main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The OFFICIAL Anakin Solo thread: What a Jedi Knight Ought To Be II

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthBoba, Dec 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    To all who enter: This is a thread about Anakin Solo. Grandson of Our Lord Darth Vader. Feel free to post favorite moments, speculation about him and Tahiri, his future, your hopes for his progression as a Jedi..so on.

My favorite moments are the description of him in the first book of the Corellian Trilogy..spittin' image of his grandfather at that age. Eerie. And, of course, when he takes on three Vong simultaneously in Onslaught. As far as I'm concerned, he was a Jedi Knight from that moment on.

Tahiri and him: I'm sure they'll wind up toghether..somehow. And make plenty of Force-sensitive little kids.

His progression as a Jedi: I see him becoming Qui-Gon Jinn like. The early hints are there-he's an actions-oriented Jedi, and he's rebellious when he thinks it necessary.

2. LORD_MALICE

LORD_MALICE Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2001
    I think you need to keep reading the series. :)

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yes, I know what happened to him in SbS..I don't think it'll be permanent, however..

4. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    judging by your post, i think youve been in the unknown regions a bit too long. and also u havent read star by star.

anywhoo, if was still alive it would be cool if he got a vision from yoda, obiwan,his gramps, or mace windu sayin how the old republic knights were and how to be more like them to win the war. Then again luke or someone else could have the vision.......but thats a whole different thread in itself.

5. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I dont agree at all that Anakin Solo is " what a Jedi Knight ought to be, " and after the events of SbS I think that is plainly obvious. Yes, he may have died a noble, heroes death, but it was most likely inevitable in his character development. Since VP the authors have been setting up Anakin's inevitable downfall and demise, and the signs are easy to see in hindsight, as most things are. When Chewie died in VP, Anakin took the mantle of responsiblity solely on his shoulders. He thought the only way to regain his father's respect and love was to be a hero, to beome what he thought was " what a Jedi Knight ought to be."

So, throughout the duration of the NJO Anakin has fought bravely, winnig in the face of insurmountable odds. But, as he learned in SbS, knowing how to wield the destructive powers of the Force does not make one a great Jedi. Being a great Jedi didnt save him from a mortal wound, one he received when it could have most likely been avoided. But he didnt want to fail the strike team like he failed Chewie, and he payed with his life.

Enter Jacen Solo. He is what I think a Jedi ought to be. Jacen seeks to learn and absorb all he can about the Force. He has such an awe and respect for the Force that at times he dosent feel it is his right to use such awesome power on those who do not possess it. But, as we have seen, Jacen will not hesitate to use the Force when all other options have been dried up. He used it to save Danni in VP, he used it to save Leia in BP, and used it to help the strike team escape and kill the voxyn queen. Jacen uses the Force when absolutely necessary and was able to achieve his goals in these instances. This is what has kept him alive throughout the NJO while other Jedi are dropping left and right, not the cowboy like antics that got ultimately killed his brother.

Okay, end of rant. :D

6. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    I love this thread!
    Anyone who argues that Jacen was a better Jedi, I give you this from SbS: Anakin was the Force, the Force was Anakin
    'nuff said.
    Anakin is (i say is because even if he doesn't come back (which would by a crying shame) he still lives on in my AU fafics :D) the example of what a Jedi should be. He gives of himself for others without even thinking about. Very very mature for his (and my (lol)) age.

7. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    JAS is right, Anakin is much better than Jacen. Of all the Solo kids Jacen had the most backwards veiw of the Jedi.

8. jed-eye

jed-eye Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2000
    hey there is already a thread like this over ant the EU Community boards. but anyway, i'd have to agree, Anakin Solo kicks ass! he isn't only better than jacen and jaina combined, he's also better than the rest of the jedi in his generation. he was easily the most engaging character in the NJO. i am currently rereading Onslaught and it just depresses me how much i took the character for granted when he was alive. he has developed so much since the JJK books and in the NJO alone he has grown from a spoiled jedi brat to a somewhat capable young man. it is such a bith that DelRey had to kill him off. stupid decision imho.

9. bobabooie

bobabooie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2001
    Anakin had some potental but he was from fro a model Jedi. For the first thing he let his anger get the better of him allthe time. He didn't veiw the force as what it is,but as a "tool" the Force is MUCH more then just a tool.

Jacen has a good grasp about the force, his views in Balance point were alittle messed up but he at least understands that there is a Dark Side and that attacking in any form is aggression and a Jedi can't do it without risking falling to the Darkside. There is more to a Jedi then just being Heroic. Anakin looks away to the future, wanting excitment and advaneture, he lives up to the "fantaxy" idea of the "Hero Jedi" rather then what a "real" Jedi should be.

10. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    "He didn't veiw the force as what it is,but as a "tool" the Force is MUCH more then just a tool."

Um... no... take this quote for example

"I know. But among other things it's a tool."
    -Edge of Victory II Rebirth
    -Page 19

Note the words "among other things." Anakin never says the Force is just a tool, so either you got confused or you heard what you wanted to hear. In any event, I have no idea what you're talking about w/ the whole anger thing, so if you could point out an expample i would greatly appreciate it.

11. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I think that it is plainly obvious that Anakin viewed the Force as a tool. And, if you want to go a bit farther, when he was one with the Force he was, in essence, the tool. He was merely a weapon, granted a very very powerful weapon, but a weapon just the same. All he knew was action, reaction and more action. He didnt understand that there is a deeper level of understanding to the Force, beyond physical defense and attack. He may have thought that he knew more about the Force beyond that, but I dont think he did. He was too confident in his abilities, too sure the Force would guide him through - always- no matter what. That theory and way of thinking is what got him killed, if you ask me.

12. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    *sighs*
    Anakin *was* the Force at the end of SbS. If you're going to argue that he doesn't have a deep understanding of the Force after that I'm not going to bother trying to convince you otherwise.
    He sacrificed his body so that the Force would have a vessel to stop the Vong for that brief period of time, he was the only one who every saw the Vong through the Force. If he isn't the Jedi with the deepest understanding of the Force, than I don't know who is.

13. bobabooie

May 3, 2001
    If you want to go into more EU stuff, Ulic had an understanding of the force - he understood everything about it, Anakin did not. He said that in Edge of Victory because he was being scolded by Corran for giving into his anger, Corran could see seeds of the Dark Side being planeted in Anakin, Anakin was just telling Corran what he wanted to hear while he thought he really knew better, which he did a lot (ie - going to Yavin after being told not too etc...);. Anakin no where near what a perfect Jedi should be. And you can't compair him to Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon was defiant but he understood the force - Anakin doesn't understand and is defiant because he thinks hes right without the understanding.

14. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    Doesn't understand the Force?
    Have you *read* any of the NJO books?

15. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    Sorry, that was uncalled for.
    I'm in a really bad mood today... I got absolutely no sleep last night.
    My humblest apologies, every one is entitled to their own opinions.

16. bobabooie

May 3, 2001
    Thats fine, and no he doesn't understand it. He thinks its a tool to be used like a lightsaber and its not. The force is bigger then an Jedi and not just a tool for a Jedi to use. Anakin doesn't/didn't understand that the force can control him and his destiny, he thought he was in total control and the force was his tool to use as he saw fit. He didn't understand it.

If anyone has read Lord of the Rings (I havn't seen it yet) you can compare Boromir to Anakin. Boromir thought he could control the Ring and that the Ring was a tool/weapon he could use to protect his people. He didn't understand like Gandof and Frodo did, that the ring would control the one who wore it. The force is the same way. The Force can/does control a Jedi (nothing happens by accient). Anakin thought - like Boromir - that he could control the force that bigger then him.

17. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    ok, and that's a valid opinion, just one i don't happen to share. and i don't have to either.

18. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    The Force can't completely control someone, just as someone cannot completely control it. SW ANH Ben explains this.

19. bobabooie

May 3, 2001
    "just as someone cannot completely control it" - Anakin thought he could/

20. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    No, he knew the Force was an entity unto itself. In that way, it could help him achieve what he wanted to achieve.

21. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    And now we have exactly what I was trying to avoid: a full fledged argument.
    It's fiction!
    I have an opinion (which Lonewolf seems to agree with) and you have yours.
    We can all agree to disagree right?

22. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    Sure, we're all different. But, there's nothing like a good debate. :D

23. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    That I easily can agree with Lonewolf.
    Everybody needs a good argument now and then, it's like excercise for the brain :D.

24. jedigandy

jedigandy Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2001
    I don't know if Anakin Solo is what a Jedi should be or not, because it depends on what era of Jedi. The Old Order was very different from the New Order. However, I believe Anakin has a thorough and deep connection and understanding of the Force.

It states in the NJO that Anakin has always tried to be like his uncle...yet you don't see people bashing Luke left and right about his behavior from ROTJ to VoF. He did exactly what Anakin is doing now...fighting the fight that has to be fought.

From the beginning of the NJO, Anakin has been written as possibly the most powerful Jedi to date. He wielded two lightsabers...a task only two other people I know of have done...Luke Skywalker and Exar Kun. He thought the Force was a part of something greater. To keep with tradition, I'll use a "Lord of the Rings" analogy. Anakin viewed the Force much like one of the nine rings of power given to the human lords. They are part of the one ring which is a higher power. Anakin had the greatest respect and awe of the Force...just like his brother does. He never acted irrationally or hastily. He always did what the Force told him to do. Going to Yavin 4 wasn't an impulsive decision. He knew he had to go there because the Force told him to do so. By listening to the Force, a Jedi gains insight on how he or she should act. By refusing to ever use the Force <coughJacencough>, a Jedi has no guidance on the right path and is destined to fall.

In SbS, Anakin became the Force. It is clearly written that Anakin reached a level of oneness with the Force that we've never seen. If they can read, nobody can reasonably dispute the fact that Anakin does understand and have a very strong connection to the Force. Anakin's actions were selfless and heroic. He never thought of himself in any of his actions. He was always concerned with the greater good that needed to be accomplished.

All that being said, I don't think Anakin will come back from the dead. I don't think he can come back from the dead because he never died to begin with. I'm not sure how DelRey will write his return...but I'm sure it has something to do with the husk. I think Anakin and Tahiri will be the key to victory over the Yuzzhan Vong.

25. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    Thank you jedigandy, i think you just made my day :).
    That is exactly what i think, my idea is that the Yuuzhan Vong "husk" he was in at the end of SbS is sorta the Vong equivilent of a bacta tank. But however they write it into the story it's good to see i'm not the only one with hope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.