main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Alpha, the ARC Troopers and the Commandos Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediTrilobite, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. browwiw

browwiw Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2007
    It does moderately agitate me that I didn't start posting here until after Karen Traviss left.

2. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    You've been lurking around before? :p T'was a cool time, and what happened to make her go is a real pity. Anyhow, I'm glad I was around then, especially because back in the day, I was one of the first to suggest a Mando dictionary, and I never believed it'd happen... [face_hypnotized] [face_mischief]

3. DarthKuk

DarthKuk Jedi Knight

Jul 20, 2005
    Yeah, I just really wanted to get this post bumped. :D
    By the way, Alpha is getting a new 4" figure.
    It looks pretty nice.
    Alpha/Obi Wan Comic Two-Pack
    I am sure most of you have seen it already...

4. browwiw

Jan 10, 2007
    I don't lurk. I equate posting w/ joining.

Why did she end up leaving? If answering here is bound to start some sort of broo-ha-ha, just PM me.

5. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Some fans didn't like her 'limiting' the Numbers of Clones to 'merely' 3 million. That's when it all started. I doubt that any Karen-basher's gonna jump in this thread, anyway.

Though so. ;)

Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't see no difference between "Alpha" and any other ARC trooper figure, but ah well... :oops:

6. DarthKuk

DarthKuk Jedi Knight

Jul 20, 2005
    It's probably not as raw a subject as it used to be, but there were some issues with an article that was put out about the GAR. Some fans disagreed with the information there, and it started what can only be described as a war between a few folks here and Karen (and the good fellow that co-wrote the article Ryan Kauffman).
    It got downright nasty.
    Right or wrong, it caused a lot of people to scatter.
    I am not a vocal member of the forums, but I still regard the escalation as a blight on fandom. We should all be able to debate a topic without insulting or threatening one another.
    Someone can probably PM the details, but it all came from the GAR article in Insider #84.

7. DarthKuk

DarthKuk Jedi Knight

Jul 20, 2005
    Well, the reason it is Alpha is because the comic book it will come with is Republic 55.
    He is really the only ARC Trooper we get to know in the Republic comics.
    The classic ARC we got in the Clone Wars figure line has a less-bulky pauldron and a rangefinder. This one is more like the rangefinder he used in the comics, which never was shown in an "up" position.
    A few other minor details, but they are not as noticeable. It just depends on if you think of the first figure as the definitive ARC, or the Clone Wars Animated Series (Captain Fordo), or the Republic comic series.
    As with many things in Star Wars, it is really a matter of "point of view". :)

8. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    It was glorious. She had about 2,300 posts in 18 months. Everyone was rejoicing with happiness.

9. browwiw

Jan 10, 2007
    Well, I have Insider #84, and I saw no real problem with the logistics. 3 million soldiers is a lot. Not just in the logistics of fielding them, but in the matter of incubating, raising, indoctrinating, and training them. 3 million grown men on a water planet that only has enclosed cities where space comes at a premium. Droids can be manufactured, armed, and then stored until further use.

And I always kind of figured that the number of clones were vastly inferior to the numbers of droids. The clones were the product of an obsessive species/culture that only provided their clients with the best. The droids were the product of a 'lowest bidder' corporate bureaucracy.

Also, I have a bad habit of reducing everything to roleplaying stats. Clone Troopers are level 5 thugs (go here for official stats). Thug may just be an 'NPC class', but its nothing to sneeze at. Especially with their respectable ability scores, equipment, and the fact they are level 5. Whereas your typical front line B1 series droid (official stats here) has the combat prowess of sun-baked dog turd.

Also, here are official stats for Imperial stormtroopers, just for reference (ie, they suck compared to clonetroopers).

10. Roain_Xantos

Roain_Xantos Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    I thought stormies were clones. I may be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere. I'm not arguing with you, really. If I was, you'd know it. ;)

~*Roain <><

EDIT: Just so you know, you make me want to capitalize and punctuate properly...lol. I honestly have no idea why. [face_laugh]

11. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    The ARC trooper figure that was released in 2003 was crap. Very little limb articulation, the blue was quite the wrong shade, etc. The new figure looks to be lightyears better.

12. browwiw

Jan 10, 2007
    Well, if you'll notice, the clonetroopers and stormtroopers have the exact physical stats. They just have a difference in levels. I'm fine with this. The clonetroopers were engineered by very exacting high standards. The stormtroopers were knock-off clones and brainwashed conscripts. Another way to think about it: the clonetroopers were like limited run FN-FAL assault rifles and the clone troopers were like mass-produced AK-47s.

Also, since I remembered them:

Scorch

Sev

41st Elite Clone Trooper (scroll down a little)

Clone Commander Gree (scroll down a little)

and, of course, Boba Fett (scroll down a little)

13. Roain_Xantos

Roain_Xantos Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    That pretty much went like this...up, up, and awaaaaaay over my head. lol. But I think I get the idea. :p

~*Roain <><

14. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Yo! ( ;) )

Anyhow, Stormies > Clones.

15. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Not even close, Trip.:p

16. browwiw

Jan 10, 2007
    Are you kidding? Stormtroopers are club-footed and stoop-shouldered! Granted, the extras in the armor where British...but, c'mon!

17. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    At least they weren't cartoons.

18. Cydon

Cydon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2006
    Love this thread![image=http://mattbrett.com/images/swrp-demo-01.jpg]

19. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    It's been a while since I've posted here. What do people think of the cover for the next book?

20. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    One of the best covers in years. Seriously. I wish there were more like this--original artwork always beasts the photocollage crap we've been subjected to lately.

21. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    I was kidding. ;) It's a silly joke, I was referring to Alpha being like any of his brothers, due to the fact they're clones... and no, don't make a discussion out of this. :p

[face_thinking] Is it because you write "clonetroopers" once and "clone troopers" the other time, or is it 'cause you meant "stormtroopers"? :p

22. browwiw

Jan 10, 2007
    Its because I start drinking as soon as I get home from work.

23. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    I'm personally going to snap up that Alpha figure and True Colors as soon as they come out.
    And it's nice to meet you, browwiww. Always a pleasure to meet a fellow clone fan.

24. DarthKuk

DarthKuk Jedi Knight

Jul 20, 2005
    Yeah, I just could not wait for Alpha so I modified the current one a bit.
    My ARC Trooper
    This one has molds and everything to just modify the bodies of Clone Wars ARCs. But, then started on the version 2 and then saw the new Alpha...

The version 2 had a Cody-like midsection, but I can't find the photos...

25. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Dang, Kuk, that's pretty nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.