main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Abel G. Pena Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 13, 2005.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Abel Pena has written for Insider, Gamer and Polyhedron magazines, as well as Fact Files and starwars.com.

He recently wrote the "History of the Mandalorians" article in Star Wars Insider, as well as the "Droids and the Force" article on Hyperspace. He's also working on an upcoming article on the Dark Forces series.

Forum Name: Halagad_Ventor

Individual discussion threads for Abel's articles:

-The Emperor's Pawns article (was: Gamer #5 stuff @ TOS!!!)
    -Insider #80 to feature Mandalorian article, Yo Joe!
    -TOS Exclusive Article: Droids and the Force
    -Kyle Katarn's Tale (Dark Forces Articles by Abel & Jason)
    -"Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous" & "Lord of War" by Abel & Joe (SWI #86)
    -"Vader's Legacy": by Abel & Joe (SWI #88)

2. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Abel = coolest guy ever. :D

3. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    Excellent, now I will know where to check on Abel's upcoming stuff. :D

4. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Cool, I'm glad to see he got a thread of his own! I'm still really pumped for the Dark Forces article. :D

5. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Hey folks! Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words. :)

To get things going, I?ve ported over my answer to a question posted in one of the literature forum threads about the full breadth of my Star Wars work. Check it out!

CeiranHarmony wrote:
    ?Abel, another question, besides the 2 Insider articles, what else did you write? especially which Fact Files articles were yours? could you post a list??

Let?s see. Besides the ?Droids and the Force? piece for the Insider #81 online Hyperspace supplement, there was ?Who?s Who: Imperial Grand Admirals? for Star Wars Insider #66, ?History of the Mandalorians? for Insider #80, a series of interviews with the original creators of the Marvel Star Wars series, starting with ?A Marvelous Comeback? in Insider #61 and continuing in the starwars.com (not Hyperspace) piece ?The Circle is Now Complete: Classic Marvel Talents? (http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/comics/f20020718/index.html). On the rpg side of things, I also have ?The Emperor?s Pawns? article in Star Wars Gamer #5 and ?The Adventures of R2-D2 and C-3PO? in Dungeon/Polyhedron #111/170.

As for the Star Wars Fact Files cards I did, I unfortunately don?t know how D?Agostini used the work they commissioned me for, since they often recut their pieces to suit their needs and I have no official copies. ::grumble grumble:: But, here are the subjects I worked on:

Count Dooku (2 cards)
    Grand Moff Trachta
    Tycho Celchu
    Hin and Kee
    the X-10D Draft Droid
    the Anx

Lastly, taking it old school, two articles I did several years ago for the SWFA, though unofficial, have remained fairly popular over the years:

Loose Canon: A Discourse on the Public Direction of the ?Official? Star Wars Universe

http://www.myuselessknowledge.com/swfa/ED3.html

The State of the Galactic Civil War ? Part 1: From Endor to Coruscant

http://www.myuselessknowledge.com/swfa/civilwar.html

Any feedback you guys have for any of my work is encouraged and appreciated!

Take care,
    Abel

6. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Blithe wrote:
    ?Cool, I'm glad to see he got a thread of his own! I'm still really pumped for the Dark Forces article. ?

It should be very soon now, Blithe. Yesterday I just turned in Part 3 of the series. This project looks like it?s shaping up to exceed my expectations, building on some of my past Star Wars rpg work. I?ll post a link here as soon as Part 1 is up.

Take care,
    Abel

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've got all the Fact Files, Abel. I can't find an entry in the index for The Anx but there are entries for the other items in your list. Dooku has quite a few entries, though, so I would need more info to narrow him down, as well as Tycho Celchu.

8. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Thanks LAJ_FETT. Maybe we can get to the bottom of this. :) If you know the numbers of the particular issues the items appear in, that would be great.

I know the Dooku cards made it fairly intact, as per our discussions on the Fact Files thread, though I don't remember what issue they appeared in. These were about Dooku?s activities during the Clone Wars. As for Tycho Celchu, hmm, I was asked to give a broad overview of his activities from all available Star Wars literature. That means there should be stuff from Star Wars Missions, to the X-Wing comics and novels, to the NJO. There?s bits about the Ssi-ruuvi Incident, the Battle of Coruscant, and the war with the Vong.

Thanks for the help!

Best,
    Abel

9. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Tycho I found in the german issue 105, dunno where it is in your issues^^

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Here's some issue numbers from the UK Fact Files (note - I found these in the FF thread and one in the Rebelscum FF thread):

Grand Moff Trachta - #124
    Dooku - I think the issue Abel did is #116. That's where his comments were in the FF thread.
    X-10D Draft Droid - #106

Could not find Tycho or Hin & Kee listed in the thread, though they are in the index. What was the entry on Hin & Kee in relation to? I might not have listed their names in the thread.

11. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    ?Tycho I found in the german issue 105, dunno where it is in your issues^^?

Do the German and UK issues differ in numeration CH?

?Here's some issue numbers from the UK Fact Files (note - I found these in the FF thread and one in the Rebelscum FF thread):?

Ah! Thanks LAJ_FETT. :)

?What was the entry on Hin & Kee in relation to? I might not have listed their names in the thread.?

I believe this mostly covered their adventure on Mimban, along with some species traits.

Thanks again!

Best,
    Abel

12. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Importing this from the WOTC Designers thread for interested parties:

Blithe wrote:
    ?Will the Dark Forces material only be based on the games and books titled "Dark Forces" or all the other games Kyle Katarn and crew star in as well like Jedi Knight II and Academy, though they aren't sepcifically called "Dark Forces"? I could certainly understand if it only covers the "Dark Forces" entitled EU, as there is a signifigant time gap between those games and the Jedi Outcast stuff. Thanks. ?

Hey Blithe! The Dark Forces series is going to cover Dark Forces and Jedi Knight II most heavily, but Mysteries of the Sith and Jedi Outcast also get some significant screen time. Jedi Academy also gets a couple references.

We?re trying to cover everything from the first Dark Forces novella to Kyle?s time in the New Jedi Order and beyond. Tall order. Look for some interesting news as to what Kyle?s been up to post-NJO. :D

Take care,
    Abel

13. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    yeah German and UK issues differ alot.

UK issues had less content each than the germans, that´s why the german issues stopped earlier than the UK issues. and in addition to that the UK issues got several articles more than the germans because of that.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Did you (or were you allowed) to designate concrete details about Kyle's apprentice in Jedi Academy, in terms of specifiying race, gender or outcome?

15. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    This will go well with fans, who are forever hyping to see Katarn in books. Just look how they giggled at his name just mentioned in Remnant, four times more in TUF, and his single line there.

This article is the closest they'll get. As NEGTC didn't mention anything about Jedi Outcast, I'm particularly looking forward to how empowering ordinary citizens with the Force is possible.

16. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    Excellence, a lot of persons are force sensitive, just not enough to become a Jedi, so anyone with a little force sensitivity would be able to be empowered I guess.

17. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Oh boy, I cannot wait for this Dark Forces article. We are in a very lucky Star Wars era with all this focus on smaller characters! I love it. Abel, you just keep on doing whatever it is you do to get these articles!

:D

18. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    Abel, congrats on all your official AND non-official Star Wars Expanded Universe articles and essays! They are a joy to read! :)

19. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Hey folks! For those interested, the SWFA has recently updated with a Star Wars interview I gave. Among the topics covered is how to make that conversion from fan to official LFL writer, so please stop by and check it out!

www.myuselessknowledge.com/swfa

The2ndQuest wrote:
    ?Did you (or were you allowed) to designate concrete details about Kyle's apprentice in Jedi Academy, in terms of specifiying race, gender or outcome??

Hey 2ndQuest. Kyle?s apprentice is in there, but we don?t specify too much. A future source will touch on this a bit more, I believe.

Excellence wrote:
    ?This will go well with fans, who are forever hyping to see Katarn in books. Just look how they giggled at his name just mentioned in Remnant, four times more in TUF, and his single line there.?

Yeah, I was actually one of those giggling fans. :p It seems like I myself have been trying forever to get this piece published, having originally written it for Gamer back in 2001. I?ve had to revise it substantially since then. The online format also has unique advantages, and the Dark Forces piece has profited from that.

?This article is the closest they'll get. As NEGTC didn't mention anything about Jedi Outcast, I'm particularly looking forward to how empowering ordinary citizens with the Force is possible.?

Some folks might recall that as strange as that phenomenon is, there are precedents, with the story of Yoda giving Force powers to Jorj Car?das in Vision of the Future and the Resurrected Emperor empowering some darksiders in Dark Empire II.

Eyrezer wrote:
    ?Oh boy, I cannot wait for this Dark Forces article. We are in a very lucky Star Wars era with all this focus on smaller characters! I love it. Abel, you just keep on doing whatever it is you do to get these articles!?

Thanks Eyrezer. The support of the fans actually goes a long way. As long as you guys let LFL know you want to see these kinds of projects, they?ll be anxious to please.

Le_Sammler wrote:
    ?Abel, congrats on all your official AND non-official Star Wars Expanded Universe articles and essays! They are a joy to read! ?

Thanks Le_Sammler. Among the updates at the SWFA website you?ll find the 2nd of the 7 Star Warsesque Essays, this one on continuity and videogames. Enjoy! :)

Take care,
    Abel

20. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Hey, Abel, I've been meaning to ask you, and your interview just reminded me . . . what did you publish before you did the Emperor's Pawns that opened the door for you?

21. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    Abel the WOTC article was supposed to be out this month but April is almost over. Please don't tell me it was cancelled, I'm really excited about this one. [face_praying]

22. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    I'm pretty sure we are still in March :)

23. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    Well...err...I meant March. [face_blush]

24. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Ris_jSarek wrote:
    ?Hey, Abel, I've been meaning to ask you, and your interview just reminded me . . . what did you publish before you did the Emperor's Pawns that opened the door for you??

Little, but that was enough. I believe at that time I had published a poem in a small publication and had written several articles for my college paper. The former was actually telling: my first proposal to Star Wars Gamer was for an epic poem in miniature, a Dantesque tribute using Luke?s failed student Brakiss as the protagonist. Unsurprisingly, this was rejected. However, the sample I included with the proposal, along with the sample I included with my following proposal for a more conventional Emperor?s Hands expose probably gave Chris Perkins and Jeff Quick a decent insight into what kind of writer they would be contracting.

Jort wrote:
    ?Abel the WOTC article was supposed to be out this month but April is almost over. Please don't tell me it was cancelled, I'm really excited about this one. ?

It?s definitely not cancelled, though I think they?re actually going to wait until they receive the entire series from Jason and me before they start publishing them on the website. We turn in our final Minis and rpg pieces this coming Monday. :)

Take care,
    Abel

25. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    You are now my offical favorite Star Wars Modern Author as love all your works the Emperor's hand one,History of the Mandalorians, droids and the force, and now the dark forces one. I love how you mention Marvel so much times in your articles as it so much fun to read them connect back into the SW galaxy.
    Long Live Abel.