main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Alpha, the ARC Troopers and the Commandos Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediTrilobite, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    VIPs at starwars.com, said they were ARC troopers.

Huh, okay, I didn't know that.

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    You'll also notice a refrence to Pengalan under the ARC databank entry.

3. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    I actually haven't read the ARC databank entry. I'll have to do that.

4. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Yellow markings indicate a commander. Red clone troopers are captains, blue are lieutenants and green are sergeants.

Nah, that's not the case. Yellow markings are for calvary, red for artillery, blue for infantry, and green for shrapshooters :p.

Seriously, does it seem strange to anyone else that LFL uses the same colors used to distinguish branch of army service during the Civil war to distinguish clone trooper ranks? And I thought yellow was suppose to represent clone pilots.

5. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Yes, Clone Pilots all apparently have yellow markings. That might be a rank thing, too -- all Clone Pilots happen to hold the rank of Commander or something.

6. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    The ARC Troopers entry says nothing about color and rank of ARC Troopers.

7. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Yeah, you're right. Even though it shows a Red ARC Trooper (and elsewhere on TOS it lists a pic of a red ARC Trooper as being an "ARC Trooper Captain"), it doesn't mention rank at all. ::shrugs::

8. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Perhaps ARC Trooper ranks are displayed in a more conventional manner. And having virtually any rank wear a color that they would normally not wear is a means to insure that ARC Trooper officers are not easily picked off. Kinda like officers in wars over the course of the second half of the 20th century taking all rank off their helmets and elsewhere so enemy troops could not target them because they were officers.

9. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    And having virtually any rank wear a color that they would normally not wear is a means to insure that ARC Trooper officers are not easily picked off.

However, wouldn't having colors of ANY kind put them above your common run-of-the-mill Clonetrooper and thereby make them a potential target?

10. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    That's just it. By now one would expect that the Sepratists would probably know what the colors on Clone Trooper armor means. So they'd expect the colors to on ARC Trooper armor to mean the same thing. So there would be a chance of them actually hitting an ARC Trooper officer of a certain rank, expecting them to be a higher rank. Or they could hit an ARC Trooper private and expect they had hit a captain. There's still a chance for the ARC Trooper officers to be taken out, but less of a chance of the Sepratists succeding in taking out an ARC Trooper officer if they are targeting officers because of the color on the armor.

11. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Well... logistically, I'd imagine ARC Troopers have colors *at all* simply so that they outrank normal Clonetroopers no matter what the circumstances are. Although I agree with the whole "the enemy aims for the rank" principle that's been present in nearly every war ever fought, I don't think the ARC Troopers really have that in mind - if they did, why wouldn't the regular Clonetroopers? And if that's the case, why have colored ranks at all?

12. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Even elites have rank. I imagine that if you get them together, they'd need a commander... That's why the guys in Pengalan had Joram as their superior officer... They were all the same.

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "ARC Trooper Captain"

Where does it post a picture of an "ARC Trooper", and calls it a captain?

If you meant this picture;

[image=http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/jocasta/img/color_clone.jpg]

That isn't an ARC trooper, its just a regular clone trooper.

14. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Val:

It's actually right here. :)

15. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, it's on TOS, for the Avatars for the Hyperspace people. I also think that Obi-Wan refers to one at Captain.

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Funny, how he's not called captain in the cartoon, but rather sergeant, :p...

"Very good Sergeant, proceed with the next phase".

17. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Yeah... I just watched the 3rd episode of the cartoon (It's been available on the Cartoon Network website since this morning. Cool episode, by the way :D) and he distinctly calls it a "Sergeant". I don't remember if the red one got called a specific rank in the 2nd episode or not...

Side question - is the voice of Obi-Wan in the cartoon done by Ewan MacGregor? It sounds a LOT like him in the 1st and 3rd episodes, but not in the 2nd one...

18. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    From what I heard, the only "real" voice in the cartoon is Anthony Daniels doing his C-3PO voice.

19. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    Obi is done by a guy named James Arnold Taylor

Do they have yellow and green striped ARC troopers?
    I wonder, considering we've seen blue and red...

Just saw Ch. 3 and it was WONDERFUL, didn't care for the music, but it was WONDERFUL!

20. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Hmm, interesting he played Tidus, in FFX.

21. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    And Detective Ash in 'Detective Story' from the Animatrix. Ash was cool. :D

Do they have yellow and green striped ARC troopers?
    I wonder, considering we've seen blue and red...

If they exist, we haven't seen them yet.

22. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    if they did, why wouldn't the regular Clonetroopers?

First, correct me if I'm wrong, but ARC Troopers are more capable of idenpendet thinking than regular Clone Troopers who are made docile enough to allow for a certain degree of independent thinking but who for the most part simply follow orders their given? Second, there are even fewer ARC Troopers overall than there are Clone Troopers. Their the elite of the clone army so perhaps it was felt that because they had an even smaller officer corps those officers should be offered a better chance of survivng an engagment.

23. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    What's your point? ?[face_plain]

24. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I'm not sure exactly what he's talking about, but it appears he's just trying to bounce around a few random thoughts, based on his perceptions. It obviously seemed important enough to him to bring up his ideas, and we should at least respect his thoughts because of that.

25. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, yeah. I just personally find it hard to intelligently respond to his thoughts if I don't understand where he's going with them. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.