Arena The Official ATP Discussion Thread - now discussing the U.S. Open

Discussion in 'Community' started by Anakin_Heartbreaker, Dec 28, 2007.

1. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Monte Carlo semifinals:

Nadal def Ljubicic 6-1 6-3
    Murray def Gil 6-2 6-1
    Ferrer def Troicki 6-3 6-3
    Melzer def Federer 6-4 6-4

Federer dumped out by an improved Melzer. Ferrer keeps torching on the clay and Murray looks very sharp.
  2. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Here's an interesting question I will open to the floor. If you could bring back one player from retirement and transplant them into today's tour who would it be? (the player would be in their prime when transplanted in)

I have an answer but I want to see other opinions first
  3. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    My initial reaction is Sampras. I need to do some more thinking about it, though. It's an intriguing question.
  4. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Sampras would be most interesting. I think he would have been able to handle Federer relatively well at his best, but differently than Nadal. Nadal seems to have been born specifically to counter Federer, but Sampras possesses his own abilities to help neutralize some of Federer's best attributes. He came in to the net a lot and of course had his terrific serve. Neither is something Nadal is inherently known for.

I'd like to see a Sampras vs. Nadal match, now that I think about it. Sampras would not offer the same vulnerabilities that Federer does.
  5. tom Chosen One

star 6
    for me mccenroe. i have no idea how successful he'd be but he'd be as entertaining as ever for sure. his personality and tantrums always overshadowed the fact that he was a true artist with a racket.
  6. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    He'd still be successful. He still is successful playing people much younger than him. His artistry would serve him well, and just like Nadal, he's a lefty.
  7. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    I would go with Gustavo Kuerten. Nadal is a clay warrior and is amazing. But this era on clay is not very strong. How many true clay courters are there in the game today? Ferrer is the only other one and he cannot beat Nadal on clay. Kuerten is the best clay courter in history outside of nadal and Borg. Injuries cut his career short but he was one of the games most tactically brilliant players, a wizard on clay. Never made it past the quarters of any other slam but won the french open 3 times. He and Nadal would have some absolute wars on clay. Kuerten also had the best one-handed backhand of all time.
  8. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    I can't fathom a better clay court master than Rafael Nadal. His near-bageling of Federer in 2008 rates as one of the great demolitions in sports history. That said, he's never really been challenged on clay. His one French Open loss came about because of injury, not because he was outplayed straight up.
  9. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    what a match yesterday. Federer def Lopez 7-6(13) 6-7(1) 7-6(7). Really good stuff.

Unfortunatley Del Potro just withdrew from Madrid right before his match with Nadal. I was looking forward to that match. Delpo had no signs of injury yesterday, killing Cilic 6-3 6-0.
  10. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Djokovic defeats Ferrer 6-4 4-6 6-3 to go to 30-0 on the season.

Madrid Semifinals:

Djokovic vs Bellucci(Bellucci finally find his game after playing poorly for most of the year thus far)
    Federer vs Nadal.
  11. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Nadal def Federer 5-7 6-1 6-3. Federer played good in the 1st set but was never going to win.

Beluuci was taken the 1st set vs Djokovic 6-4.
  12. tom Chosen One

star 6
    looks like bellucci is done. great effort though.
  13. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Belucci played great for a set and a half but Djokovic was too solid. Great week for the Brazilian. he had been having a bad year and I thought he was just going to slip away into the 40-70 range in the rankings. But he showed he can still do damage on the dirt. One thing he can improve is his backhand penetration. It sits up to much and its because of his transfer of weight.

Real blockbuster tomorrow. 31-0 Djokovic vs the unbeatable clay Nadal. What will give? It will be at 12:30 on ESPN3.com
  14. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Edit: Ongoing now, I see.
  15. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Djokovic wins. He's the gorilla that just climbed on Nadal's back. All that's left for him to conquer is the French Open. I still believe Nadal is virtually unbeatable there. Federer has beaten Nadal several times on clay, but has been demolished repeatedly against him at Roland Garros (almost bagled there in 2008).
  16. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    only Djokovic and Nadal can make a 2 setter last 2 hrs and 15 mins.:p

Djokovic dictated play throughout the match. That was one helluva backhand to set up the string of match points and the end. Even in Madrid Nadal could not win.

However Madrid's clay is the fastest clay on tour(its faster than the hard court at Miami). It's basically a hard court that they throw a little clay on just before the tournament. Rome is this week and its much slower(the slowest court on tour is Monte Carlo).

32-0 for Djokovic now. I expect his streak will end in Rome this week.
  17. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Your tennis knowledge never ceases to amaze. Where does Roland Garros rank in terms of court speed? Not that he isn't great in general, but at the French Open, Nadal is a wizard, usually in complete command.
  18. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    The French Open is fairly slow. Although players have complained that it has gotten faster over the years.(Conversely people are complaining that Wimbledeon is slowing down). Some tennis purists believe that the unique qualities of the different court surfaces are dissapearing and every is homogenizing.

Nadal has beat unbeatable at the French. One of the factors along with the court speed is the best of 5 format. Since Nadal has such good stamina it is hard to beat him. I still favor him at Roland Garros. Only an on fire Djokovic can beat him there. (I don't think Soderling,Murray,or even Federer can challenge him there. Maybe able to take a set but no more than that). Del Potro is a terrible matchup for Nadal and destroyed him at the US Open in 2009, but they have yet to face on clay.
  19. tom Chosen One

star 6
    djokovic stays undefeated, but what an incredible match between him and murray today.
  20. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Would you look at that: Another Nadal-Djokovic final. Will be interested in seeing this one, as always. Nadal had better take care that Djokovic doesn't become for him what Nadal is to Federer. Another final loss or two and Djokovic will be living well in Nadal's head.
  21. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    The ATP website put it nicely "The man who has forgotten how to lose". Murray played great but could not finish the deal.

I expect Nadal wo in today. Rome is slower clay and I think Nadal will be more ready. But there is the issue that he has lost to Nadal the last few times like you said KW. Nadal really needs this win today for momentum going into the French Open.
  22. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Right now, I think it would take someone like John McEnroe to really give Djokovic consistent problems. He's seeing things so well overall, and hitting the ball in ways few ever ever do in the short term, let alone consistently.
  23. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    It's official: Djokovic is parked in Nadal's head. I don't think he's going to be leaving anytime soon. Nadal has just one bastion left, that being Roland Garros. I wouldn't put much money on that right now.
  24. tom Chosen One

star 6
    i still like nadal in a five setter at roland garros, but just barely. djokovic is amazing.
  25. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    What kind of a match would Federer of 2004-05 give Djokovic?

If Djokovic clears Roland Garros unbeaten, I think he could be out in the open for some time. I don't see much stopping him at either Wimbledon or Flushing Meadows, other than Nadal. Djokovic would hurl the Federer of 2011 aside like a rag doll. The Federer of old would be a much different story, but now Federer is mostly just old.