main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Kyptastic, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a4/Beijing2008_logo.png]

One World, One Dream

We are now just a year away from the games of the XXIX Olympiad, the 2008 Beijing Olympics. The first games to be held in China, and the third in Asia, will see up to 205 Nations compete in 302 events over 28 sports. The Olympics, as always, see's many flock to the host nation to cheer on their athletes, with many more tuning in on TV, Radio and the Internet to view the action.

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/37/Friendlies_Beibei.jpg]
    Prosperity

Like many other's, the Arena will count down to the Opening Ceremony on the 8th of August. In the meantime, all Olympic related news and speculation should go in this thread for the time being.

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4b/Friendlies_Huanhuan.jpg]
    Passion

As always, there's plenty to discuss. Are you looking forward to the games? Do you have memories of previous games you'd like to share? What Olympic sports are your favourite? Which individuals do you expect to dominate? Will China finally win the medal tally? The possibilities are endless.

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d4/Friendlies_Jingjing.jpg]
    Happiness

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Man I love the Olympics. You can't hype it enough for my tastes. A year out and I'm already psyched for it.

Man I hate Olympic Mascots. You can't show them too little for my tastes. I'm already sick of the London mascot.

3. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I love the Olympics, although I don't watch it very studiously. I like seeing all the different athletes from all over the world coming together, and the different places it's hosted at.

4. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Is the green in the Happiness' panda bear headdress representative of all the USD bonds China holds? They don't have to be so smug about it.

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    As a mascot collector I must disagree with you there. I've actually already got the mascot for these games, and it's my first for a summer olympics as well.

Anyway I think the track and field world championships in Osaka in the end of August will be interesting. I mean it's quite clear that all the results there will be analysed with a thought towards Beijing.

6. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I like the Olympics and hate the coverage.

Summer games spend way too much time on gymnastics and winter games fixate on figure skating. Anything that has a score for "artistic" merit doesn't garner my interest.

I know both of these are huge ratings grabbers, but I'd much rather watch some of the lesser known sports.

It's a shame that someone like Bonnie Blair (speed skater) was a relative unknown for much of her career, yet ended up as one of the most decorated women in Olympics history with 5 gold medals.

Compare that to one of her contemporaries, Nancy Kerrigan (figure skater), who finished in second place one time, but after that performance was able to rake in multi-million dollar endorsement deals.

7. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm dissapointed that Beijing and the IOC caved into NBC's demands to have the swimming finals moved to the morning to fit the American market. Not only will it upset the swimmer's preparation (and finals have never been held in the morning at any high level event), but it means I probably will miss most of them live.

8. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Handball is awesome, but never shown.

Also I think the USA's reign as top medal earner is going to be challenged by China. It probably will.

9. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    I've tried to watch a fair bit of handball the last couple of Olympics, and I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Table Tennis is another, although it arguably gets greater coverage than handball. There's just something about watching the players smash that little ball across the table that's hypnotic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.