main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The official Anakin's Spirit poll

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Nov 5, 2013.

?

When I picture Anakin's Ghost, I see...

1. Sebastian Shaw

115 vote(s)
    58.4%
  2. Hayden Christensen

82 vote(s)
    41.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    Despite agreeing with many of the pro Hayden arguments, when I first think of the ghost of Anakin, I think of Shaw. I mean, it's been that way for years- hard to not be the actor I think about in the part.

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I don't. I can't even remember Sebastian Shaw's face any more.

3. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Shaw. The replacement by Lucas was one of the biggest mistakes he made in the Special Editions. Why can't Obi-Wan be young then? Or Yoda (maybe he was never young haha)?

4. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Shaw still plays Vader unmasked. It is so not like he loses any good screen time. Shaw as a ghost just makes no visual narrative sense. When I was a kid I didn't even know that the seemingly random third ghost was supposed to be Anakin. Hayden and Shaw both in Vader makeup manage to look quite similar, such that the visual consistency works when we see Anakin go into the suit and then finally come out of the suit. Hayden and Shaw as out-of-makeup performers are *SO* different looking that Shaw's appearance as ghost Anakin would have confused young viewers for generations. [See thread "That old man Anakin]

And that stupid grin, man, come on.

5. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Surprisingly closer than I expected. But I have to say Shaw.

We get old Obi-Wan and Yoda, not "hey we were 20 years younger, lets go with thtat instead. I looked SO much better".

Anakin was redeemed at the end, and so should appear his age.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I myself can't see younger Anakin as fully redeemed, ( not a bad thing because we can get plenty of stories of Anakin working in the afterlife to redeem himself fully)but can see older Anakin redeemed.

7. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Hayden for me.
    The other guy seems completely random, While Hayden is instantly recognizable as Anakin.
    Also, since Yoda said that Anakin died when he became Vader, having him return as his pre-Vader looks makes perfect sense. Also, it ties up & links the entire Saga together in a way I've never seen done on film before and it frankly brilliant.
    This change is my absolute favorite change in all the sets of special editions. Good work Lucas!

P.S. Seagoat, you should have put this in the Saga section if you wanted a proper JCF tally.

8. badluckhulahula

badluckhulahula Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2013
    Both are just awesome. Who's to say in 30 more years it wont be some other rad actor? Gotta keep it fresh for the kids.

9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    1. You stated your reason beautifully. 100% agree with you ^_^

2. Yeah, you may be right about that... but I don't know if the mods would be ok with it... can we get someone to look this idea over please? :D

10. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Fine to keep it here for the time being - it's largely an OOT vs SE issue - but I might merge it with the old Shaw vs Hayden thread in Saga later on if the discussion warrants it. Carry on.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Hayden

Cause he is Anakin and is the most recognizable

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Well, it really depends on how one looks at it. Was Anakin's spirit always representative of Anakin during his prime (before the downfall)? If yes, Sebastian was always a placeholder until the prequels got made. If it was an healed version of Anakin after sacrificing himself, then Sebastian makes more sense of course. Turns out it was the former, so I learned to prefer Hayden as a ghost. I just thing they should have replaced the whole body, instead of just swapping the head.

13. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Seems completely random? In case you forgot, Shaw played the unmasking scene with Luke only a few minutes before this. I did not have any problem with recognizing Shaw as Anakin and no one I know who saw the film back in 83 had any problem either.

Yoda was wrong about Vader, as was Obi-Wan. They thought that Anakin was dead and gone, Luke proved them wrong. Anakin was always there, he had lost his way, given in to his hate and fear. This had twisted and corrupted him, but he was still Anakin Skywalker and there was still some good inside him. Luke felt this good and showed his father that he still had a choice, that he wasn't doomed to be a slave forever. And Vader finally broke his chains and returned to the light. And this he did as an older man. So if the ghost is meant to show the full character arc of Anakin Skywalker, then the old ghost works much better.

If you want Hayden there, put him in both scenes and allow him to actually act. Simply doing a cut and paste job is lazy and sloppy.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

14. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Shaw.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  15. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I never really liked the old Anakin spirit. Mostly because he looked older than Obi-Wan (and Shaw was), despite the fact that he was his pupil. I could go back to the "he is too old to begin the training" argument, but that's another topic. But look on the bright side, Shaw was immortalized as an action figure.

16. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Nobody is forgetting anything. Shaw's face in the demasking scene looks as much like his old ghost as Hayden's face in the masking scene looks like Hayden. Covered in makeup and unrecognizable. No correlation. So it does seem completely random, especially knowing what Anakin actually looks like.
    And even IF you're correct in your assessment of Anakin's redemption (Star Wars canon says you aren't), then Shaw still isn't correct because Anakin should look like a man in his mid-forties, not a man pushing 80!!
    More James Bond, less Gandalf.

17. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Shaw, easily Shaw. It just makes no sense how Anakin's force ghost appeared to Luke in his younger years. How would Luke even know that was Anakin? Just another one of the changes to the OT that angers. Besides re editing Fett's voice and Vader's unbearable NO..NOOOOOOOOO! at the end of ROTJ.

18. Denco

Denco Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2013
    I like Hayden (in general), but Shaw is more logical.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Other:

The Stay Pufft Marshmallow Man

20. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    1. He feels his presence in the Force.
    2. He's much like his father, who's been known to "catch on pretty quick".

- Much anger in him, like his father.
    - A flaw more and more common among Jedi.

/LM

Andy Wylde and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  21. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
  22. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    Shaw, just because I've watched RotJ many times before the DVD came out. I don't mind the change though. Jarren has a point with saying that Anakin should look like he's in his mid-40s. Maybe after the ST, they can film footage of a 40-year-old Hayden and update it again. :p

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  23. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012

Good points. But still, it just doesn't really make any sense in my opinion.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That would work imo.

Count Yubnub and MOC Yak Face like this.
  25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.