main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The *Official* Art Challenge . . Has Been Reborn!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by TheBalinakaBaroness, May 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    KongZilla- You definitely rival Ralph...That's probably the alternative GL would pic if he were to ever make one.

Off to do mine! :)

2. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Hey everyone! I actually have <<drum roll>> 3 entries in this weeks Challenge (CRIME DOES PAY).

BUT....
    I'm going to wait to post them so they don't get lost in the shuffle. Everyone seems to still be in the previous Challenge. You know... the one I skipped... again! ;) And besides, you've all probably seen two of the three. :D

See ya in a few days!

3. obihahn

obihahn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2002
    Better late than never, so lo and behold, here come my other designs of "ANH Reimagined"...

The Gang minus Han

I didn't really finish all of them, but you get the idea; and unfortunately, there's no Han Redesign. :(

And I guess my "Farmboy" still looks to much like old Luke as we know him.

Well then, I'm heading home to see if "crime does pay"... :D

4. Jabachile

Sep 16, 2001
    Link didn't work :( Try copy and pasting the address into your post, same happens with me.

Mine's rather simple and silly. It's as if SW were set in NYC. I guess I'll do the other characters, but being as I haven't entered in a while this is a nice refreshment.

Here's what I entitled "Vayda":

www.angelfire.com/art/jabachile7/bnw/SWNYC.jpg

*Note the Galactic emblem necklace he has rather than a cross. I also thought that a cell phone and pager were necessary for his "Emperor" (cough**drug lord**cough) to contact him. ;)

5. KongZilla

KongZilla Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2001
    1000 Thanx for the compliments everyone. :)

Darth_Jerak - Samurai Vader is super creepy! Terrific!

Trooper666 - Snake Solo! Love it! Didn't Kurt Russell try out for Han Solo back in '76? Or was it Luke? In any case, love the concept. ..and I'll have to go to my local comic shop to see a little more of Madureira's work.

Madine - Super designs and excellent style as well. I wanna see more! :D

obihan - Very cool! Love Chewie and Vader! That tunic on Chewie... Classic! :)

Jabachile - Great idea! Vayda! LOL :D

6. Jabachile

Sep 16, 2001
    Kong- Thanks very much for the compliment, and yes, Kurt Russel tried out for Han back in the day. It was between him and Harrison, a very close call.

There's a great site that has info on auditions found here:

http://www.timewarptv.com/site/programs/Star_Wars_Screen_Tests/

Someone pointed out how (minus the terrible hair) great William Katt would've been for Luke:

[image=http://www.timewarptv.com/site/programs/Star_Wars_Screen_Tests/Image006.jpg]

Now tell me that guy doesn't look like Hayden!!

7. TheBalinakaBaroness

TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Heya folks!

Kongzilla - Your Star Wars Rethunk is incredible! Very inspiring. I love Obi-Wan. Looks mighty gritty - he's been through a few wars... I was trying to figure out a way to have Farmer Luke have some kind of coveralls without it looking dopey, and you have pulled it off terrifically. All of your characters are just great - very original. Love your work every week Kong!

Madine - Your Chewie and Jabba seems to be currently VERBOTEN! Hmmm. I'll check back later. Curse those Web Servers. ;)

Cheveyo - Can't wait to see your Crime Does Pay entries. Three? Very cool. I don't have a clue what I'm gonna do. I do know what I want to do for the following week after that - and I keep forgetting that it's not the next challenge! Oh the confusion for my poor little noggin' - ;)

Obihahn - Hey, no worries, mate. You aren't late. You're early in fact! This one lasts until the end of the 16th. All very great designs, all really creative! (And I think Luke is different enough!) I really like how you added the original character description. Clever.

Jabachile - Star Wars in NYC - what a fantastic idea! Makes me wish it were mine. ;) Nice drawing - very dark and seedy! And Oi - that is really some truly dreadful hair for Wiliam Katt. Ugh! :D

Thanks for the great entries everyone! Y'all are really knocking yourself out with this one. Some really creative solutions. Now I just need to do mine. I really have no excuses since I extended the deadline. Guess I better get on it! ;)

~Bar

8. Jabachile

Sep 16, 2001
    Yeah Bar, you're usually quicker than this!! ;)

What bugs me about my pic is this: his feet. I always seem to have trouble with foot perspective. I noted how good Kongzilla's Han feet looked (lol sounds so pathetic!), yet mine look terrible! Ach!

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Obihahn: Those were awesome! I especially like the Chewie and Vader. And the smile on Luke's face is great! I also like the way you followed Luca's descriptions and actaully included them with your drawings. :)

Jabachile: Neat design. The NYC idea works great! :)

10. Trev-Solo

Trev-Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2001
    I'll say this...before I read your post, I thought that was Hayden in a wig...

wowza...pretty crazy resembulance.

and I'd also like to say, KILLER work guys. I have a masked villian to post, that I drew up in about 10-15 minutes total. It's nothing good...but it's an idea...

I'll post it soon
    Trev

11. obihahn

Jul 10, 2002
    Thanks everybody for your compliments. :D
    I'm always glad when people like my stuff.
    Well, who isn't, huh? ;)

Madine: I still couldn't see your Han/Jabba entry. It keeps saying content blocked or something like that... :(

And yeah, thanks to the deadline extension, my entries still seemed kinda fast posted.
    Talking about fast posting:

here's my "Crime"-thingy already:

fastest entry ever...

btw: I redesigned my homepage a little, it's less chaotic now due to a few extra added subpages. But beware, the changes made some of my earlier posted links useless.

12. semicooke

semicooke Legacy Concept Artist star 1 VIP

Dec 1, 1998
    Yeah sorry guys, my at&t connection is down, which is where my website is, thus....no website. (till my check clears) :)

13. padawangrasshopper

padawangrasshopper Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2002
    Obiahn- Great job man on both your entries! Love that leg o' meat ol' Chewie is holding! Now HE looks like could tear the arms off a gundark! Also laughed out loud when I saw Boba the chic magnet! Great idea!

Jabachile- Cool Vayda. I guess he always was a "thug!" Vader listening to Cypress Hill, now there's a thought!

Everybody did a really cool job. Lotsa creativity flowing around here.

Here's my entry. I know it probably looks like it belongs in Lord of the Rings, but character design has never been my strong point, especially compared what I've here!

http://padawang.tripod.com

Looking forward to seeing what everyone's doing for the next challenge!

Pad G

14. obihahn

Jul 10, 2002
    hey pad g, whaddaya talkin' about?
    you think that character design never was your cup of tea?

well, think again, cause your Vader redesign definitely rocks!!! the helmet/mask design, the lightsaber, the gloss effects on his shiny armor...man, great job there. dude!

oh well, you know you're good, don't you? ;)

and does it look like it belongs in LOTR? I dunno, but I love the idea of LIGHTSABERS in Middle Earth..... :D

15. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    PadG-

Love it. :D

-Otis

16. Jabachile

Sep 16, 2001
    Awesome, Pad G! I see what you're sayin' about LOTR, but that compliments it even more!

Also note, anyone who's a fan of Kevin Smith (of just "Chasing Amy") will take Hooper-X's interpretation of SW into mind when viewing mine ;)

17. padawangrasshopper

Jul 14, 2002
    Thanks for all the very kind words everyone, I'm definitely blushing!

Obiahn- "oh well, you know you're good, don't you?" DEFINITELY NOT! But thanks anyway man, really appreciate it! :D Yeah, I REALLY don't think character design is my strong suit, but getting a thumbs up from you, with the stuff you came up with, as well as Jab and Otis, gives me a bit more confidence!

pad G

18. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
  19. obihahn

Jul 10, 2002
    Cheveyo: wow, just wow.
    I love the way you even put maximum detail in your backgrounds, especially in your first two ones.
    What's going on in the third? Mara Jade spying on Bib Fortuna and Luke?

Pad G: what did you use for coloring?
    Tell me all your secrets! ;)

20. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Obihahn - love your Crime Does Pay entry! pretty funny. The *smile* bubble is the perfect finishing touch. :)

PadG - first you say you don't know how to color very well in photoshop, now you say character design isn't a strong point? You, sir, are a big liar! ;) Such an incredibly cool "masked villian". He's scarier than the real Vader. I love the organic armour. I can see it working in both Star Wars and LOTR - I don't think the designs of both film "worlds" are necessarily mutually exclusive.

Cheveyo - Beautiful work, as always. I love your detail, the soft color accents, and of course, your magic touch with the graphite. I hadn't seen the Spying on Spies before. Great idea and nice drama!

well. ok. here is my entry. I guess I should get all my disclaimers out of the way! Farmboy there ended up looking like a Cabin Boy! Not my intent. Oops. Come to think of it, I really don't like anything about that drawing. Moving in.... I like how the Princess turned out though! I was going to do the Smuggler standing on the other side of her, that's why she's kind of irked lookin', but uh... didn't finish it, and I've decided I would like to go to sleep now. :D

Here 'tis:
    [link=http://members.telocity.com/bumble/farmboy_princess.gif]the farmboy and the princess[/link]

I'm a little sad I ran out of time to color them - I just got Photoshop 7 today, and I really want to play with it! :)

~Baroness
    *yawn*

21. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    The Baroness Rules.

Now, on to MY entry . .

Another week gone, and I find myself out of time once again. I feel bad, as this topic was MY idea. But my career as an artist has taken off, of late (which is a good thing). So my time has been filled with all sorts of developement stuff and all that jazz.

That being said, I did manage to crank out something this morning for the Challenge. I broke my own rules a bit, but I had fun (and it took no time at all, which was really the point).

I approached this as if I was working for Lucasfilm in 1975 at the age of 2 and 1/2.

I call it . .

My Last Day At Lucasfilm

Enjoy. :D

-Otis

22. Trooper666

Trooper666 Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2002
    Here is my final two pics for the "A New Hope-Reimagined"
    I know vader's left arm is a bit long (had that pointed out at the last minute by my wife while scanning)
    But After SEVERAL redesigns of Luke and Leia, I finally settled on Luke being more cocky...maybe more like a teen of our decade instead of a whiner. FAST AND THE FURIOUS in a galaxy far far away, anyone?

http://www.geocities.com/bizarresmiley2002/photopagespiral.html

I also want to say, that I have absolutely enjoyed everyones entries and really love having a section here to shmooze with fellow artist.

23. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    hee hee... funny stuff Otis. Believe or not, I saw submissions not much better than this... :D [edit - at my old job.... didn't mean here at the Art Challenge...]

also, more great entries Trooper666! Like the drag-racin' Luke approach. Vader and Obi-Wan are pretty cool, too. So what's your plan? Do you wanna work in comics?

and just in case you people needed a reminder - the new topic (well, kinda old topic):

CRIME DOES PAY
    due August 23

There is a huge underbelly of seediness present in the Star Wars universe - Crime Lords, Gamblers, Smugglers, Bounty Hunters, Spice Dealers, Slavers, you name it. This is the pool from which to draw from for this week's Challenge. It could be from any of the movies, EU, or even an Original Character. Only stipulation - nothing Jedi, Sith, or Empire-related please.

Have fun!
    ~Baroness

24. padawangrasshopper

Jul 14, 2002
    Cheveyo- Great job man, as usual! Really like the environments you put the characters into. Forgive my ignorance, I don't know much about the expanded universe, but are the character designs your own? Either way, great job in drawing them! AND 3 entries AND ahead of schedule? What, trying to make the rest of us look lazy?!! :D

Obiahn- I just use the good ol' color swatches found in Photoshop, or more specifically Photoshop 6. Not cool enough to have 7 like some others! Speaking of which...

Baroness- So, you weren't satisfied with just being an extremely awesome artsit, you had go and be cool and get Photoshop 7! Fine! I hereby expell thee from the losers club! :D hehheh, jus' kiddin'! But seriously folks, as always, I love what you came up with. I'm curious, what's your professional background? You mentioned you're going the freelance route now, but did you work for any animation studios before? Your work just rocks!

Otis- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You're freakin' hilarious man! I would have extended your contract for all three episodes!

Trooper- Awesome drawings, AGAIN! Love the attitude of Luke and the designs for Vader and Ben look really cool!

Pad G

25. padawangrasshopper

Jul 14, 2002
    Cheveyo- Great job man, as usual! Really like the environments you put the characters into. Forgive my ignorance, I don't know much about the expanded universe, but are the character designs your own? Either way, great job in drawing them! AND 3 entries AND ahead of schedule? What, trying to make the rest of us look lazy?!! :D

Obiahn- I just use the good ol' color swatches found in Photoshop, or more specifically Photoshop 6. Not cool enough to have 7 like some others! Speaking of which...

Baroness- So, you weren't satisfied with just being an extremely awesome artsit, you had go and be cool and get Photoshop 7! Fine! I hereby expell thee from the losers club! :D hehheh, jus' kiddin'! But seriously folks, as always, I love what you came up with. I'm curious, what's your professional background? You mentioned you're going the freelance route now, but did you work for any animation studios before? Your work just rocks!

Otis- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You're freakin' hilarious man! I would have extended your contract for all three episodes!

Trooper- Awesome drawings, AGAIN! Love the attitude of Luke and the designs for Vader and Ben look really cool!

Pad G

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.