main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The *Official* Anakin Skywalker in the Clone Wars Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by JediLight, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Scolai

Scolai Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2009
    Hmm, but I think this is incorrect. CWAS is not "the Anakin Skywalker show". He's a main cast member, but very little of the show is directly his story. There are whole episodes where he barely shows up, and the current Mandalorian arc is all Obi-Wan. Anakin gets some nice moments in Voyage of Temptation, but it's an Obi-centric story all the way.

I'd say, in fact, that Dave's statement is correct - they have looked at all sorts of different stories within the Clone Wars, with Anakin along for the ride but not always in the driver's seat.

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Even just the fact that they can do straight-up "adventure" stories with not necessarily advancing the overall plot of The Saga is different.

Which, I have to admit, is maybe one reason Anakin seems more likeable in TCW.[face_peace]

3. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Surprising since Filoni's original idea for the show was two unseen before Jedi travelling aboard a smuggler's ship with a very Han Solo-esque Captain and a giant Gungan copilot in place of Chewbacca. I wouldn't mind seeing an episode where Anakin and Obi-wan have to go undercover with a smuggler...

4. izzy_the_hutt

izzy_the_hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2009
    This comment is made of win. Not only do I totally agree with it...but it made me LOL as well.[face_laugh]

5. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    You know, the one thing I wish we would see more of in TCW is the awesomely hilarious sense of humor that Anakin has....at least as Vader.

We don't really see it in the PT films, and generally speaking we haven't seen it in TCW. Yes, he's snarky sometimes, but a large part of Vader's awesomeness was his understated sense of humor.

6. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    You mean like his line to Lando: 'Perhaps you feel you're being treated unfairly?' I dunno, that humor seems based on threats, and in TCW Anakin's not a villain yet.

7. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    More like his quote about Ozzel: "He's as clumsy as is stupid."

8. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    ^That doesn't sound much better. So it's either insulting or threatening.. How about his 'Hello, ugly' line?

And just something I'm wondering, but why hasn't TCW brought up Anakin being the chosen one? You think it'd be mentioned somewhere. Does Ahsoka even know about it?

9. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    "You will find he is not as forgiving as I am"

"I find your lack of faith disturbing".

"Apology accepted".

Yes, because it's Vader, these usually involve threats and/or acts of violence, but it's the dry, ironic sense of humor that really makes Vader awesome.

I find your lack of faith disturbing: "disturbing"? Who would use that word? And he rarely gets angry.

10. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    Right, I think it's a cold, ironic, somewhat elegant kind of humor. Maybe it just comes from him being older and hanging around Palpatine a lot.

11. Suzi-Wan

Suzi-Wan Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2010
    At the risk of posting a spoiler for anyone who hasn't read the CW novels, Ahsoka knows he is the Chosen One.:)

12. izzy_the_hutt

izzy_the_hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2009
    And from cutting Jar Jar loose.

13. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
  14. apotampkin

apotampkin Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 15, 2010
    PT Anakin > TCW Anakin.

Discuss.
    :p

15. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Many may disagree but Hondo actually fills that place nicely in some episodes- that's why I like him- he is a pirate- yarr.... ummm... yeah there is no that sort of goodguy-scoundrel though because era is different -smugglers are considered baddies now because law is still on the good side... well technically.... TCW already made such a poor smuggler story- Tee Wa (Moogan guy) could've been -ok smuggler but he was not scoundrel instead he was more like a slimy businessman type like Nute Gunray... and all that poisoned tea to mandalorian schools was such an awful plot..... i would like to see some smugglers too but whole season of them? Well no thanks- instead i want to see season called "CIS Strikes Back!"

16. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Yeah, in the novels Anakin is well aware that he is considered the Chosen One...and it weighs heavily on his conscience as he considers the lofty expectations the Jedi have for him. Ahsoka is also aware of Anakin being the Chosen One and is held in high regard by her fellow padawans at being selected as Anakin's padawan. As for TCW, they've only hinted about the Chosen One issue being brought up in Season 3.

17. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    PT Anakin and Tartakovsky's Anakin, Mat Lucas and all.[face_love]

I just find Anakin's portrayal inconsistent for the most part which makes me wonder if it has to do with the jumping timeline... and aside from the hero aspect I find Lanter to be too flat, American and annoying; after watching a CW marathon of 3 to 5 hours straight for Season 2, I was ready to punch my PC screen.

18. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Lady_Skywalker87, you're just upset that Padme is no longer the only woman in Anakin's life. You don't like that Anakin shares his time between Ahsoka and Padme in TCW.

19. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Because that isn't the least bit creepy at all.

My personal favorite is the Genndy Anakin. He is still a good friend of Obi-Wan's, but he is prone to extreme rage and violence. THe only thing that stops him from being perfect is his terrible voice actor.

20. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    :eek: :confused:

How in the world did you came up with that conclusion?

I happened to have enjoyed the A/A dynamic very much in the previous Seasons, even defended it because it was one of the few things that brought out the Anakin that that I came to know and love in the PT,(it got me thinking what Leia & Anakin's relationship would have been like) but like a lot of things in the CW is going in the wrong direction and discrediting Anakin's character.

The reasons I dislike Anakin seems for the most part is because he's too heroic and mature, not a young man who would sacrifice everything he has to save his pregnant wife and who wants more out his life...which is why I like Genndy Tartakovsky's Anakin. I thought they have found common ground between Anakin's troubled and heroic side within Ashoka's training but instead of sticking to that the producers are now morphing Ashoka into Anakin's equal or something which I consider poor development for both characters.

Mat may not be the best voice actor but I feel his performance was consistent with HC's. This brings me to my other point: what's up with Anakin's model? He looks more like Matt than Hayden.

21. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I was actually referring to the 2D Anakin. He's incredibly badass, but his voice is worse than Christensen.

22. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    Honestly, the guy in TCW is not Anakin of the PT. The guy there is an obsessed psychopath and murderer of children. The Anakin of TCW is a nice guy with only a light grey side. I don't believe that he has murdered children and is going to murder children, or become Darth Vader. And this is a huge problem of this series. A pre-TCW-Anakin could have been a nice guy and hero, but TCW-Anakin would be much better as official hero, hidden villain, committing atrocities left and right when no one is looking. Else the whole story of ROTS does not make any sense.

23. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    While I agree TCW (so far) and movie Anakin are roughly opposite ends of a spectrum, I was initially happy they did show the nice guy side of Anakin that *I* found so lacking in the movies. I like the idea that a regular guy with heroic tendencies also has weaknesses that eventually allow him to fall.

Now, 2+ seasons in, I'd like to see an edge in Anakin a bit more than we've seen, but short, far, far short, of movie Anakin. Let's move along the rage continuium from time to time so as to bridge the two Anakins.

24. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    I also was glad to see a nice Anakin. In the movies we only get the brat, the jerk, and the sociopath. But as the psychotic Anakin was already introduced in AOTC, it makes little sense that a TCW Anakin would be a white knight.

And they really could deal with the whole Sand People stuff and show us how and when Anakin tells Palpatine about it.

25. TheLucasAdvocate1992

TheLucasAdvocate1992 Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 14, 2010
    I'll add that I'll take TCW Anakin over movie Anakin any day, not counting the 2D version since I haven't seen it in ages and don't remember much when it came to Anakin's character in that show. Now what I happen to love about TCW Anakin is how, at least in my mind, a great throw back to those heros of old: Buck and Gordon. Everything from his voice, to actions, to his lines I adore. :cool: Plus I think on some level Anakin deserves all this in the long run, that he deserves to be a hero, a equal to his former master, a big brother/teacher, a respect fellow Jedi, ect. Least that's what I think.

BTW could someone summarize how the EU padawan Anakin acted?:confused: I'm curious and
    I once read somewhere online that he acted like a jackass but was wondering if anyone could verify that or not.