main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The *Official* Ahsoka in The Clone Wars thread (general discussion)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by G-FETT, Feb 15, 2008.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, in this situation? Hell no. He had Ahsoka's ego in mind. Nothing more.

And he didn't allow her to go, he covered her ass after she chose to disobey Anakin and go anyway. Hence my comment about the sick note. It's comparable to parents telling their children that they don't have to obey the school rules if they don't want to.

She was not his apprentice, and his overriding Anakin's direct order was disrespectful to Anakin as well as sending Ahsoka the wrong message.

"You don't have to do what he says, even if he is your teacher. I'll have your back any time you would like to give him a metaphorical '**** you'."

Anakin had his reasons for wanting her to stay behind, and if Plo had some sort of problem with that, he should have gone to Anakin and discussed it with him privately.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Think of it this way people- the Jedi have been a peaceful organisation of peace-keeping warrior monks for the past 1000 years, give or take a decade or two. Suddenly they're thrust into a war and given the ranks of generals and commanders. Sure, they've always been natural leaders, and they've kept up their warrior tradition over the years, but do they really know how to be soldiers, let alone part of an army? I'd argue no, they don't. Going off that, it's reasonable that they don't necessarily have the same militaristic priorities a normal army would. You can't just look at them as soldiers, you have to look at them as Jedi. I'm by no means calling them stupid or naive, just different-- they approach war and everything that covers differently than the regimented clone army, or even the ranks of battle droids.

Lord_Anzeroth and Circular Logic like this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    True, but again...

Would Padawan Kenobi in 23 BBY been allowed to flagrantly disobey Qui-Gon and get his ass covered by Ki-Adi Mundi?

Or another example...there was that scene in the Plagueis novel in which Knight (not Padawan) Qui-Gon Jinn ripped Hego Damask a new ***hole and embarrassed the hell out of Dooku.

I've always imagined Dooku gave Qui-Gon similar treatment behind the scenes, and I doubt Yoda would have lied for Qui-Gon either.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    [face_laugh] Your comment about Dooku makes me want to read this, AFS. Poor Dooku.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    He was still a Jedi then. And you should read it.

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Problem with the Citadel arc/Ahsoka, to ME:

Anakin believed the mission was not suitable for a padawan. Ahsoka felt left out and decided to go against her master's express wish, not even coating it with a "the Force prompts me" which I MIGHT have bought, but as "boo hoo, I wanna go, too, I can help." She got lucky that Filoni wrote it so she was the "indispensable" one without whom the mission would have failed early one. Rather than a "perhaps the Force guided you to your action" response (well, I could live with that), Plo covers for her and as senior Jedi, both Obi-Wan and Anakin are essentially now unable to pursue the matter.

Then, suddenly she's best buddies with Padme and others; is chosen to teach Mandalorian kids about duty/whatever it was she was teaching them (really - their first exposure to such concepts?).

She's just as but not more than responsible for saving the slaves in the slave arc, but she's the one credited with the rescue. How about sharing some of that with Anakin and others.

I'd have to rewatch or dig up old posts before I can give other specifics that some of you request.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I see where you're coming from and agree about those particular instances, but none of them are Anakin. He's always been a special case within the Order, and gets a lot of leeway because of his status as the Chosen One, and for good or ill that status affects how other Jedi treat Ahsoka. If we're to make the assumption that 90% of the Republic comics took place pre-TCW, where Anakin was given a rather short leash, the Council may also be making up for their harsher views of him now that he's a knight.

8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Sorry for the double-post...

9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I can understand what you're saying in the abstract, I just don't think it applies to the examples you bring up. What sticks out to me about Assassin is that it has some of the best scenes with Yoda in the mentor role of the whole series, and Ahsoka is in the role of student, so the idea that it was supposed to show she has extra special powers makes no sense at all in that context. What sticks out to me about Citadel Rescue is the Jedi Council (through Plo Koon) throwing their hierarchical weight around with Anakin, and Ahsoka is simply their pawn, so the idea that it was supposed to show that she has special privileges that actually put her on top of the hierarchy makes no sense at all in that context.

I was also not a fan of Ahsoka arbitrarily deciding to go on the mission she was told not to go on and lying about it. (I have outlined a fan edit of the trilogy in which it is presented as if Plo Koon really did tell her to go which I think would have been way better.)

I also think it would have been better to have a scene where Ahsoka and Padme are formally introduced since I believe you are correct that they neglected to do that. That may have happened with another character or two as well in which case I'd say the same.

I agree that Anakin gives Ahsoka more than her share of the credit at the end of the slaver arc and Ahsoka does not insist on sharing it.

To me all of these things indicate weak points in the writing and either don't impact Ahsoka's portrayal or impact it negatively, but none of them impact it positively, so the idea that any of these things were aimed at making her appealing or even special does not compute whatsoever.

10. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Re: Plo covering for Ahsoka during Citadel - is it not possible that he's just a bit attached to her and gives her special treatment because of it...?

Also, I apologise for re-opening the can of worms... But I am really enjoying what you're all saying, so thank you all the same.

Vader'sGoodHand likes this.
  11. Vader'sGoodHand

Vader'sGoodHand Jedi Master star 3

Apr 1, 2014
    themetresgained

Stuff gets rehashed on these boards all the time. It makes for a good time! :)

12. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
  13. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    George: Dave, only through me can you achieve a power greater than ANY director! The power to save your waifu from certain death!

Dave: . . . What did you say?!

George: Use my knowledge, I BEG YOU!

14. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    That's what I see as well. Considering that Plo found Ahsoka and brought her to the temple, I would say that he must be a bit attached to her and thus giving her some leeway when it comes to such situations.
    Also, is it anywhere mentioned as to who looked after Ahsoka before becoming an apprentice to Anakin? I would guess Plo, but I am not sure...

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Being attached to her is not an excuse.

16. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    What kind of excuse?
    An excuse to her being treated more leniently from Plo or when Plo is around, then I would say it is an excuse.

For Ahsoka to get off without punishment from other Jedi, I agree it is not an excuse.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I could see Anakin and Obi-Wan having deduced from Ahsoka's lack of briefing, that Plo couldn't have sent her - they ask him the question to see just how much he trusts her - if he's willing to "bend the truth" in order to try getting her out of trouble.

When Plo says "it appears that I did" it seems less than convincing.

18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Compared with how big of a deal it is that Plo Koon throws in Anakin's face that the Jedi Council reserves the right to tell his Padawan to disobey his direct orders without even bothering to give him notice, I really could not care less whether Ahsoka got a slap on the wrist in between episodes for disobedience.

The Star Wars saga is about the Skywalkers, not Ahsoka.

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Of course

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I found both issues to be a problem. I never got the impression from AOTC or ROTS that we are expected to sympathize with Anakin in his complaints about the Council. Plo giving Ahsoka permission to tell Anakin "**** you, I'll do what I want," while simultaneously telling Anakin "**** you, I'll meddle in your master/apprentice relationship and override your orders any time I damn well please"? Ridiculous. What's up, Filoni, do you want to create an audience that whines along with Anakin in AOTC and cheers during the Order 66 scene?

An additional scene with both Ahsoka and Plo getting their asses verbally handed to them by Mace Windu would have redeemed this arc.

21. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Eh

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Dark Lord Tarkas

Oh, I agree about the weak writing, much as I loved TCW, there were far too many weak points in the writing - no resolutions, no consequences, etc.
    The whole thing with Obi-Wan "buying time" for Anakin and Ahsoka to disarm bombs by getting his ass whomped was one - couldn't the guy put up a creditable fight where he didn't look like he was being pawned? Bad execution.

Hardeen arc: I doubt there would have been time to cover what I would have liked to see, the so-called necessity of deceiving Anakin to save the freaking Chancellor (good guy, as far as folks IU know). Maybe there was an alternative to the fake Obi death, but was fraught with more perils, or the Council was bound and determined to upset Anakin, who knows - but just a smatter of discussion on achieving a worthwhile goal.

There's far too many instances of weak writing/bad execution that I can't even remember more offhand, but - and this in relation to what I quoted - many did see Ahsoka's treatment as not weak writing, but a furthering of her character, if I remember some comments.

Ahsoka - you know- the padawan who's best buddies with Padme and Riyu Chuchi (sp?), had the foresight to invite herself onto the Citadel rescue because she "just knew" she'd be of help...

As for Plo: I believe he was rather attached to her, but I don't have a good handle on his character. Would he act on his attachment? In Filoni's hands, apparently.

23. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

That's a gross thought on multiple levels.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I've already said in above posts that I also wasn't a fan of that choice and it would have been way, way better if Plo Koon actually had told her to go all along. That doesn't change my statement about how relatively little I care about that compared with the Jedi Council/Anakin Skywalker hierarchy smack-down.

25. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    The thought that just popped into my said is so awful I don't wish to share it...

I'm sure he'd still call her, "Li'l Soka," to add to the creepiness.

Really the only good things about the Citadel arc were the interactions between Anakin and Tarkin.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.