main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The official Anakin's Spirit poll

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Nov 5, 2013.

?

When I picture Anakin's Ghost, I see...

1. Sebastian Shaw

115 vote(s)
    58.4%
  2. Hayden Christensen

82 vote(s)
    41.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    According to old EU, Obi-Wan and Yoda found his drifting consciousness before it faded into the Force, and helped him maintain his identity as a ghost

The real life reason is that it was probably the idea that ALL Jedi become ghosts after death, rather than being a rare technique

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    That still makes the most sense - Anakin appears as a ghost, therefore confirming that in his dying moments he'd become a Jedi once more, and was no longer the Sith Lord Darth Vader. Nothing more to it than that.

It's not contradicted by the PT as it stands, except for a pretty vague reference to the Qui-Gon deleted scene, which made the whole Force Ghost thing far more elaborate, but what does remain doesn't go into this elaboration. The only supposed contradiction anyone picked up on was that the Jedi of the PT don't disappear/fade away when they die as Obi-Wan & Yoda did, but neither did Anakin in ROTJ anyway.

3. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011

This is just my opinion, and I've shared it before, but I think Anakin comes back because he is the Chosen One. Being born of the force, he didn't need to learn "the trick". It was his default.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think these were the Lucas quotes (compiled by darth-sinister) that implied Anakin had to learn it from Yoda & Ben:

Andy Wylde likes this.
  5. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Shaw

TX-20 likes this.
  6. DustingCropsBoy_

DustingCropsBoy_ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2011
    The poll needs an option for "both"! I remember Shaw well, he was the 'default value' for many years after all, but I now accept Christensen as the ghost because logically it makes far more sense than the Shaw image.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Both versions can be and have been well explained in terms of logic. For me, it's a question of visual symmetry and symbolism and on those grounds I favour Shaw.

8. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    The poll isn't about whom you favour.... lol it's about which version pops into your head first. No bias, just what is the image you have when you hear "Anakin's ghost"

9. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayden. Plus it ties the OT back in with the PT which is never a bad thing.

Andy Wylde and Seagoat like this.
  10. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Ok Seagoat, I'll rephrase for you.

I visualize an older, fatherly figure in that scene when I think of it, and the only representation of that type of character that we have is Shaw.

Short answer: Shaw.

Sarge and Seagoat like this.
  11. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    When it's done in the opposite fashion, sure. The PT should have been made to be congruent with the OT; not vice versa. And I don't mean by throwing Chewbacca or lines like "so uncivilized" in there. I do see GL's reasoning for young Anakin in ROTJ up to a point, though, and I think long-term, it makes sense for people who may see the films 50 years for now. It certainly wasn't a necessary change, though, as you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that Shaw was Anakin.

lovelikewinter and Sarge like this.
  12. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Sebastian all the way! I am tired of Anakin's entitlement! So Yoda and Kenobi get to stay old, but Anakin who nearly destroyed the Jedi Order gets to be young?!

Jedi Knight Fett and Sarge like this.
  13. Jedi Kao Cen Darach

Jedi Kao Cen Darach Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2014
    Hayden because that was his prime, aka when he was a Jedi. If he came back as a force ghost alongside two other Jedi, I would imagine it is in his Jedi form.

14. obi1jedinite

obi1jedinite Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2002
  15. LongHairedAussieGuy

LongHairedAussieGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2014
  16. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
  17. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    How is Hayden more logical than Shaw though?

18. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Jedi Daniel I'd make this a normal reply, but that feature isn't working for me. Weird

Anyway, because when he was redeemed, he reverted to the form he was in when he was last on the light side

If you're saying that the fact that he was 46 when he physically died makes it senseless to see him as young, then it likewise makes no sense that his ghost isn't a limbless barbecue

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Obi-Wan didn't have a scar after he died in ANH. Wouldn't have one all the way across his stomach but should have one on his side by your logic right? Seeing Anakin young just ruins the growth OT Anakin went through imo.

20. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Yes it can, Jon, you're assuming.

21. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Force Smuggler We don't see Obi-Wan's stomach due to it being covered up by his ghost robes

Cushing's Admirer Hm.... I cannot deduce how. Would you mind explaining please?

EDIT: Ohhhh ok, I see what you both mean. The ghost is healed to their full bodily health when they appear, so if Anakin's ghost is old, then yes, he would be healed. I think I get it

Andy Wylde likes this.
  22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Both Force Ghosts can make perfect sense and yes NOT mechenical. Hayden does NOT because by most justifer's logic Yoda and Ben should be young too and are not.

Shaw as he was made sense. He was Anakin whole and restored and *mature*.

Jedi Daniel and Darth_Nub like this.
  23. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Then that is your opinion and I will respect it :)

24. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    I think it depends on how the viewer perceives what Force-ghost appearances are meant to represent, which of course is subjective - there's no one "right" answer. I can understand why someone would think it made sense for Anakin to appear the age he was when he died, but healed of his injuries. For me, though, I tend to think that Force-ghosts appear as the person views him or herself. So most people would appear how they looked when they died, since that's what they were used to seeing in the mirror. Anakin had never seen what he looked like older and unscarred, and he associated his masked/burned appearance with Vader rather than his light side self, so he just reverted back to what he remembered looking like before he fell.

But like I said, I can see both sides of the debate.

25. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Luke states though about trying to bring his Father back to the good side (Light side of the Force), in which he was successful since there was good in him. When doing this, he is redeemed and appears as an old man.

Sarge likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.