main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The *Official* Anakin Skywalker in the Clone Wars Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by JediLight, Nov 17, 2008.

1. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    Yeah, in AOTC, he just wants to bang Padme the entire movie and risk his career in the process.

minnishe likes this.
  2. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    If anything, Anakin should be even more moody in TCW. I mean, he enjoys action but fighting is a dreaded action for Jedi, and he's half way across the galaxy from his wife. He shouldn't be all cheerful and making jokes, he should be permanently angry.

3. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    The only "spoiled brats" i have ever seen involved with star wars are the fans.

and just for the record i dont mean anyone here, just most fans in general who wright off the PT and dont even try to think outside what they "think" they "know".

Anakins character as it was presented in the PT was a near masterpiece but a good 80% of star wars fans cant be bothered to try and see his character portrayal in the PT for what it is and then go deeper in trying to understand and even more importantly sympathize with him.

Its far too easy to take a look at TPM and say "OH HES TOO YOUNG AND HAPPY" and "EWW HE SEZ YIPPEE, LOLZ LIKE WHO SEZ THAT?!" rather than try to understand how it was important to show the "innocents" of that character at the beginning of the saga and what better way than to show him as a child.

Its far too easy to watch AOTC and say "OH HES NOT A GOOD JEDI CUZ HE JUST WANTS TO BANG PADME CUZ SHES HOT!" rather than try to see the sweet love story for what it is and appreciate the fact that its portrayed as an epic and classic love story set against the backdrop of a war in a galaxy far, far away, a love story where two people who pretty much gave up there whole lives to being disciplined and responsible finally decide to give themselves to each other and enjoy love while they still can.

Its far too easy FOR someone to watch his scenes involving the tusken raders and say "LOLZ HES EMO JUST BECAUSE HIS MOM DIED SO THAT MAKES HIM A BAD JEDI" when few people on this earth could understand the pain he must have been going through to hold his dieing mother (only family he has ever known) in his arms after she had been beaten,tortured maybe even raped for weeks by vicious mindless monsters, ugly, mean aliens who have never been known to do anything good in history --and he STILL felt terrible over it! and eventually becomes such a good jedi and leader in the clone wars that he makes up for it.

There is nothing wrong with anakin in the PT, he is a badass jedi worrier maybe even more so than pretty boy luke.

minnishe likes this.
  4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    He's not a good Jedi. However much one may sympathize with him, Anakin is an utter failure of a Jedi until at the very least the Clone Wars and possibly until his redemption.

And what the Tuskens did doesn't matter. When one fights monsters, one must take actions to ensure one doesn't become a monster. Anakin failed to do that and so he killed both the innocent and the guilty.

There's plenty wrong with Anakin. If there wasn't, he wouldn't have slaughtered children, killed his wife, and helped oppress the galaxy.

minnishe likes this.
  5. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    There were a few spots in AOTC, that Anakin was a good Jedi and likeable. I'm just trying to think of a few. Maybe the elevator scene?

That being said, I did feel bad for him and he had a tough stretch (dreams about his mom, then watching her mom die).

He just seems much more mature in TCW and much more likeable.

6. Azure_Angelus

Azure_Angelus Jedi Master star 1

Sep 13, 2008
    Anakin was so different during the war because all the fighing gave him something to focus on. Notice in ROTS, he was fine until he returned to Coruscant and rather than let him go back to the front lines, the idiotic Jedi Council gave him a bloody desk[/job].

7. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    No, they used him as a spy. That's not a desk job.

8. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    "Master_Starwalker" said- There's plenty wrong with Anakin. If there wasn't, he wouldn't have slaughtered children, killed his wife, and helped oppress the galaxy.

yea and if he didn't do those things he wouldn't be the man that becomes darth vader now wouldn't he? Thats all im saying.

9. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    And yet you're still saying Prequel Trilogy (you claim its a masterpiece too) Anakin is 'likeable'. Is 'understandable'. That he isn't a 'spoiled brat' and the only ones who are spoiled brats are the fans.

I wish there was a stronger way I can put this...

Lucas sucks. His writing sucks. TCW Anakin is superior to PT Anakin. The prequel Trilogy is as bad as the Matrix Sequels. There. Good to get that off my chest.

10. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I think the implication that Anakin seems more emotionally "stable" when constantly fighting is even more worrisome than being moody over being seperated from his wife. This means that Anakin finds solace in the act of destruction, which surely is one of the fastest ways to become seduced by the Dark Side.

minnishe likes this.
  11. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    I definitely think that TCW Anakin is much more likable owing to the fact that he's not spending all his time agonising over life. As a matter of personal choice, I'd rather have him this way while still growing in personality than spending all his time brooding.

Still, it's interesting that people can have such fervent discussions on the implications, and a good sign that fans are still able to be intelligent sometimes. XD

I wouldn't exactly call the Prequels a masterpiece, but they were highly enjoyable to me, so I liked 'em. Anybody who claims one view or the other as fact instead of opinion doesn't really have the full picture, to put it politely. TPM and ROTS had fairly likable Anakins in them, even if Jake Lloyd's portrayal was very shaky.

I do feel that although the emotions Anakin felt would fit (innocence, agony, then his descent), most of them could have been executed better. Revenge of the Sith was good, though, Hayden got into his stride there. But what we feel about the prequels is beside the point. This is to talk about how AWESOME the current Anakin is. XD

TCW Anakin for the win!

12. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's not say things we can't take back. :p

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ra5-H9ZBS1U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ra5-H9ZBS1U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. Sol_Invictus

Sol_Invictus Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2006
    obi-rob-kenobi4, you seem to have a serious problem. You seem to be mistaking advertising blurbs about the films for truth. See, the thing is, advertising is supposed to make a thing sound better than what it is. That is its function. So when it calls the Prequel Trilogy, for instance, an "epic love story," that doesn't mean that it is particularly epic, or particularly well executed.

The characterization of Anakin is one of the worst aspects of the films.*

In the first movie, they tried to make him a bright, cheerful young child who grew up a slave on a harsh, unforgiving desert planet. Innocent and cute, despite how everything in his background says that he should not be, particularly since he's clearly intelligent enough to know better. Add in the fact that his separation from his mother is poorly conceived and terribly written, and the creepy, awkward romantic foreshadowing with Padme, and anyone who empathizes with the kid is trying very, very hard. Anyway, let's skip past where he Stooges his way into saving the day, and go right into the next movie.

What happened between TPM and AotC? Anakin became a reckless, arrogant jerk, despite the fact that he didn't start out that way and that Jedi training doesn't really encourage it. Instead of the good-hearted and heroic man that A New Hope told us he was, he was a punk kid. For no apparent reason. No sign of the hero. Kenobi, rather than being a close and trusted friend - as we're told they are - comes off as a frustrated nursemaid, and for good reason. Padme won't fall into bed with Anakin at the first sign of his interest, so he throws a fit. Later on, we find out they're in love - because they tell us so. The poorly written dialogue rendered the actors - talented actors, when they have good material - into furniture. The worst part, though, is when Anakin's mother dies. To be sure, losing family is a tragedy, especially if it's your whole family. Violent death at the hands of an enemy is particularly hard to take. However, life and fiction are full of examples of people suffering similar losses, and not reacting with anything nearly so vile as genocide. Most of those people didn't have the benefit of over ten years of spiritual training emphasizing self-control above all else.

Revenge of the Sith came next, bringing with it some of the worst dialogue I've ever encountered. Anakin and Padme were positively revolting. Nothing likable here at all. Then, there's the fact that instead of taking his problems to his trusted friends, he abandons everything about being a Jedi based on nothing more than fairy tales. Obviously, this is due to his overwhelming love for Padme... who he strangles at the end of the movie, based on some weird, screwy logic that led him to the idea that the woman he loves is conspiring against him, instead of the far more obvious idea that Kenobi didn't bother asking her. Yeah, that sure sounds like a loving, trusting relationship to me. Leave alone that Anakin didn't think twice about his second round of child-murdering.

That's the Anakin of the Prequel Trilogy. Anything else is preferable to that nightmare.

*And considering that these are the films that gave us Gungans, democratically elected teenage queens, midichlorians, and a Senate that is worse than useless, among other things, that's saying something.

14. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008

He was a teen in Episode II what did you expect? Most teens are moody, shallow, and arrogant it is a stage in life. TCW Anakin is really the same person, just different times. by ROTS Anakin is more worried about his dreams and saving Padme.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah, a Senate that's "worse than useless".

Because we all know that could never happen.[face_sick]

16. SuperSaiyaMan12

Aug 30, 2005
    It looks like you *really* didn't read the post at all...

17. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Actually I did, The problem is that everyone seems to have had their own view of who Anakin Skywalker was suppose to be. But when he turned out to be a real person who had flaws, they were upset. Anakin is a teen in AOTC, so being whiny, arrogant and annoying is pretty muc

18. SuperSaiyaMan12

Aug 30, 2005

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You presume a dichotomy where there is none. He was a real person, correct? Check. He had flaws, correct? Check. Therefore he was in fact a real person with flaws. As for the lack of heroics, I advise watching the films again. Including the OT, in which Obi-Wan never described Anakin as noble or a hero.

20. SuperSaiyaMan12

Aug 30, 2005
    He wasn't a real person. He had way too many 'flaws'. He was stupid. He was arrogant. He was creepy. You keep ignoring these facts that he was simply an unlikeable character. Hell at times, he just seemed to be a talking stick in the movies for whatever crappy dialogue that Lucas wrote.

Obi-wan told us he was a good man, a heroic man. Yet in the Prequels, we saw him as a selfish, stupid, arrogant bastard child. Not a hero that Obi-wan told us about. Even in episode III, we saw him as a selfish bastard who kills children.

21. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008

22. Sol_Invictus

Jun 6, 2006
    Actually, Anakin as a "real person with flaws" would've been freaking fantastic. What we got instead was a cardboard cutout that showed us nothing but flaws. Game3525, your attempt to compare Anakin and Luke is laughable. Luke was a well-meaning, brash young hero. He had a good heart, but not so much restraint and ability to see the bigger picture. Anakin, on the other hand, was a self-indulgent punk who spent two of the three films doing almost nothing but sulking and raging about his desires being thwarted. I have no doubt that some of you can relate to him, but that says something rather nasty about your upbringing. I particularly liked the bit where he was crying "It's not fair!" when they didn't promote him to Jedi Master the moment his voice stopped breaking when he got excited.

You know what, you've been toeing the line in this thread, but insulting someone's upbringing is beyond the pale. G_M.

23. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    How does it say anything about my ubringing, you must have a very high opinion about your own character. Anyway, Anakin and Luke are quite similer. Anakin biggest problem was he was not able to let go of the people he loved. This is a very human emotion, that I assume everyone goes through. In the ROTS book, Obi-Wan sums it up well "Anakin is loyal to people." Anakin and Luke were both good people, who overall had good intentions. But the son was able to let go and allow things to change. Something Anakin was not willing or able to do, which was his downfall.

Anakin is the tragic hero, while Luke is the epic hero.

24. Sol_Invictus

Jun 6, 2006
    Yeah, Anakin's loyalty was repeatedly demonstrated in the movies, like when he turned on the Jedi, including his trusted friend Obi-Wan. And he was clearly having a hard time "letting go" of his wife's throat at the very end. His love for the people in his life is truly astounding.

To follow up: Anakin's inability to let things change is a symptom of extreme egotism. It is the refusal to admit that he does not shape the universe to his liking. This is pretty much the only believable and consistent part of Anakin's character, despite how it was obviously unintentional. The fall of the Jedi happened because one egomaniacal brat refused to acknowledge that the universe did not revolve around him. If this is something you can relate to, you're probably going to require extensive therapy.

25. Sol_Invictus

Jun 6, 2006
    Sorry, double-post.