main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The *Official* Art Challenge . . Has Been Reborn!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by TheBalinakaBaroness, May 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBalinakaBaroness

TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Hey folks. No, I'm not ignoring the Art Challenge - been having some big ol' stinky computer traumas for the past few days and am finally back online. Anyway, so I didn't manage to get my entry done. Too bad though, I kinda liked my idea. I was going to draw Jabba's Souvenier Hut! Made it out of Jabba's Palace with your life, and now you'd like to remember your trip with an inexpensive knick knack? The "Hut" is stocked with great crap, like Jabba Bobble Heads, cute and fluffy stuffed Gamorreans (dolls, not heads on a plaque), twi'lek dancer girl speeder flaps, sarlacc hand puppets, Jabba's Palace Sand Globes, big giant jabba head balloons, Bounty Hunter calendars, rancor jerky - a spicy chewy treat!, and t-shirts with such clever captions as: "My parents were thrown into Jabba's Dungeon and all I got was this lousy T-shirt!" Oh, I could go on and on. All this supervised by one Bib Fortuna, in rainbow suspenders and big funny hat.

Anyway. Moving on!

obihahn - nice Jango - great idea having him burst in through the floor!

obj_310388 - another fine Jango!

trooper666 - you crack me up! love the tropical IG-88.

kongzilla - once again you slay me. funny stuff! love it.

And now it's that time - this week's Challenge!

[b][color=blue]EPISODE +/- X[/color]
    due August 30 [/b]

For the sake of this exercise, let's mark the birth of Luke and Leia as the Meridian of Time - the Year 0. This week's challenge, then, is to pick a character (or characters) and conjecture what they would look like 50 years after Year 0, or 50 years before. Basically, the Episode 1 characters a lot younger, or the Original Trilogy characters much older.

Does this make sense? I hope this isn't too dumb of a topic....

~Bar

2. semicooke

semicooke Legacy Concept Artist star 1 VIP

Dec 1, 1998
  3. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Hm so did I get this right TheBalinakaBaroness if I wanted to draw someone from EP1,2 draw them young, but from EP4,5,6 older?

4. Leela

Leela Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Darn. I have a Han/Luke/Leia I did for school last semester (High Distinction thankyouverymuch :D ) that would have been perfect! I painted them at the their NJO ages. Which is maybe a fraction under the 50yr requirement, but what the hey ;)
    But I can't scan it! :( *kicks computer*

This is so frustrating!! I really want to participate in these.

May those who create computer viruses be forever afflicted with nasty, annoying, incurable skin complaints of the gentital area! :mad:

5. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Oh, good! One I can do! :)

Couldn't it be a prequel character a lot older? :)

6. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    madine - just breathtaking. that is a beautiful painting of talon! such a great face.

odj_310388 -
    if I wanted to draw someone from EP1,2 draw them young, but from EP4,5,6 older?
    yup. 'tis correct. though a "younger" padme and anakin might not work.... ;)

Leela - High Distinction? Congrats! And curses to your computer, cause I really want to see your painting! So how long until that friend of yours gets your new system hooked up??? ;)
    I painted them at the their NJO ages. Which is maybe a fraction under the 50yr requirement
    's okay. the +/- 50 years is just a loose suggestion. NJO falls pretty close into that range and fine by me.

JediGaladriel -
    Couldn't it be a prequel character a lot older?
    Sure! Love to see what you come up with.

The opposite is also true. If an OT character would've been around 50 years before L & L were born, you can do that as well. The 50 years is just a suggestion of course. No loss of points for a looser interpretation of the assignment! :)

I hope I get to mine this week. I have an idea.... [face_devil]
    ~Baroness

7. Darth yo moma

Darth yo moma Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 1999
    I'm going to do a lightside Dooku with a young qui-gon, so booyah.

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Great topic! I can finally have an entry for this week! :D I did Luke and Han a few weeks ago when my friends requested it.

So...I will have them up soon! :)

9. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
  10. Venardhi

Venardhi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    Uhhh. . . who is that?

11. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    It's Padme at 80-something. Hmmm. Guess it's back to the drawing board (so to speak). I guess I was counting too heavily on the Naboo location and the unaltered eyes. :(

(Suggestions? As it is, I just took a photo of NP and aged it by adding some wrinkles and age spots.)

12. Venardhi

Venardhi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    Wrinkled her too much I think. Padme was the only one that came to mind, but It just doesnt look like her all that much. . . I think you should go with softer lines, look online for some old people faces to study, I see the skill, just needs some tuneing. =)

13. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    I turned up the contrast on the wrinkles because I didn't think they were prominent enough, or that it had changed her face enough. Hmmmm. I thought about toning it down (Lord knows that my 80-something grandmother could still pass for 60-something) but I wanted to go for a look like she'd spent a lot of those years rather badly. I'll try turning down the contrast on the wrinkling.

14. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Hey JediGaladriel - nice concept for your entry. I'd have to agree with the critique. I think it's mostly the wrinkles on her cheeks that are a bit much. I hope you do some more - i always like your concepts/compositions.

So anyone else working on entries for this week? I think I'm going to go work on mine. Since I was such a flake last week, figure I better get to it early!

~Bar

15. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Hey Baroness . .

How far along did you get on last week's entry? It sounds cool! :D

BTW . . mesa back!

-Otis

16. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    welcome back otis!

when i say flake, I do not exaggerate. it got as far as it being formed in my little noggin' and I wrote it down for y'all. no pencil to paper action occured. though I could describe it in excrutiating detail for ya! ;)

i'll spare y'all though.
    but i do swear on the seven blue hells that i will finish my entry for this week.

~bar

(seven blue hells? where did that come from?)

17. Leela

Leela Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    JediGaladriel, can I make a suggestion? And please feel free to totally ignore it if you wish...

What about using a real old lady's face (scan from a magazine or such) and putting Padme/Natalie's eyes into it?

It was just a thought. :)

18. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    Basically because I prefer to actually age the face of the person. If I did it badly, then I'll start from scratch (alas, I merged my layers in my work file, and it's not responding properly to lowering the contrast or softening). But just pasting NP's eyes on someone else's face isn't much fun, and would take about thirty seconds of work.

19. obihahn

obihahn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2002
    Hey everybody,

this may sound strange, but this weeks topic, EP +/-X is the hardest since I participated, at least imho. I have 100% no idea whom to age.
    My head's content rotates 24/7. Okay, so I don't take it that serious, but you get the idea.

But not your problem... ;)

By the way, what's up with this board, I could only make a reply in NetscapeNavigator, the MS InternetExplorer doesn't show the board in its proper configs (header/pics missing etc)? It worked with the Explorer before...

Before I forget it: great entries everyone, i especially liked Madine's "Talon" for it being so different and nicely done! :)

20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    So anyone else working on entries for this week?

Yup, Bar...I'm working on my entry for this week! :D Slowly...but surely...since I just started school today. Plus,I have to work around band...but I WILL get it done. I have tons of ideas going...all I have to do is put them on paper. I should have it up on Thursday...Friday at the latest. :)

21. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Alrighty. I did it. I feel like this must be the earliest I have ever finished an Art Challenge entry! (Tuesday night for me.) Some ugly bits, but at least it's done.

My entry this week is of one young Palpatine. I didn't bother with trying for a likeness, I went more for Attitude. I imagined that lil' Palpy went to some kind of snobby prep school on Naboo as a kid, and as all evil genius' have, he had his own secret spot to go and contemplate taking over the galaxy...

hope this isn't too... um... creepy for ya. :D

palpy

Sweet dreams!
    ~Baroness

22. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Wooo spine chilling!

23. obihahn

obihahn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2002
    Very cool, Bar, I'd have hated/feared him in school back on Naboo...

A Jedi voodoo doll there, right? Hilarious! :D

But I also see the teacher just taking it away from him, along with the match.
    "No fire in school, Palpy!" - "But Miss Golrak! I didn't do nothing bad!" ;)

Still no idea myself... :(

24. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Baroness . .

. . you're amazing.

Sincerely,

A Fan

25. KongZilla

KongZilla Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2001
    What a rotten little cuss that Palpatine was.

Beautiful work BB! Love it!

From the sneer on his despicable countenance to the little Yoda Voodoo doll.

Sorry, thesaurus dot com.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.