main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The official Anakin's Spirit poll

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Nov 5, 2013.

?

When I picture Anakin's Ghost, I see...

1. Sebastian Shaw

115 vote(s)
    58.4%
  2. Hayden Christensen

82 vote(s)
    41.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I prefer both, actually. It likely has more to do with whether or not one fully embraces Anakin's trilogy.
    ...and then there's the fact that Anakin's ghost has been changed from old to young. If he'd always appeared young, I highly doubt that this would've been a hot topic, even if the original young guy had been replaced with Hayden.
    Like Anakin, most fans don't want things to change.

- There's nothing for me here now.
    - There's a settlement.

/LM

2. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I personally like the Jake Lloyd version of Anakin.

Paparazzo likes this.
  3. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001

Oh sorry didn't now the question who had the best performance, i thought it was what look fits the theme of the movie better

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    When my daughter was little like 7 we watched Jedi with the old ghost. She had no idea who it was and even asked. However my son is 7 and only seen the young Anakin ghost. He has no problem know who it was

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    OK. OK. Calm down and stop double posting. :p

6. JediTerminator

JediTerminator Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2004
    I pick Sebastian Shaw because he was on the 1992 VHS which I saw in 2000 before I ever saw the 1997 remastered versions.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Shaw.

T-R- likes this.
  8. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    I watched the unaltered version first, but I had no problem at all with the Hayden ghost. I really like the PT so it was cool for me to see the Anakin I grew up with once again; after all, he's 46 by the time of ROTJ according to the official timeline, so (will all due respect for Shaw) he's not supposed to look like an old man, my vote goes for Hayden.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I grew up with Shaw, but I was happy with the change when it was first made. Now that I look back on it, I think I prefer Shaw, because it keeps with when he actually died and who he was. It wouldn't go back to before he fell to the dark side, because he was once again fully in the light.

10. tal0nkarrde

tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    As far as I see it, it has to be Shaw - the older version of Anakin is the one that died and should be the one we see in the Force.

DL44Jo, T-R-, Force Smuggler and 2 others like this.
  11. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Sebastian Shaw any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Hayden Christensen's creepy mug does not belong in ROTJ. [​IMG]

Shaw's face says: I am a luminous being. Now I can rest in peace, having finally destroyed the Sith and reemed myself. I am glad I saw my son with my own eyes and I am also happy he forgave me. Hayden´s face says: Hide your daughters. I'm a creepy guy and I honestly believe I look cool. :rolleyes:

TooMuchBBQ, DL44Jo, vandalove and 5 others like this.
  12. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Ya I would have went with shaw he's alittle to old but to have anakin die an old man and come back as Hayden is just awkward you see yoda and obi wan 2 old stoic beings then you got this young guy that the last time we saw he was murdering kids so it doesn't work for me

DL44Jo, vandalove and Paparazzo like this.
  13. Darth Ardyti

Darth Ardyti Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2014
    While I'm not sure I agree about Hayden's look (kind of funny though), this pretty much sums up my feelings about Shaw.

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Shaw's face says: I'm a senile old man drooling while I evacuate my luminous bowels into an adult diaper.

Andy Wylde, Paparazzo and Seagoat like this.
  15. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    I grew up with Shaw, and before the PT came out that was the only face of Anakin, so he was Anakin. It was kind of odd that his Force ghost was so elderly, but I just made the excuse that that's how he looked when he died, except for the hair and no scars. Once I saw Hayden as Anakin's force ghost, I was suprised, but it made more sense to me and it tied the two trilogies together for me.
    So I like both, but my vote would be for Hayden.
    And Anakin is the same character, whether it be Lloyd, Shaw or Hayden, so he's still the same person who killed the younglings, force choked his wife, killed the Jedi, and all of the other atrocities he commited. So "Hayden's Anakin did this and that" is a moot point to me. Doesn't matter who is in the role, in my opinion, it's the same guy.

Andy Wylde, Cael-Fenton and skygawker like this.
  16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Remember the original point of this poll I made is not "which do you like more," we have had many discussions on that lol. The question is "which version comes to mind first"

17. bryant

bryant Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2014
    Shaw comes to mind first for me. I grew up in between the OT and the PT. I accept both as Anakin...but when I think of the force ghost in RotJ I think Shaw.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Sebastian Shaw comes to mind first. There is no second.

Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Hayden Christensen for me

20. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
  21. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Shaw.

22. The Admiral Snackbar

The Admiral Snackbar Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 3, 2014
    Shaw is most definitely who it SHOULD be but unfortunately when i think of Anakins ghost the first thing that comes to mind is Hayden

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    DL44Jo and TX-20 like this.
  24. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    Hayden. I think the first time I saw it was with Shaw, but Hayden still comes to mind first (and I prefer it that way).

Andy Wylde and Seagoat like this.
  25. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Shaw is who comes to mind immediately.

I'm of the 'PT generation', but I saw the unHayden version of RotJ first, shortly after TPM, and for me Shaw just stuck in my mind. I'm still undecided about which is 'better' for the storytelling though.

I think the question of which version works 'better' raises fascinating issues about the nature of redemption and spiritual grace in the GFFA, which I haven't quite thought through to my satisfaction yet. And I'm not sure I ever will. I think those issues aren't meant to be answered.

But the very fact that George provoked thought about them by putting Hayden in? Works for me. I don't feel that there needs to be One Definitive Version of a work of art which is better than any other version. You can like them all for different reasons. The multiple versions of each film...it's a very postmodern approach to making art. The debates over which is THE definitive one is like asking whether Duchamp's The Bride Stripped Bare was better before or after it was broken.

TX-20 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.