Arena The Official ATP Discussion Thread - now discussing the U.S. Open

Discussion in 'Community' started by Anakin_Heartbreaker, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Hi everyone! :)

The 2008 season is about to rock the tennis world, and this thread will be closely following every major story and event that will highlight the upcoming season. As long as I am on the boards, I will be updating with all the latest happenings from the circuit, and will try to provide as much information as I possibly can. [face_peace]

The first thing I would like to share is the official calender for the season. I have provided the dates, venues, draw size and surface, and this post can be used as a reference for the rest of the year.

DEC 31
    Doha Qatar ExxonMobil Open Hard Court 32
    Chennai Chennai Open Hard Court 32
    Adelaide Next Generation Adelaide International Hard Court 32

JAN 7
    Sydney Medibank International Hard Court 32
    Auckland Heineken Open Hard Court 32

JAN 14
    Melbourne AUSTRALIAN OPEN Hard Court 128 GRAND SLAM

JAN 28
    Viña del Mar Movistar Open Clay Court 32

FEB 4
    Davis Cup First Round

FEB 11
    Costa do Sauipe Brasil Open Clay Court 32
    Delray Beach Delray Beach International Tennis Championships Hard Court 32
    Marseille Marseille Open Indoor Hard Court 32

FEB 18
    Rotterdam ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament Indoor Hard Court 32
    Buenos Aires Copa Telmex Clay Court 32
    San Jose SAP Open Indoor Hard Court 32

FEB 25
    Acapulco Abierto Mexicano Telcel Clay Court 32
    Memphis Regions Morgan Keegan Championships Indoor Hard Court 32
    Zagreb PBZ Zagreb Indoors Indoor Carpet 32

MAR 3
    Dubai The Dubai Tennis Championships Hard Court 32
    Las Vegas Tennis Channel Open Hard Court 32

MAR 10
    ATP Masters Series Indian Wells Pacific Life Open Hard Court 96

MAR 24
    ATP Masters Series Miami Sony Ericsson Open Hard Court 96

APR 7
    Davis Cup Quarterfinal

APR 14
    Valencia Open de Tenis Comunidad Valenciana Clay Court 32
    Houston US Men?s Clay Court Championships Clay Court 32
    Estoril Estoril Open Clay Court 32

APR 21
    ATP Masters Series Monte-Carlo Masters Series Monte-Carlo Clay Court 56

APR 28
    Barcelona Open Sabadell Atlantico Clay Court 56
    Munich BMW Open Clay Court 32

MAY 5
    ATP Masters Series Rome Campionati BNL d?Italia Clay Court 56

MAY 12
    ATP Masters Series Hamburg Hamburg Clay Court 56

MAY 19
    Düsseldorf ARAG ATP World Team Championship Clay Court 8 teams
    Poertschach The Hypo Group Tennis International 2008 Clay Court 32
    Casablanca Grand Prix Hassan II Clay Court 32

MAY 26
    Paris FRENCH OPEN Clay Court 128 GRAND SLAM

JUNE 9
    Halle Gerry Weber Open Grass Court 32
    London The Artois Championships Grass Court 56
    Sopot Orange Prokom Open [b/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>
  2. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    Some good things to look forward to this year - the new Australian Open surface (Lleyton has no more excuses now), as well as Federer challenging for Sampras' record. And the Olympics Tennis should be interesting (although not ATP)
  3. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    the new Australian surface will be ineresting. It wil be excitin who the next big breaktrough player will be.
  4. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm still waiting for Gael Monfils to show up. :p
  5. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    The big question for this year is. Will Roger Federer break Sampras? record of 14 Grand Slams this year? :confused: Or at least equal it? The first step in answering that question will come on the new surface that has been laid down at Melbourne Park. The new plexicushion surface has replaced the traditional rebound ace that was manufactured and exclusively laid down on Australian Hard Courts.

There were several factors that led to this staggering move. The first was the problem that rebound ace creates when it gets hot. The synthetic rubber used, similar to that of car tyres had an unusually high capacity to absorb and conduct heat. Several times the courts were referred to as cauldrons, where the temperature would notoriously hit and more than occasionally go over what was the limit, and heat breaks were taken. The other problem that the surface created was that it got ridiculously sticky, and injuries to ankles and other ligaments was getting increasingly common, especially when players had to rapidly change directions. The final factor that led to the change was the surface speed, height of bounce that did not suit the Australian players, particularly Lleyton Hewitt, who had continuously expressed his thoughts, stating the surface should be favorable to the country?s players.

This has lead to the staggering change, and the new plexicushion surface. The aim was to speed up the courts from medium pace, to fast-medium, and with lower bounces. Even the actual color of the surface is now true blue. The court itself is a slightly darker shade of blue than the surroundings.

The interesting thing is the feedback that has come from the players, especially those that played during the wild card playoffs, and those that are playing the Hopman Cup in Perth. The surface is said to be slower with a higher bounce than the rebound ace from last year. Examples have been made to sandpaper. The organizers have stressed multiple times that this is the case with all surfaces, and within a few weeks the surface would have been worn down and speed up. I don?t know if this is possible, considering the Grand Slam is upon us. We?ll just have to see.

Federer has expressed a keen interest in the surface, and I?m sure will be getting a lot of practice done even before the Kooyong exhibition begins.

Tomorrow the season officially begins!!!!! :D

Hewitt has begun his bid in his home town of Adelaide, where he was the champion in 1998 and 2000, but has not been given a favorable draw. While in Chennai, Nadal has been given a very easy draw into the final. Doha, the biggest of the three has more of the top players, including Davydenko and Murray.

Which players will make their mark this year? Should be fun to see! :)
  6. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Hewitt continues to express his disapointment in the new plexicushion surface at Melbourne Park. The organizers have now stated that the surface is already faster than the one that he beat Federer on in 2003 Davis Cup semi final, and the 2004 Australian Open.

7. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    I'm getting really sick of Lleyton's continual excuses for poor performances. Coupled with the extreme lack of depth on both male and female for Australian Tennis means I, and a lot of other people, aren't as interested in Tennis as we used to be.
  8. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Lleyton?s continual frustration filled outbursts is not going to make him any new friends. He just has to now focus on the task at hand.

Baghdatis becomes the first major casualty of the season, losing his opening round match in Chennai. The charismatic Cypriot has struggled to find the sensational form that took him to the final in Australia two years ago, and he continues to disappoint.

Ljubicic successfully opened up the defense of his Doha title yesterday. This is really a critical point in his career, he has really underperformed on the big stages and his recent form is showing that he is starting to decline.

Hewitt lead the top seeds to wins in Adelaide in blistering conditions.
  9. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Just finished watching the Nadal first round match in Chennai. He looked a lot more aggressive than normal, as a result he commited more unforced errors. However, it took him seven match points to win against a player ranked 123 in the world.

He stated that his knees are holding up on the surface. I'll be watching his progress with great interest. :D
  10. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Murray has started the year as impressive as last year in Doha, Qatar. He defeated the diminutive Belgium player Rochus with the loss of just two games. Murray was a finalist last year, defeating Davydenko in the semis before falling to Ivan.

Calleri causes the bigesst upset in that tournament, beating Robredo the second seed.
  11. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    WHOA!!!! :eek: What is going on with Murray? He loses the first set against Rainer 6-1, then proceeds to win the next two sets 6-0, 6-1. He has such an abundance of talent, that I could talk about it for hours, but his biggest weakness is his incredible ability to lose focus and cripple his game into something outside the top 100.

12. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    I never understand when a match goes like that.I mean I never play in matches like that.
  13. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    LOL!!!

In the meantime, Hewitt continues to be the most outspoken person this year on the tour. As it is known, there is the heat rule at the Australian Open, stating that if the temperture goes up to a certain limit, there would be a heat break. Well, in Adelaide, that rule does NOT exist, and the players have had to face the heat in more ways than one.

A lot of them requested that the rule be applied, to which Hewitt said that they are athletes and should deal with conditions, it is best of three. If they can't cope with that, then they should find another job! :eek:
  14. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Hewitt goes out in the quarters to Tsonga 6-4, 6-2.

Federer has arrived in Australia in order to prepare for the new surface, which has been highly criticised as being slow. Will he be walking away with Grand Slam number 13? :confused:
  15. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Tsonga will be good this year
  16. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll certainly be looking out for him in the Grand Slams this year. Last season he proved to be a really tough competitor, and it'll be nice to see if a Frenchman can gain a lot of power this year.

Like I said before, I'm still waiting for Gael Monfils to show up, though I'm doubting it more and more.
  17. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    It will be interesting to see what Tsonga can do this year, along with several other young guns that have yet to make an impression. Last year, it was really only Djokovic who broke away from the pack to challenge the Federer-Nadal dynasty. Murray, could have been there as well, had it not been for his injury.

Speaking of Murray, he has won his fourth career title in Doha, and in his first attempt since parting ways with Brad Gilbert.

However, today Chennai was rocking!!!!!!! The most electrifying match of season so far between Moya and Nadal was the longest match in the history of the tournament. It was also the first match in that had all tie break sets. Nadal winnning 6-7, 7-6, 7-6 in just under four hours!!!!! Some of the rallies were sensational, and Moya's forehand for most of the night was at its most deadliest.
  18. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Monfils is very fun to watch especially at the French Open.

I'm going to predict Youzhny over Nadal in a woodshed beating
  19. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    It will be interesting to see if Nadal can bounce back after that epoc four hour match.
  20. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Youzhny stuns Nadal 6-0, 6-1 to win the Chennai Open, in less than an hour. This was Rafa's worst defeat, in terms of games won. He now drops to 23-7 in finals and 5-4 in hard court finals.

Misha picks up his fourth career title.

Llodra wins his second career title, winning in Adelaide.
  21. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
  22. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_laugh] It was indeed that!
  23. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Federer has withdrawn from the Kooyong exhibition due to a serious stomach bug he picked up. Doctors have told him to rest, and he will be fully healthy by Wednesday.

A lot of talk is now going on about the fitness of Rafael Nadal. While it was quite apparent that he was exhausted after the 4 hour epic with Moya to play Youzhny, and I saw both matches, some are saying that first week back he should not have fallen that badly. We'll have to see what happens at the Open.

And Blake gets undone in the defense of his Sydney title at the first hurdle, at the hands of the wizard Santoro. The two time defending champion blamed the small off season he had, saying he did not have enough time to recover.
  24. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay, this is not really ATP. But I had to get this in! :p

Have any of you seen Lleyton Hewitt's sister's recent picture?!!! She has officially entered professional bodybuilding after only six months from taking up the sport!!!! :eek:

She's ripped!
  25. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    Yeah, I've seen those. The transformation is amazing.