main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The *Official* Anakin Skywalker in the Clone Wars Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by JediLight, Nov 17, 2008.

1. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    I could easily see TCW Anakin being Vader, he has his short bursts of anger and darkness. Remember were still only in 22 BBY. Anakin has shown glimpes but he isn't really there yet, I fully expect the Anakin we see later in the series will be much more darker.

I'm a firm believer that the Anakin in the PT wasn't supposed to be the Anakin we got. He was whiny, a jerk and overall a forgettable character. You can blame it on Hayden or George but nonetheless it didn't work. Anakin was the hero of the Republic, the image, winning battles throughout the galaxies with his clone army close by his side trying to get rid of the Separatist nuisance. Remember Obi-Wan and Anakin were the main heroes of the war, they were the 2 Jedi always on the holonet etc.

Having Anakin as this great hero for the Republic and the Jedi makes his fall far more dramatic and sad. He goes from hero to villain pretty much over night.

I kind of seeing him go like this..

Whiny brat in AOTC>maturing a little bit during the war>Republic Hero>realizing he wants more power(or something along those lines)>ROTS Anakin

Also with ROTS Anakin in the beginning we definitely got that TCW Anakin.

2. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    Yeah, well, it is George's fault. He decided to let Anakin slaughter Tusken children in AOTC. It would make more sense, of course, if Anakin would have gradually become darker during the war. But what they did, what they actually already did in AOTC, is to let him and Padmé go through a devastating crisis in the middle of the movie, and then just talk never again about and return to stupid jokes. That makes no sense.

The Anakin of TCW has to be darker than the nice guy from AOTC. Else you have no continuity between AOTC and ROTS. Anakin has tasted the Dark Side in AOTC. And it tastes good, it seems. This has to be elaborated during the war. They also did exactly that in Republic comics and the novels. Else our new biography of Anakin after the end of the series would be brat (TPM), jerk (AOTC), strangely nice guy and everybody's hero (TCW), psychotic murderer and mad suit guy (ROTS & OT).

The gradual decline towards the 'Sith might be good and Jedi evil' Anakin must be made really understandable.

3. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Me Too!:p

The guy's name is Mat Lucas.

4. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    To come to the defense of Anakin, he was a teenager/in-the-in-between-not-quite-kid-but-not-quite-grown-up-stage in AotC. Try saying that five times fast.;)

5. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I still don't see why people like TCW Anakin better.

He's just such a totally bland action hero.

He's only cool when he has his dark moments. [face_mischief]

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No relation.

That's not really accurate. By the end of AOTC Anakin is already in the "hero" mode which you ascribe to TCW alone, and he is also in this role at the beginning of ROTS, until the whole Padme-dying thing starts happening.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
  8. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    ... you said 'dp' [face_mischief]

9. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    After seeing tonight's episode, yeah... Matt Latner is too bland. I prefer Hayden over him. At least Hayden was more emotional than just the emotional-less TCW Anakin.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  10. PirateofRohan

Dec 11, 2009
    Thank you, GGrievous.

11. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Oops, wrong thread.

12. PirateofRohan

Dec 11, 2009
    This made me laugh so hard.[face_laugh]

13. GS335

GS335 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2001
    Actually, TCW Anakin is better. You know why? Because with this show, Lucas has the chance to show the Anakin he's always wanted to the show, who is a hero. Who is a good person. Who is a good friend. Who is fiercly loyal. Who is selfless. This is the person Obi Wan told Luke about in Episodes IV and VI, and this is the person we are seeing now.

The reason why we didn't see much of this in episodes II and III is because both movies dealt with his inevitable fall to the darkside. Lucas didn't have a chance to show Anakin as a good person in either movie, for this exact reason. Now, he has that opportunity.

TCW not only gives the audience a better insight into the pre-Empire days, it also gives the audience a better insight into the main character of the entire SW saga, Anakin Skywalker. Now, it makes sense when vader comes back into the light in episode VI, and why he redeems himself. Anakin remembers his Jedi training, and what's most important. When he saved Luke, he finally remembers who he really is, thus leading to his redeemption. TCW gives more perspective.

As the producers and even Lucas himself have all said, we have to see Anakin as a good person. We have to see him as a hero. That way, it makes his fall more traegic and gives more meaning to his eventual redeemption many years later. Let's not forget that his fall is not about him becoming bad over time. Its all about choices. His redeemption is all about choices too.

14. GS335

GS335 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2001
    People like TCW Anakin better because we finally see the person Obi Wan talks about in ANH and RoTJ: a hero and a good friend.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    We see some of him in ROTS, just not for very long. In the beginning and right before Obi-Wan leaves for Utapau.

16. Jedi-Master-Vader

Jedi-Master-Vader Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 29, 2003
    A common expression amongst English people to use in such a fashion.

17. ninobrown9999

ninobrown9999 Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2008
    As i was watching the clone wars i was drawn to reading the novelization of Episode 3. If anybody here hasn't read it i recommend you do. Its everything the movie couldn't be. Movies just can't give us the incite into a characters mind. Anakin was betrayed by the Jedi. Darth Sidious was a genius and master at lightsaber duels (he beat Yoda.) Maybe I'm late but I had so many questions about... why and the book by Matthew Stover (excellent writing by the way) explained alot. For example I had no idea Yoda and Obi-wan let Luke and Leia grow up the way they did because the knew the failed with Anakin. Or that Anakin did full fill his prophecy depending on how you look at it; jedi were out of balance! It was hinted in the movies but hit home in the book. Anyways if u have read it pass it along to other TCW fans and threads to read the book and you will have all the power of the darkside!

18. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    According to one of Stover's interviews, Anakin could have fulfilled the prophecy in the Chancellor's office in ROTS. So when it comes to the prophecy, the Jedi are not the problem. The Force is balanced when the Sith are destroyed.

19. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Bah - the Jedi duidn't betray Anakin (yes, they made some mistakes) - Anakin betrayed everything for 1 woman.

I did love the novel, though.

20. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    yeah...Overloads was painful to watch specially the scene with Pernilla August, the emotion just was not there and I kept thinking of Hayden the whole time. To me Matt sound more like a a Han wannabe.

Fixed: He betrayed everything including the woman he loved for a chance foolish or not to come something more than what he was.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Well said. I like Hayden's Anakin but I have come to prefer Matt Lanter's Anakin for the reasons listed here. I don't know if we can blame either of the actors though; there really just wasn't enough time in the films to show Heroic!Anakin and Falling!Anakin, especially when we spend the last 45 minutes to an hour of ROTS with Vader.

My exception would be the one that Lady_Skywalker87 listed; I wasn't really feeling Matt Lanter in that "Overlords" scene with Shmi. Hayden would have been better for that one. Hayden's specialty appears to be angsty characters, he plays one in pretty much all of his movies. (I haven't seen "Awake" but from the looks of it, I'm assuming that character was angsty as well.) With Matt Lanter: yes, Star Wars fans, Anakin does have a non-angsty side. :p

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I didn't see a thread for this but let's talk about our favourite Jedi, Anakin Skywalker

[​IMG]

23. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    Our favorite murderer, yes?

24. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
  25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Did not see that