main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The *Official* Art Challenge . . Has Been Reborn!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by TheBalinakaBaroness, May 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Thanks everyone. :D PadG, to answer your question: Yep, all three of these pictures contain all-original characters. The two pin-up style shots are of rolepllaying characters back in the day (originally drawn back in '97... and the Spy piece is brand spakni' new! It's a shame SW Gamer MAgazine is kaput... I would like to have tried to get work there. Bummer.

2. TheBalinakaBaroness

TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Hey, thanks PadG! I'm afraid you can't expel me, I've got a lifetime membership in the Loser's club! ;) It goes with the overwhelming compulsion to hate everything I draw.

To answer your background question - never worked at an animation studio, well, a real one anyway. I worked in Educational Software, with animators, and did some animation, but not much. Sometimes I think I might like to work at Disney or Pixar or somewhere like that, but I'm really liking this illustration thing. I'd like it even better if I got paid for it! ;)

~Baroness

3. Corran_Katarn

Corran_Katarn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2001
    It's funny you should say you'd like to work at Disney Baroness because everytime I see your art (the best on this board if I do say so myself) i think of how Disney-ish you draw. I think you should try.

4. obihahn

obihahn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2002
    hey Baroness, do you know what I thought when I saw your awesome (how can you hate them by yourself ...?!?) Farmboy/Princess designs:

"Who's the pretty girl next to Guybrush Threepwood?" ;)

And you should definitely try your luck over at Disney's. If they don't want you there then I don't know what their problem could be!

5. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    thanks Corran_Katarn and obihahn!

Regarding the whole Disney thing, thanks for the vote of confidence. I don't know if I would actuallly like it there. (besides the fact they keep laying people off, and I'm not terribly fond of So. Calif.) I don't want to be an animator. I would hate doing just backgrounds all day long, so that nixes layout. I don't think I'm clever enough to be a storyboarder. Concept would be fun though. Basically, I think I would have a hard time working somewhere so big and compartmentalized. I like to do a little of everything, which is why I think Children's Books are perfect for me. But never say never. Who knows what the future holds, eh?

<<how can you hate them by yourself>>

really easily. since I drew them, I can see all the flaws. like the princess - her neck is all wacky. it needs to be slightly shifted to the left. The curl on the left side makes a bad tangent with her collar. Her left arm - the one on the right side, is too long. Should have added a little cuff to the sleeve. The hand against her hip is a little weird. And this is a drawing I don't hate so much!

<<Who's the pretty girl next to Guybrush Threepwood>> ha ha! I thought the exact same thing! but of course, didn't bother starting over... ;)

hmmm. and now I have no clue what to do for this week's topic. any suggestions? anyone? bueller? I'll be taking requests here at the piano for the next little while. :)

~Baroness

6. Yoc

Yoc Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2002
    How about a sort of "Ode to the Destroyed", where we would draw our favorite characters from Star Wars (in the movies or EU), that "didn't quite make it"? Such as K-3PO, who was smashed apart during the imperial invasion on Hoth? :)

7. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Oh, I meant me personally. This week's topic is Crime Does Pay - I just don't have any particular ideas about what I want to draw.

I'll keep your idea in mind for a future topic though, thanks!
    ~Baroness

8. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Hmmm Crime Does Pay? Strange topic. Ah well, what are you going to draw for it TheBalinakaBaroness, Its a strange topic. Oh yes I forgot I've been on holiday for 2 weeks! :D

9. Trooper666

Trooper666 Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2002
    Baroness,
    Here's an idea?
    I'm gonna try a "VH1 behid the music" kind of approach, like lucas did with R2 on Starwars.com for my "Crime does pay"....there sure are lots of villains in the SWU to chose from...ME, I got dibs on IG88, sure he's dead...but he's a droid and if Threepeeo can make a come back after being blasted apart, any droid can... :)

BTW Baroness, if you remember the old "DRAGON'S LAIR" cartoon, that Don Bluth did? your style reminds me alot of that series.

And yes, I'd love to get a job in comics...im currently attempting to submit to the Dark Horse Comic Strip contest "STRIP SEARCH" online. It's open to everyone one.

10. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Hmm I can't think of anything to do this week so I am not going to. :(

11. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Ohhh, there's a veritable cornucopia of subjects to choose from in this week's challenge! you've got your bounty hunters, your smugglers, your tramp freighters, your really super evil villain dudes and dudettes ;) ... the list goes on and on.

12. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Trooper - Dragon's Lair? Never seen it. I'll have to check it out... Your stuff looks perfect for comics. Good luck with the contest! Do you think Dark Horse would like a comic about a cute little Bumble Bee Girl? ;) Or a Bunny? :D

Thanks all for the suggestions. I've been struck with inspiration, and finally have my idea. Now the trick is to see if I actually get it done! :D A hint: it has to do with Jabba.....

toodles,
    Bar

13. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    These aren't entries, because they're aren't new (over a year old now), but I figured I'd go ahead and post links to them here since they sort of go along with this week's theme. ;) For you older forum residents, these were linked in my Malastarian Spaghetti Sci-Fi's thread, but all those links are now dead. Enjoy!

Mos Espa Corral
    For a Few Credits More
    Outlaws

14. obihahn

Jul 10, 2002
    heh, welcome back ODJ, and c'mon, there's gotta be something you can come up with.

as cheveyo said it: there's so much stuff to draw from! why don't you give it a try? :)

15. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Ah well I might give it a go, now I come to think of it I have a funny idea. he he he

16. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Hey Sebulba-X! Those are pretty funny. I really like Lando in the Mos Eisley corral and the teeeny tiny George in the background. ;) Silly stuff - though Tarkin does make a great villian in a black hat. :D

-Bar

17. obihahn

Jul 10, 2002
    I've just finished another entry for this week's non-competitive competition.

Another Mandalorian, Jango this time.
    Looks like I have a little too much spare time, ( ;) ) since I'm already thinking of a third, non-mandalorian/Fett piece...

Just scroll down from the first pic you see on this page:
    Jango from beneath

18. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Ah well here is my entry for this week, its not that amazing, but I tried as obihahn said. My funny idea diden't work out so I just drew Jango. (click and drag to address bar)

[image=http://www.geocities.com/odj_310388/Jango.JPG]

19. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Is my picture that bad that it killed the thread? :(

20. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    I've updated my picture with colour, its my first time colouring on the comp so its not that good.

[image=http://www.geocities.com/odj_310388/Jango_wc.JPG]

Click and drag.
    The site will be up in a hour.

21. Trooper666

Jul 22, 2002
  22. Trooper666

Jul 22, 2002
    Finally got mine up...guess im starting to run behind too :)

incase you cannot read the typing on the pic." IG-88, one of the galaxies most ruthless bounty hunters, after being dispatched by Dash Rendar, has been vacationing on the sunny planet of Tatooine, drinking Margaritas and lounging on the endless beach. Sometimes, crime does pay!"

http://www.geocities.com/bizarresmiley2002/ CRIMEDOESPAY.html

hope you guys enjoy :)

23. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Its to small to make out, can you try and increase the size, then I will make a good comment about it.

24. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    If the pics I posted before don't work try
    [image=http://www.mikedingleyjones.btinternet.co.uk/jango.JPG]
    [image=http://www.mikedingleyjones.btinternet.co.uk/jangowc.JPG]

25. KongZilla

KongZilla Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.