main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The *Official* AOTC Media Review Discussion Thread (NO SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by brendawg83, May 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lono

lono Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    From imdb.com:

Episode II: The First Reviews

Get set for Star Wars: Attack of the Critics. The first reviews of Episode II are hitting U.S. weeklies, British newspapers, and numerous Internet sites -- and many are as ornery as those for Episode I (although virtually all mention that the latest film is an improvement over the Jar Jar Binks episode). Lisa Schwarzbaum in Entertainment Weekly writes that the latest installment exhibits "a chill, conservative grimness of purpose, rather than an excited thrill at the possibilities of cinematic storytelling." Roger Friedman of FoxNews.com says that die-hard Star Wars cultists will have to "live with the enormous faults: hideous dialogue, bad plotting and infomercial-grade acting."

David Thomson in the London Independent asks rhetorically, "What's missing?" Then observes: "A movie, characters, a story. Just those antique elements." Especially missing, he indicates, is a "feeling in the series for some profound struggle between good and evil. The ethics are like cartoon thought bubbles." On the other hand, Alexander Walker in the London Evening Standard writes that the movie "is intimate and spectacular, event-packed and technology-triumphant." Indeed, most of the London press gives high marks to the film's special effects. But Kirk Honeycutt in the Hollywood Reporter is unimpressed. "Does anyone fondly recall the day when creatures in a Star Wars movie were guys in funny costumes?" he asks, adding: "There's no doubt the digital realm has enriched Lucas' vision with unimaginable worlds and creatures, but there can be too much of a good thing."

2. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    Friggin' IMDB! They do this with every movie. They always pretend that they're giving you a fair assessment of a movie's reviews, but then you go to rottentomatoes and you quickly realize that they're playing an angle. It is no suprise to me that they're playing anti-starwars/anti-george once again. They did all they could to keep the whole "George Lucas is racist, Jar Jar is Stephin Fetchit, Watto is jewish, the Neimoidians are asian" crap alive three years ago.

Man, I really want to cause some physical harm to some of these people (by "some" I mean "ALOT").

Don't worry about the negative reviews, unlike TPM these actually ARE the sort of negative reviews all the other SW movies got when they were released. And the positive reviews are EXTREMELY positive.

Also don't take anyone who complains about the existence of CGI serioulsy.

3. lono

lono Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    reposts of AICN reviews from closed thread:

"Mr. Sox Fox," comics shopkeeper:

"I went into this movie expecting nothing at all. After the crushing disappointment that was Phantom Menace, I decided not to even hope that Clones would be any better; even when early reviews started coming out positive, I isolated myself from all expectation of non-sucking. I went in prepared for the worst. And you know what? I didn't hate it. This is a big, fun movie that's actually growing on me; I'll see it again, and pay for the experience.

I'll address only two of the criticisms I've heard: that it has a slow middle and that the plot is too complicated.... I simply don't see either of those two things as being a drawback. The story is complex ? great! And the pacing slows down in the middle ? which it really needs to do. Frankly, this movie is as good as any of the Star Wars films ? yes, and I mean that pointedly towards Star Wars (Ep. IV, that is) and Empire. Look at Empire in particular ? the plot hurtles from one locale to another, the action is split up, and even Empire is stuffed to the gunwales with plot holes, ludicrous set pieces and big cheesy monsters. What part of 'this is a Star Wars movie' did you not understand? Clones is loads of fun and piled high with cool stuff ? and it doesn't have anything as show-stoppingly embarrassing as Jar Jar's antics in Menace, the 'Wacky Racers' shtick of the pod race or even the Ewoks. To counter the heapin' helpings of hate that will no doubt be ladled out by the film-sophisticate set, I'd offer a main course of 'go see it, fanboy' ? and a side dish of 'and stop pretending the rest of the movies were Citizen Kane.'"

----------------------------

Hey, everyone. "Moriarty" here with some Rumblings From The Lab.

It?s 5:00 in the morning. I?ve just finally gotten comfortable enough to sit down and actually write about seeing STAR WARS EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES.

I?ll give you the short version first, completely spoiler-free: I think it?s a great STAR WARS movie, a hell of a good ride, and well worth your time. See it in a digital house if at all possible. And, yes, it?s true... Yoda owns your weak ass.

But, hey... I?ve never really been about the short version, have I?

Let me back up a few days. A friend of mine died.

He?s my age. He was my age. He just got married. This is a great guy we?re talking about, young, with nothing but future. I know about accidents, sure, but this is different. This feels random in a different way. It?s not supposed to happen like this. I had my friend on my call list for STAR WARS tickets, to see if he wanted to join us, and where he wanted to see the midnight show first night. He was supposed to see EPISODE II. The anticipation was cautiously building in him the more he heard.
    And as I sat in the theater today and the 20th Century Fox logo came up, it was my friend I was thinking of. I can?t explain it. It was an emotional reaction that kicked in, totally unexpected. I was thinking of how strange fate is. I was thinking about how far I?ve come with STAR WARS films marking milestones along the way. And I thought, ?There?s no way I?m going to be able to focus on this film. There?s no way I?m going to be able to pay attention.?

It is a testament to the accomplishment of George Lucas and all of his artistic collaborators on AOTC that the next 2 hours and 21 minutes simply flew by, and I found myself transported almost entirely. This is a remarkable piece of visual imagination, not like anything I?ve seen before. It is unique to the series, even as it manages to feel like STAR WARS, heart and soul.

And it?s nowhere near perfect. Flaws the size of glaciers. Just so?s you know.

But I don?t care. I really don?t. How much you care is going to be up to you. In my opinion, the good outweighs the bad like Harry Knowles versus Warwick Davis. There?s a lot to like here, and if you want to get hung up on things, that?s cool. I?ll just shove past you on my way in to see the film for the fourth time.

[spoiler stuff star

4. Darth_Xero

Darth_Xero Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    It all really boils down to people tastes in movies. Everyone has their own opinion. The only thing that might bother me about reviews is the hidden agendas. Some of these critics might have a grudge against Lucas and it shows in their reviews. Don't pay to much attention to the critics guys. :)

5. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    I agree with Xero. For the most part, I don't believe I tend to agree with most critics. And it is true that many of them have hidden agendas.

Ewww's review was disappointing to me, but that doesn't change my opinion of what I believe the movie will be.

As it has been said, I suppose we just have to see what we think for ourselves after we see it.

6. pukearrhea

pukearrhea Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2002
    Chances are that AOTC will be a terrible "film".

I don't expect stellar acting, nor do I expect a brilliant plot. I can't see spectacularly complex characterizations as any kind of possibility. In fact, I don't even expect intelligent dialogue.

However, I do expect it to be "cool", "fun", and full of emotion. And, that, ladies and gentlemen, is what Mr. Lucas, will deliver.

There will be cool technologies, fun aliens, and one-sided characters that you find yourself investing an unusual, ridiculously high amount of your own personal hope in.

It will not be a great "film". It will be a movie. It will not go into film art textbooks. It will not "wow" your average snotty film critic. It will not even appeal to your grandparents.

And, you will all love it.

7. Darth_Dede

Darth_Dede Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 21, 1998
    Hey all, could someone who has already seen the film tell me, please,if the following review applies to AotC :

"a film with comic book characters, an unbelievable story, no political or social commentary, lousy acting, preposterous dialogue and a ridiculously simplistic plot. In other words: A BAD MOVIE."

Because i'll tel you what, if that is the case then I'm a happy man.Well, except for the fact that the movie doesn't come out here until July, 5th.

MTFBWY!

8. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    None of us have seen the film yet. It doesn't premiere until May 16.

9. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    I get to see it 4 1/2 hours early, on the 15th. Does that count? ;)

10. Blue_Viper

Blue_Viper Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2001
    I guess this fits in with Media Review:

Tonight on Fox 2 News (St. Louis), "Smash" ( local dj/news dude) was reporting from a screening of AOTC at the local theater. He liked it a lot, then went to some of the people that saw it, and got their impressions. Everyone loved it! One lady even loved the love story. So we'll just have to wait and see May 16th, but it appears "professional" critics don't like it, and the general public does. Which matters more? Hmmmm......

11. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Did y'all read the NY Times stuff on TF.n? [face_plain]

12. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    I read it, and the guy comes off like a total snot. I could be wrong as it's the first review of his I have ever read, but he just seemed to hold commercial Hollywood in general in contempt for even attempting to entertain him.

I also think he is trying to play the safe ground. If the general public dislikes AOTC like is claimed to be the case for TPM then a positive or even mixed bag review would make him look like an idiot. Seeing as his column probably goes out to tens of millions of homes he doesn't have to take that kind of chance so he won't.

Besides, even if the general public loves AOTC his review as negative as it is will likely not hurt him. Funny but negativity never seems to effect people like loving something people hate does. Positive seems to equal dumb while negative equals smart and pretentious in our society. I guess he's a friggin' genius!

13. Count_Draku

Count_Draku Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    Ebert didn't like AOTC? Hmmm....that's not good.

14. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    No Draku, Ebert's review isn't out yet. I was just reading his review of TPM though.. I loved it then and I love it now.

". As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day."

Amen, Ebert! AMEN!

15. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    "it appears "professional" critics don't like it, and the general public does."

EXACTLY...same thing happened...oh...about 3 years ago.

16. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Jar Jar, I think he was referring to the story on TF.N main page stating that Ebert apparently didn't like it. Pretty shocking indeed.

17. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    The users on IMDB seem to like it. Alot.

18. jiabaoyu

jiabaoyu Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 2000
    I believe CNN's Andersen Cooper (who loved AOTC) did a informal review and said that this is one that critics will not like but fans will definitely enjoy...so basically we get back into how star wars have always been: a critical failure and an audience favorite...and that's how it should be! ;)

19. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    Well, I kinda posted this before on another thread, but:

Roeper and Ebert's review are not out yet; it is still a bit premature.

Although, it would indeed be surprising if he did not like it, because if he liked the fun and adventure in TPM, then he should also like AoTC, which is (so far) generally reviewed to be fun and adventurous also.

20. brendawg83

brendawg83 Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2002
    You know what?! If any critic has the lines "2 hour toy commercial" in his review, SCREW HIM! SCREW HIM, SCREW HIM, SCREW HIM!!
    That is where they lose complete credibility in my opinion.

21. OffHisHead

OffHisHead Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2002
    So rottentomatoes.com has updated AOTC's ranking to a "rotten". 58% favorable reviews. Mind you, they only have a total of 12 reviews posted with 7 good and 5 bad. for the record, a score of 60% or higher is considered "fresh". This should most certainly change since there are many many good reviews that have not been posted on their site.

22. JediGroove

JediGroove Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2001
    Does anyone know what kind of reviews ESB got in 1980?

23. justin_sith

justin_sith Jedi Master star 1

Feb 17, 2001
    If reviews have such big influences on films box office why did Phantom menace make so much??? I didnt see 1 bad review for LOTR but it still didn't tople TPM at the box office, and I beilve LOTR would have had exactly the same Box office takings even if it had got bad reviews.
    Getting fed up of people being scared by what a few critics think.
    AOTC will be great :)

24. ozzman

ozzman Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2002

Personally Im not to fussed about how a review goes providing its well argued and constructive but when the NY Times guy describes Jimmy Smits as a Jedi Elder...he kinda loses my respect! Surely you should pay proper attention before reviewing anything!

25. Queen-Amydala

Queen-Amydala Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2001
    At first I was really upset reading all the negative reviews, and then it hit me that there's a common theme in all of them: THEY DON'T EVEN TALK ABOUT ATOC!

They rip on the franchise, on GL, on fans, on merchandising, etc., etc., and after they chew some more on TPM they FINALLY get to talking about ATOC and when they do, their comments center on things like cheesy lines (duh! where have they been for the last four movies?!)

Am I the only one, or does it seem like reviewers RESENT this franchise and the money it makes and the fans it has?

I'm so confused. I thought movies were ENTERTAINMENT! Why can't one flippin reviewer say if the movie was entertaining?

Alas, it matters not what any reviewer says. Fans will go because we care. Others will go because they're curious. And in the end ATOC will make millions of dollars, and maybe that's what pisses off the reviewers--knowing that no matter what they say, this movie is going to do well and be loved by many!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.