main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The *Official* AOTC Media Review Discussion Thread (NO SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by brendawg83, May 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brendawg83

brendawg83 Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2002
    EDIT: To keep all discussion of reviews in one place, this has been designated the official thread.

Please DO NOT copy and past any reviews that have spoilers in them, or you'll find yourself banned. Always edit the reviews before posting them. Also, DO NOT post links to spoiler reviews without warning about their content. Thank you.

Anybody who's been reading reviews notice that everything was completely glowing prior to today the 8th, but now with the media screening critics are vehemently bashing it? I remember reading a few days ago where it was said by Fox News that "the TV critics love it which is a very hard audience to please," now with the review on their website it is an about face. I don't get it.

2. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    It looks like they have a few gripes:

- a slow start
    - bad acting
    - hokey love story
    - some bad CG at the end

*sigh*

3. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    There is a good thread over at Home Theater Forum that is tracking the reviews of AOTC.

Suffice it to say, we have not gone from a situation of "universal praise" to "universal bashing"

At last count, there were 30+ positive reviews and 4 negative. Heck, if EW hadn't panned it, the other 3 wouldn't be a story at all.

Fans like it...that's the most important thing. In fact, I haven't read a review by a single fan that pans AOTC.

4. Tedakin_Skywalker

Tedakin_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2002
    I don't get it.. Everyone's just focusing on the negative it seems. There's 10 positives for every 1 negative. So far on rottentomatoes it's 8 fresh 2 rotten. What did everyone expect? 100% positive consensus? I'm just thrilled everyone says it's a lot better than TPM.

5. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    "I'm just thrilled everyone says it's a lot better than TPM. "

Me too...especially since I love TPM.

Don't focus on the negative people...some people are determined to hate this movie no matter what.

6. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Yeah, I've certainly seen more good reviews than bad ones. I've also noticed that the negative reviews seem start out with the reviewer STILL bashing TPM. One review spent about a third of the article talking about Ep I. The reiview is obviously biased if barely half the article is about the film being reviewed.

Think what you want about TPM, but I was actually looking for a review of AOTC, thank you very much.

7. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    Agree Hippie Kenobi...it's as if some reviewers will pan AOTC unless it makes up for the perceived faults of TPM.

8. OneTruth

OneTruth Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    Exactly. I figured that they'd love AOTC if they hated TPM, but it seems they just want to keep hating SW in general after TPM.

9. DeltaJedi

DeltaJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    Why is everyone focusing on the negative?

Because, like it or not, the one major negative review thus far is going to be showing up in millions of mailboxes across the country this week.

10. brendawg83

brendawg83 Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2002
    Maybe you guys are right then since no matter how good it is some won't like it. But I just feel as though that negative reviews begin to snowball as it becomes a new media frenzy in itself just to bash the movie.

11. Darth-Mouth

Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 1999
    The critique that the love story slows the film down too much are interesting, because if scenes had been cut in favor of more action the critique would have been that the love story wasn't drawn out enough or convincing enough.

George just can't win.

12. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    You're right to be concerned about negative backlash...it might become cool again to bask Star Wars...but I think the movie will stand on its own.

13. Tedakin_Skywalker

Tedakin_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2002
    What's the link to the home theater forum featuring all the ep2 reviews? Anyone?

14. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    Dath-Mouth: remember when Lucas predicted that some people wouldn't like Episode II because of the love story? Looks like he was right on....

Still he has to focus on it...the twins can't show up out of thin air, nor can they be written off as the result of a one night stand or something...

15. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Look how much critics bashed ANH in '77. I wouldn't take any of these reviews seriously. The only opinion that matters is your own.

16. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
  17. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    If the reviews are generally positive, then the negative reviews will have only a marginal impact. If you go to rottentomatoes.com and look up Spiderman, about 15% of the reviewers didn't like the movie, including Ebert.

Yet, the movie itself managed to get about 114 Million on opening weekend.

Besides, it is the word of mouth that counts more. If the word of mouth is good, then the movie will generally be successful, especially with a well-known movie franchise.

18. DeltaJedi

DeltaJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    What REALLY gets me is how the buzz went from good to bad in, literally, one night.

I mean, go read on CNN.com this story: http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/06/ca.s02.cooper.otsc/index.html

This was yesterday, I believe. As recently as yesterday, they were saying the buzz on the movie has been really good and that the critics were, so far, in love with the movie.

Did they change the cut of the film? Was one of the reels out of sequence or something? It just dosen't make sense that everything did a complete 180 so quickly...

I'm not eager to go through another 3 years in an anti-Star Wars climate. I'm already wanting to go Darth Vader on the next idiot who makes some stupid comment about Lord of the Rings being the greatest trilogy ever made. Idiocy...

19. jayme_

jayme_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    "Me too...especially since I love TPM."

Me three.

20. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    Please explain how the "buzz" has changed overnight? 90%+ of the reviews I have read are positive.

Don't mistake the release of the first few negative reviews as a change in the buzz about this film.

21. Darth-Mouth

Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 1999
    ur right Miles.....EW didn't like it. Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Rolling Stone sorta did, but the fact that it wasn't a TOTAL panning is a win in my book.

22. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    blah they say the same thing about every star wars movie.

they wanted titanic in space and thats what the critics expected, persoanlly i'm happy its not space titanic!

a few "bad" effects hahahaha these bad effects are other movies good effects lol. if george does't take a chance once in awhile there wouldn't be anything new
    because everyone else is too scared to try because they will get a bad review!

i read one review listed on the main page that was more about tpm than aotc and it said that everyone want to forget it *%^$ i'm tired of critics talking for me.

23. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    There is only one review that matters in my book. The review that will literally influence probably millions of people and set the tone for this film. I'm talking about the one critic who rules them all..

Roger Ebert

Usually I agree totally with his reviews so if he likes/loves/hates this thing I probably will too. He loved TPM and so did I. Chances are he'll love AOTC too. On the other hand, if he tears this film up prepare for some serious backlash. As I said I doubt he will at all so it's not really an issue but if he does this forum will get real nasty. I've never disagreed with the man on a movie, but there's always a first time.

24. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    When, Roger Ebert reviewed TPM, he was the only one who really got the point of the movie.

And, he is a huge Star Wars fan. He may show some bias.

25. lono

lono Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    "remember when Lucas predicted that some people wouldn't like Episode II because of the love story? Looks like he was right"

People will be against a love story if it is handled poorly.

Lono

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.