terminator and these kinds of 80's action movies in general which are just a guilty pleasure.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  13. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Leia passing through the hologram of Snoke’s ship, foreshadowing it splitting in half later on. Genius reference.

14. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    It is so sad that so many great references and symbologies in the ST are so subtle that 99.9% cannot get all of them. This is one that I never got until you mentioned, but it is true, it is clearly a reference to what would happen.

15. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    The movie is littered with that motif. Rey blasting through Kylo's projected form. Kylo blasting through Luke's projection. All of them either resulting in or emerging from a breach in a wall or door.

16. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Looks like I'm due for another rewatch because I never noticed that. ]-}

Ricardo Funes, Satipo and MarcJordan like this.
  17. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Rey: “Luke Skywalker? I thought he was a myth?

Luke : “Luke Skywalker. A legend

This is so nuanced I don’t know where to start.

MJ

18. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    It is beautiful that the message is that the real Luke was playing the legendary Luke.

It is a very grown up Star Wars movie.

19. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Rey “I need someone to show me, my place in all of this “

Ben: “ You have no place in this story”

Rey’s decision in spite of this huge temptation finally realises what she has to do and not to succumb to “

The fact is the clue was given here:

Maz : “ Dear child! The longing you seek is not behind you, it is in front of you” 

Not so much a “place” but a “choice”.

Pure Star Wrars.

Deep grown up stuff. Yes or no?

MJ

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  20. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    He found a way to be what Rey needed him to be.

The reasons for their exile are different, but the same logic applies. Could have Yoda single handedly faced down the entire Empire/First Order and defeated them all? No.

Han and Luke became war heroes/legends and had several famous feats that people remembered. Han had the Kessell Run (mentioned in TFA) and Luke had the Death Star destruction/redeeming Vader. These feats were done in their heyday and they never escaped that fame. The Empire had been defeated for a long time as well, meaning the stakes were no longer as high.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Martoto77 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  21. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I love this thread.

22. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Loved the nature aspect of the Force during the first Lesson that Luke was able to get Rey to understand the Force by reaching out from within.

But what happens in this whole sequence is imo a juxtaposition and the same time contrasting twist to Anakin’s “lesson “ when the Jedi Council tested him in TPM.

Mace holds the viewer and tests Anakin's Force ability with the inanimate and machinery. “A ship, a cup, a speeder, a ship” And we see the items but don’t get a glimpse of Anakin’s emotional state till Yoda asks how he FEELS. Anakin says he feels COLD and Ki Adi Mundi says that Anakin's thoughts dwell about his mother. Yoda then tells Anakin that he must know that his fear of loss about losing his mother may decide his fate with “EVERYTHING!” .

Whereas in TLJ, Luke instructs Rey to breathe and FEEL. Then we see what she visualizes in her mind "The island. Life. Death and decay... that feeds the new life. Warm. Cold. Peace. Violence , wherein Rey thoughts dwells “beneath the Island” and she says it’s COLD . Luke reveals “....raw strength...did not scare him then but...,"IT DOES NOW!".

Finally the former takes place in Coruscant, a planet that is a city. While the latter takes place on Ahch-To an Island.

MJ

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  23. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    That's a really good point actually. I hadn't noticed that. Good call. I think it's intentional.

Ricardo Funes and MarcJordan like this.
  24. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Yeah, he’s less the politician obviously than Palpatine was. Palpatine tried to continue to make Anakin feel like he was a trusted bodyguard and friend deliberately. He understood the value of the carrot being more important than the stick in taming Anakin and keeping him motivated. Snoke is more stick and less carrot with Ben Solo.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Ricardo Funes and MarcJordan like this.
  25. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Favorites of past 10 years that weren’t Star Wars (presumably):
    Drive
    Django Unchained
    Inglorious Basterds
    There Will Be Blood
    Inside Out
    Up
    Toy story 3
    Whiplash
    The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
    Grand Budapest Hotel
    Moonrise Kingdom
    Midnight in Paris
    Mud
    Beasts of the Southern Wild
    Boyhood
    Bladerunner 2049
    Persepolis
    Her
    Armour
    3 Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri
    Blue Ruin
    Logan
    Looper
    The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug
    Ex Machina
    The Imitation Game
    Inception
    Interstellar
    Creed
    Happy Go Lucky
    12 Years a Slave
    The Dark Knight
    The Dark Knight Rises
    The Planet of the Apes trilogy
    Star Trek
    Star Trek into Darkness
    The Social Network
    Room
    Get Out
    Nightcrawler
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Life of Pi
    Thor Ragnarok
    (Haven’t seen Black Panther yet so can’t comment)

I’ll comment on my all time later but I have to get ready for work.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.