main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The *Official* 2006 FIFA World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by rhonderoo, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquila_Skywalker

Aquila_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2004
    Not really. I hope this doesn't mean England sit deep and play the long ball. That's a recipe for disaster. Although, this could mean Gerrard and Lampard could be pushed further forward.

2. Aquila_Skywalker

Aquila_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2004
    Well, we are 1 of only 7 teams to have won the world cup so "they never win" is bollocks. Also, of all the countries that have won it more than us they all have way bigger populations bar Italy (Uruguay don't count becaue we never took part when they won it the first time, not sure about 1950) so that's crap too.

I guess poor footballing knowledge like that is why he's managing Trinidad & Tobago instead of somebody like England [face_laugh]

3. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005

4. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson will play Steven Gerrard in an advanced role behind Michael Owen in Tuesday's friendly against Hungary. (Various)

Hooray!

Meanwhile, Eriksson is to deploy Jamie Carragher in a holding role in front of the defence. (Various)

Ha! I suggested this almost a year ago. Never ever thought Sven would 'take my advice'.

Carlos Sainz will base his Real Madrid presidency bid on a pledge to bring in Arsene Wenger as coach. (Various)

I love their pledges during elections.

Wigan are lining up a £3m move for Birmingham striker Emile Heskey after missing out on signing England striker Andy Johnson. (Various)

Wigan to go down. You heard it here first.

5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
  6. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    [face_worried] Geez that sucks the big one. :(
    Poor Rooney. Poor England

7. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    I really, REALLY hope that he makes it & England does well..... [face_mischief]

Sarcasm, anyone ??? anyone ??

8. George_Roper

May 1, 2005
  9. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    i think he'll play. i think he's rather ****ing paranoid, though. he felt something in that newcastle game, goes to the doc, and it's nothing (i think they ruled it as being just the scar tissue coming loose or something), now he complains about a tight thigh which also is ruled to be nothing?

i think mentally he just doesn't want to miss the WC and thus doesn't want to risk ANYTHING. i'm sure he'll be fine after the 24 hr period before the first game is up, though.

10. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm slightly encouraged than England are taking Rooney to Germany. Okay he's going to fly back for his scan, but they must still be maintaining a sliver of confidence if they're prepared to introduce him to the hotel and 'base camp' environment. If they were really pessimistic, then Rooney wouldn't come to Germany until after his scan.

11. George_Roper

May 1, 2005
    Robinson, Gary Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, Ashley Cole, Carragher, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, Joe Cole, Owen.

Today's starters and it seems Sven' first choice XI without Rooney. I like provided Gerrard is a withdrawn striker, so that Owen isn't left up there on his own.

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    The curious one there is Carragher. He's a defender, and yet there he is in the holding role. What's the point of having Carrick and Hargreaves in the squad if, when their favoured position opens up, they're not filling it?

13. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Depressingly poor.

Carragher is good defensivly but poor when pushing forwards

Bring on Carrick

14. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I enjoyed the pictures of Rooney walking along the touchline at the start, and then later laughing about something whilst watching the match. Impressive stuff.

Owen's been alert, Becks has justified his selection ahead of Lennon, Gerrard is not a striker (wearing the number 9, what's the deal with that?!?!) but is aquitting himself reasonably well, Lampard has barely been in the game, and everytime an England player goes to ground my heart skips a beat.

EDIT: YES! Owen Hargreaves is coming on at half time! [face_plain]

15. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Neville off.

Hargreaves on [face_plain]

EDIT: DAMN YOU E!

Tight hamstring for Neville apparently.

Carragher now RB and Hargreaves in preferred holding role.

I'd have prefered Carrick but at least we now have a round(ish) peg in a round hole.

16. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    1-0

Number 9 Gerrard

:p

2-0

Terry

17. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Sven is a grade A moron.

Steve McLaren should be a step up.

England really have no chance with this guy in charge.

18. Liverpool

Liverpool Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    They have a chance. As long as they ignore whatever Sven says. :p

2-1 :(

19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    B linding goal from Hungary

20. Liverpool

Apr 23, 2005
    I'm not sure about this double sub. [face_worried]

21. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
  22. Liverpool

Apr 23, 2005
    Oh my. This is even worse now. :(

Brilliant save!

I take back what I said about the double sub. :D
    Now you have to change your sig Master-FatBurt. :p

23. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Crouch ]-}

He may be able to justfy his place yet

24. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    got to be satisfied with that. Gerrard showed he can perform in Rooney's role, although i still think he's (obviously) better suited slightly further back. still dubious about Owen but i think with more minutes he'll be fine. Beckham can go 20 minutes doing absolutely nothing but just oozes class when he wants to, definately a starter. some AMAZING crosses tonight and always a danger. Joe Cole might have been the best player on the pitch. Carragher played better than Haegraves who continues to be just absolutely bollocks tbh but and as others have said, i'd like to see Carrick given more of an opportunity... hopefully he'll get a run on Saturday. i'd start him against Jamaica but i have a feeling Carragher might get another run out. back 4 pick themselves. Terry could, and will be a HUGE difference this campaign as opposed to 2002.

as the pundits pointed out, Carragher definately shores up the defence but he doesn't have Makelele's passing and control through the middle. i would play Carrick because i have a lot of time for the defenders. Crouch will play a lot of second halves this WC i imagine.

E, i'm still remaining pessimistic about Rooney until this next, final scan. if he is ruled to be fit, though, and judging by this 'plan B' performance tonight, i'll be very happy.

25. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004

Believe me they know hell. Everytime we go to an away matych in a Hispanic during qualifying its a living hell. Especially Guatemala and Mexico. They know hell and the way the fans boo, throw things and spit on American players every game

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.