main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The ***Official*** AOTC Opening Night Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Obey Wann, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    We started to talk about this at D&B's last month, and now it's time to start serious planning for our party for opening night.

I'd love to have all of your feedback and options. I'd like to make this as big and exciting event as possible. That includes working with other fan boards and groups or SW organizations.

If you have any connections, contacts, etc, let's use them. :) I'm planning on contacting the manager of the Continental Theater about doing something special there. Once we have the info, then I'm going to try to have a banner placed under thier HUGE SW banner showing the Continental as the "Official Force.net Episode 2 Party" Location. Or something like that.

Maybe we might want to create a separate website for ourselves and for the party. But I'd love to see something big and easy that will get as many SW fans in the area pointed to the right area. And possibly having flyers at the WOTC and comic shops, and other places that SW types are likely to go to.

I'm going to need as much help as you're willing to put into it. But I think we can make it a huge event. Door prizes, trivia, costume contests, etc. Maybe a skit or parade of people from the 501st, all kinds of stuff.

So get creative, and let's start brainstorming!!!

2. darth-jar

darth-jar Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2000
    Hey all,

You have my full support for the Continental party(even though I have failed to make all the meetings up to this post...sorry [face_blush] ). We need to arrange how to get tickets from the Continental for the midnite showing. To go to this party and not have tickets would be pretty lame. What you have said in the plans would require some extreme contacts within the Theater. When the movie comes out, I project that I will be unemployed due to my boss moving his business to New York and all. I would be willing to sit in line to get tickets for those people that cannot be in line due to work, distance(Colorado Springs, Fort Collins), medical or family obligation. I am a beleiver that if you want a ticket, you must do some time in the line. That is what I requested from some of my friends who just wanted to sit at home while I froze and got them tickets. So they kept me company for a few hours at a time.

Sorry for the small rant. I support you and when I come up with somthing, I'll post it.

(Just got DSL, so I'll be around more often..I hope)

3. Faceplant

Faceplant Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2000
    I can't speak for the local 501'st Garrison, but the talk is splitting up into CS and Denver detachments and working theaters in both cities. I am not sure which theaters though. OW, you've met the local captain, Lionel. Mail me and I will get you his address. Perhaps you guys can coodinate something.

4. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I'll help, I've made a promise to myself and two others that I shall drive up to Denver for the premiere, but if we do something here in CS that'll be even better. Then I can bring two others.

Also if there are to be any in costume I can do that to. And a costume contest would be awsome! :D

5. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    DJ --I think we can buy the tix online much easier now than standing in line. That's what we all did for LOTR. But I do understand the idea behind line time. :)

Faceplant --could you PM me his address?

JGoC --Are you interested in making any costumes for those of us who are sewing impaired? ;) I'm planning on going in costume, and I'm not sure if I should go as my namesake, or as something completely different.

Do you all have any other ideas, thoughts? I think I have a DJ lined up. All I have to do is see if the theater had a stereo microphone connection and get a table for him, and he'll do it. :D

6. darth-jar

darth-jar Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2000
    Well, When TPM opened, online sales went through the roof, BUT the Continental did not offer TPM tickets online. They offered them for the rest of the movies they were showing at the time. They did that to be fair to the people that have been camping for a week to get tickets. I'm just saying thta we need to be prepared for just such a case.

7. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Well FP, it'll be a challenge and I don't know how much time I'll have until May (wait a minute, I'm a senior! I don't have to do school work any more ;) so I may have pleanty of time within my busy schedule) but if I can find the time I would love to make costumes for you guys! As long as it isn't one of those impossible Amidala outfits (that would be funny though if you did show up in one :p ). I would need a couple months to put it together, but with the new machine I got for christmas :D it should be a snap!

8. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    If I'm still alive during Episode III, i'll dress up, but I won't be in costume for EpII, lol. But i am going to see everyone that IS!

9. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    JGOC --what type of costumes can cou do? I'm still debating between a Jedi (similar to Anakin's in EP2), or doing an Imperial Officer (I love those hats, I will want one), or if I should go full on to the Biker Scout.

But cost is unfortunately a factor. How much do you think an Imp Officer would run? Also --are the green ones better than black --seems like they'll show up in pictures better.

10. Faceplant

Faceplant Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2000
    Dude go with the black. The green ones look great in dim light. The black looks good always.

11. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Cool. I assume it's pretty easy --jump suit, hat and the rank insignia. And a blaster. Gots to have da blaster.

Know any good links for the jumpsuit?

12. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Well, for everyone else, just so they know, I do Imperial officer hats, princess Leia costumes, Jedi Costumes, and I could probably do some of the simpler costumes. (I could even do a convincing Han or Luke) However I know that I wouldn't even think of trying one of Amidala's just yet, and the Imperial officer's actuall tunic is very difficult to do.

FP are you dressing up? Doing the Biker scout thing? That would be cool, I'm gonna do Leia and then there's going to be Bill in his Officer Uniform and you in your armor! Anybody have some binders?

13. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    JGOC - Do you have a pattern for the Han & Luke costumes? I wanted to do a set for my nephews. They're about the same age, one blond and the other dark haired, I thought it would be perfect. I'm gonna try to find something to do the white jumpsuit from AOTC for my niece. Otherwise I'll just make them both Jedi costumes (I have a pattern for that).

-Jennifer

14. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Someone scanned the the first page of the official Luke and Leia ANH pattern for me. I can send that to you and then there are a couple good sites for finding more info.

Han Solo Tips

Umm that't the only one that I have immediatly right now.

15. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    If we do it as a benefit we can get a bunch more attention. I can help arrange something with the shelter I work for. Unless someone else has another idea.

We could charge like $10/head and donate the proceeds to the shelter, we might even be able to get some press out of it. It would also be a great way to get the theatre to comp the time & I'm sure TheForce.net would love the publicity too.

-Jennifer

16. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Good idea!

This could be a huge event! I can't wait. :D

17. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay, I'm at the shelter tonight. Do we want to see if they are interested or is there something else we want to do?

-Jennifer

18. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Go ahead and check, at least. It never hurts to get info.

19. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Hmm... Then I know for any activities we have planned, like maybe a costume contest, we could charge an enrollment fee for that too. (Do you all want me to plan a costume contest?)

BTW What is the name of this charity?

And it would be awsome if we invited local newspapers and TV. (I know this is a bit late, but maybe a celebrity?)

Oh and those who come in costume we could charge people to have pictures with us, and that is even more revenue for this charity.

We could ask stores to donate things that we could auction off, all kinds of stuff like that.

This is going to be great.

20. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Urban Peak is the name of the group that operates these shelters. JGOC - they recently opened one down your way as well. You can check out what they do by going to their website www.urbanpeak.org

They are a fantastic group and I thought it would hold with GL's youth focus (remember he did all of those charity showings for Children's Hospitals last time around).

They are very excited, I have a call in to their fund raising person today, so I should have some more info later in the week.

-Jennifer

21. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    I'm going to have to check these guys out... :)

22. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay, here's my details.

Urban Peak is interested.

The Developement Director wants to take a meeting to discuss it.

Let's set aside some time this Saturday to discuss logistics (who works on what and the like).

Maybe we can arrange for everyone who won't be there this weekend to be online and we can do a chat session (to get everyone involved)?

Arrange for at least 2 of us to meet with Kerry @ Urban Peak to explain our plans.

OW-Email me for response, I'm going to be swamped this week and this is my last chance to check the boards until this weekend.

-Jennifer
    jpeterson@jherzog.com

23. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay we sorted out some of our ideas and duties.

Tickets - done as a raffle type thing at the door (winner gets the best prize)

Costume Contest - done the same way

All proceeds will go to Urban Peak

501st - taking tickets @ the door and acting as "security," but mostly harassing rebels.

Duties-

Me - contacting Mile High Comics & Starland for sponsorship/support (& maybe a surprise guest, but I'm not promising anything yet).

Darth Hair - Getting the call out to the other SW websites out there.

Kitarusapien - Getting the time from the UA Continental and working out the logistics w/ the 501st.

Joseph Orion - Can you see if our new friend the artist might be interested in doing a showing at the theatre that night?

We need somebody will to do flyers that we can hang up in toy/collectible shops, comic stores, music stores, etc.

OW - will try to get TF.N to provide some kind of link on their frontpage for these parties so we can make up a banner and get the theatre to let us hang it under the SW banner.

We are open to more ideas and help. OW is out of commission until he can get his internet fixed and then he has to get back from Salt Lake. So for now pass things through me or Kitarusapien.

I am getting really excited about all of this now.

-Jennifer

24. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    I could probably whip up some flyers. How many, what do you want them to say and just how fancy do you want them?

I'll have to mail them to you guys up in Denver so that they can get hung up. Hehe, I doubt I'll be going up their for quite some time. (At least until May.) And I can hang some up here in the springs as well.

25. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    As Jen said, we're getting set to rock this boat! I'll be getting with the 501st and the Continental. Once we talk to the Urban Peak folks, we'll have a handle on what they'd like to see....besides lots of proceeds!!! On that note, we need some real nice pieces to raffle off....especially custom stuff. So go through your closets and, dare I say, your collectibles for a good cause. And if you are good with ("OOOoo,OOoo,OOooo....") hands and tools, then get to buildin' and lets raise the roof on this gig! Not to mention, lets light the fires with our own costumes, 'cause I'm gonna bend some corporate ears at the local stations for some motivating coverage. Finally, those creative would-be directors out there need to get their ideas together for some skits, and we should get some serious visuals and "word-up" up on the site soon, so we can get a lot attention flowing! Lets show the rest of the fans out there that Denver Fan Force is the "creme-de-la-creme" of the Star Wars universe! Fifteen minutes of fame, my butt! Lets give this town something to really talk up! OOOooorah!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.