main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The *Official* Anakin Skywalker in the Clone Wars Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by JediLight, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Hyoma

Hyoma Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2008
    No, not by those exact words, but that's why i've used quotation marks in that expression (i was not quoting Obi-Wan, no)); what i mean is, IMHO, Obi-Wan calls him that, just by other words.
    And please, excuse my limited use of the English language and pontuaction marks. :)
    Peace

2. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    If the Jedi found out that Anakin betrayed and helped Sidious kill Mace, they will NOT give him a chance to turn back from the Dark Side. They will automatically label him a Sith Lord and will kill him just like what Yoda wanted Obi-wan to do after they saw the security hologram footage of Anakin killing some Jedi.

There really is no turning back for Anakin.

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    It's not what the Jedi would have done to him that's important.

They would not have killed him if he surrendered. Certainly Obi-Wan would not, and I doubt Yoda would have.

My point was that Anakin could have repented at any time from ROTS to ROTJ; the problem was that it took his son's willingness to die to show him he wasn't as trapped as he thought he was.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Obi-Wan just says that he was his friend and talks about his skill. Later he says that he had been a good man. That's about it. If you get "true hero" from that, so be it.

5. Hyoma

Hyoma Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2008
    "He was the best star pilot in the galaxy. And a cunning warrior." sounds almost like the description of a "hero" (in this fictional context, of course) to me. And since he was a Jedi (one of the "Good" guys) and a war veteran, he must've had his share of "heroic deeds". So, I guess I get "true hero" from that. :)

Peace

6. QueenMother_LK

QueenMother_LK Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2009
    TCW Anakin made me like the character. I actually enjoy watching him, rather than just rolling my eyes when he says something stupid. Maybe it's just nice to see the character when he isn't having to deal with the dark side all the time like in the PT.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    If "hero" can be imputed from that, "hero" can be imputed from what we were shown in the prequels, which included actual heroic deeds on screen. So I don't see the failure on GL's part.

8. Hyoma

Hyoma Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2008
    That's right, there were of course heroic deeds by Anakin in the Prequels, but again, In My humble And Subjective Opinion- Prequel Anakin lacked that "hero" charisma. The type of charisma that would have made his fall much more tragic. I really love the prequels, don't get me wrong, but it is something that bugs me a tiny bit about it, and that's why i like TCW Anakin so much: in the TV series, we see much more of his heroic side and less of the "troubled" Anakin, in the sense that, so far in the show, he's always helping people out, being a sort of big brother to Ahsoka, leading clone squads, etc, etc.

Of course, when making the Prequels, GL had his own limits, since in 3 movies only, he could not show us the WHOLE story of the Rise and Fall of Anakin Skywalker, so his "failure" as i wrote, is an understandable one: in the movies, Anakin's relation with Padme is a nuclear theme, and one that needed much more exposition storywise.

Basically, this TV show is turning that moment in Palpatine's office into a much more tragic one, since now it's not only the birth of Vader, the Greatest Villain in the Galaxy, but it's ALSO the death of good ol' Ani, the great Jedi Anakin Skywalker. I truly hope this makes any sense, my friend. :)

Let me just add that in my first post, when i wrote that GL failed i dit it using those pesky quotation marks. "Failure" in that context, is not as harsh as failure, plain and simple. Or at least that was what i intended, anyway.
    Sorry for being so picky, just trying to be precise in my words, being a from a non-english country and all.:)

Peace

9. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Oh yeah, I get where you're coming from. You meant that GL couldn't fully accomplish the portrayal of Anakin as the hero, not that you thought what he did was a terrible, terrible karking of your childhood. XD

I'm in agreement with most people that this serves to show just how good Anakin could have been, and he's really likable here. It would certainly add gravitas to his turn to th dark side.

Also, don't worry about appearing picky or not, you're actually much clearer than a few native English-speakers. XD

10. Hyoma

Hyoma Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2008
    :)
    Exactly. I'm certainly not a Lucas basher, nor did i intended to sound as one.
    Likable is certainly the key word here, indeed. Much more likable, TCW Anakin is.
    And thank you for the kind words koonfan, much appreciated. [face_peace]

Peace

11. Avian005

Avian005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2009
    Dang, couldn't said it better myself. During TCW, I think we will see how Anakin's life is changed so much by the war. While seeing his clones, some Jedi, and possibly Ashoka dying, it would explain his character better for ROTS. If these following events happen, then we should be able to see why he was so willingly to gain power, even by gaining it from the darkside.

12. QueenMother_LK

Feb 17, 2009
    Maybe something happens where Anakin sees the jedi (or one jedi) fail at something he thought they shouldn't fail at. His trust in the jedi is wavering as much as their trust in him is, and he also is really reluctant to confide or ask for Obi-wan's help in ROTS. Maybe there is a falling out between the two of them during the clone wars.

13. Avian005

Jan 1, 2009
    Jedi are the keepers of peace. Mabye this war is changing them much more than we think.

14. QueenMother_LK

Feb 17, 2009
    Oh definitely. I mean they did become "clouded by the dark side", whatever that exactly means, idk.

15. Avian005

Jan 1, 2009
    Good point. With the Jedi's attention on the war, they wouldn't be able to feel the darkside "clouding" them. This may be a great reason why the Jedi were kind off reckless in ROTS. Mace almost killed Palpatine, but before the Clone Wars, he was probably like the other Jedi.

16. QueenMother_LK

Feb 17, 2009
    Yeah. I think that war is always a time for the jedi to either show how good they really are, or to point out their problems. (at least I feel like that's a trend from the movies and the parts of the EU I've read) As a whole the jedi's problem in the PT was complacency-they didn't think the sith could / would come back, and they let themselves slip because of it.

17. FrankinVader

FrankinVader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    This is actually shown in the old clone wars series. When you watch that series from start to end, you will find the old Anakin arrogant, expecially towards Obiwan. However, once he becomes a brother (knighted), his attitude changes, and you see that in the series like day and night. Since the new Series takes place somewhere in episode 22, it would only make sense that he is this way. He was just knighted, and eager to prove himself.

18. QueenMother_LK

Feb 17, 2009
    Anakin for the most part is a lot nicer in TCW so far, but I think there are still little lines here and there that are reminiscent of his arrogant self. Maybe he just seems SO arrogant, etc in the movies because those events were ones he felt the strongest about, and now that we get to see him in a multitude of events we also get to see a calmer, nicer side to him too. Overall I think it does feel like the same character, and I like it.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It's a good thing Obi-Wan never said he was charismatic or a hero.

20. Hyoma

Hyoma Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2008
    Care to explain? :confused:

Peace (and I do mean it)

21. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It doesn't really need explanation.

22. Hyoma

Hyoma Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2008

I see.

If this is your idea of a "smart" statement, so be it; but what's the point of posting, if you're not willing to explain your own words? I tried to do exactly that when I was responding to you, but i can't ask that much from you, i guess.

Please, just ignore me from now on. And the feeling is mutual.

Peace

23. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Well, I'll try and offer an explanation.

Obi-Wan's words were that Anakin was 'a cunning warrior and a good friend', which at face value shows he has a good fondness and respect for Anakin. Later, he states 'Anakin was already an excellent pilot' and that 'Darth Vader destroyed that good man forever' (apologies to purists if my phrasing is wrong. XD), which also shows clear regret at his fate.

However, although he asserts Anakin is a good man, technically, he doesn't sing praises as if Anakin was a legend. It wasn't so much 'Anakin was the best Jedi I ever saw and a true hero' as 'Anakin was a good buddy, and a good person', so that's where people get that he doesn't QUITE say he's 'a true hero'. Given the faults he had and mistakes he made, some might say that 'true hero' is stretching it. Obi-Wan may have shown that he liked Anakin, but he didn't say whether Anakin himself was naturally likable.

And that's where you could get that Ben didn't actually say he was charismatic or a hero. XD

minnishe likes this.
  24. Hyoma

Hyoma Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2008
    :p Thank you very much for that explanation.

Like a lot of things in SW, it's all about our own perceptions. Some people see Anakin as x, others as y, etc. The movies present certain "facts" that are canon, but there are times when it all comes down to how one reads it, imho. For example, the scene where Obi-Wan tells Luke about Anakin in ANH, can indeed be read in a number of different ways. So, from there you have people with different perceptions of the same character (Ani), and with that, different expectations when it comes to find out more about that character's story.

Hope this makes sense, and sorry if somehow i'm being obviously redundant. [face_peace]

25. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Why does Obi-Wan never said he was charismatic or a hero need any more explanation? The phrase "self-explanatory" exists for a reason.

[face_laugh] The feeling is mutual? How do you know?