main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Admiral Ackbar Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by AdmiralNick22 , Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Ha! Well, thanks for posting it anyways. I think it is just hilarious. :)

--Adm. Nick

2. Eddie_Brock-VENOM

Eddie_Brock-VENOM Jedi Youngling

Oct 10, 2002
    This thread....is a trap!!!

3. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    and you? are a sock!!!!!!!!!!!111oneone

Evil.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    oops, I'm sorry about making another club....i didn't realize this one's existence until now.

Sorry:oops:

6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    No worries! This one has been pretty vacant for awhile, but it was created by the board's biggest Ackbar fan so we felt it should be resurrected. Glad to see some more Ackbar fans.

I'm rereading BFC and he's in there quite a bit. I'd forgotten how much of a presence he was.

7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    ACKBAR IS BACK

Nice to see my old thread back up and running. IIRC, I think we were even part of the EUC Senate way back when.

Ackbar fans, assemble! :D

--Adm. Nick

8. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    Because everyone else quotes the other line;

'Your tastebuds cant deflect flavour of that magnitude!'

I didnt even know there was an Ackbar FC around here... Thats awesome :)

9. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    This one is my personal favorite:

"I do not like fire analogies. As we say on Mon Calamari, Frolic in the surf and get drowned by the undertow."

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/grandadmiraljello/Ackbar.gif]

11. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    You know, I'm honestly not sure whether I find that to be more amusing or disturbing...

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Now that I am back in the EUC, will someone tell me what the hell this Civil War thing is all about? Is this some game you all play or did the democractic government of your boards really get taken over. :p

--Adm. Nick
    --Supreme Commander of the Admiral Ackbar Fan Club

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    It's a game, Nick. Well, for the most part...

Is it a good or bad thing that, when Sien Sovv died and went into the Afterlife, I really wanted Ackbar to be there... punching that stupid Sullustan in the face while ranting about how much of an utter idiot he was?

"It took me half my life-half my kriffin' life-to buold up the NRDF, and you squander it in how long? You let Coruscant fall to those morons? I was rolling over in my grave, and I wasn't even dead yet!"

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    A game you say? What is the goal of the game? :p

As for Sien Sovv, I actually developed a bit of a soft spot for him. Especially after Destiny's Way. He really comes into his own in that book, under Ackbar's guidance.

--Adm. Nick

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The goal for the Sith is to try and take over the boards, while the Alliance and the Empire want to stop that. :p

Does the situation sound familiar at all? ;)

16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Hmm, vaguely reminds me of a comic series I am reading... :p

--Adm. Nick

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *enters on his walking throne*

If it makes you feel any better, Admiral, the Sith Emperor of the EUC is myself. Obviously not prone to bouts of insanity, like Krayt or Sidious.

As such, I shall be accepting your patronage.

18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I am too much of a Rebel at heart. I do not support your reign of tyranny! :p

--Adm. Nick

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Tyranny? I am cut from Fel. I am a benevolent Emperor. Ignore those rumours about Yuuzhan Vong working with me, of course.

*smiles politely*

Your patronage?

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I have joined the Galactic Forum Alliance, committing my fleets to it's defense. I cannot swear loyalty to the Sith!

--Adm. Nick

(BTW, it is fun to see how many Litizens (Jello, you, etc) all act different in the EUC. I figured it looked fun and decided to come back over. :p)

21. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    You're a better man than I am then, Nick. In one fic I wrote, Ackbar did slap him, take over and bust him down to Ensign.

Seriously, for his incompetence, he should've gotten a firing squad.

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, my view is that the wiser move on the part of the NR High Command would of been to remove Sovv from overall command. As pointed out in Destiny's Way, Sovv did have admirable skills as an administrator and organizer. He is actually a perfect peacetime Supreme Commander- someone who can focus on keeping the Defense Force running, supplied, and equipped with the latest ships.

However, peacetime commanders make poor war commanders. Borsk Fey'lya should of realized this and promoted someone more aggressive like Garm Bel Iblis or Kre'fey to the position. Instead, Fey'lya chose to keep Sovv probably because he figured he could control him better.

I do give Sovv credit for one other thing. It is established in DW that he was one of the military officers who had been giving Ackbar top secret information on the Vong and other data during the war. Basically, I have a hunch that the upper echelons were making sure Ackbar was up to speed in case he was recalled to active duty.

--Adm. Nick

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Sovv wasn't incompetent so much as he was playing beyond his strategic capabilities and limited by his political superiors. He should have stood up more strongly to Fey'lya and relied more on people like Kre'fey, Bel Iblis, and Antilles, but you'll note a significant improvement in his performance after Fey'lya was killed and his powerbase broken -- Sovv's political oversight was lessened and he began to rely more heavily on his most competent subordinates as he was freer to do so. In short, he was hardly an ideal commander, but neither was he incompetent. Just flawed. There's a reason Sovv was constantly trying to tender his resignation after Fey'lya died -- he knew he was in over his head, too, and wanted someone more strategically savvy in his place. One could speculate, in fact, that he only held on as long as he did because he knew that, under Fey'lya, if he had resigned or gone sufficiently against the COS to be relieved of duty, Fey'lya would have appointed a total crony and the New Republic would have been even worse off.

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Very, very interesting analysis, Havac. I like the idea of Sovv holding on to prevent Fey'lya from installing some puppet Supreme Commander who he could walk all over. I have never though of looking at his situation like that, but it is certainly plausible and makes Sovv that much more an interesting and sympathetic character.

Switching back to Ackbar briefly, I wonder if he will appear in Shadows of Mindor? Granted the battle of Mindor was directed by General Luke Skywalker, but there is room for a couple of scences where Luke meets with Ackbar and the NRDF High Command for a planning session.

IIRC, Luke's campaign in the Inner Rim was run concurrently with Ackbar's main push Coreward.

--Adm. Nick

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I haven't read SbS lately--who was the idiot who decided not to attack the refugee ships? Was it Sovv or Fey'lya that made that call? I know bel Iblis decided to go and attack anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.