Arena The Official ATP Discussion Thread - now discussing the U.S. Open

Discussion in 'Community' started by Anakin_Heartbreaker, Dec 28, 2007.

1. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    I just watched highlights of the 2007 final. You can see them here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd8mPKMhFww

Federer was still at his peak, and Nadal wasn't too far away from becoming the player we know him to be now. In many ways, the level of play there was as good as it would be a year later. It just had a different ending.
  2. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    It's two games all in the first set.

I like how Nadal holds something back on his serve much of the time, dialing it up when necessary.

Edit: Djokovic is starting to completely overpower Nadal. Have never seen this before.
  3. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Djokovic is scintillating right now. He's out Nadalling Nadal.
  4. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    All I can think of now for Djokovic is having to face Sampras at his peak or Federer at the zenith of his Wimbledon heights.

Sampras remains the greatest grass court player of them all to me. When Nadal missed that overhand shot early in the match today, I flashed back to Sampras missing that shot against Federer in their 2001 meeting at Wimbledon, a harbinger of things to come.
  5. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    You may have to add Nadal to your 'never seen dominated in a GS final like the French 2008'.

Though IIRC in that game Federer sprayed a lot, Nadal is not playing badly but Djokovic is just in the zone.
  6. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Well, I was thinking about that, and so far, I think Nadal still dominated Federer more than this. But, this is just one level below it, and the second set was on that level of complete domination.

I'm not a fan of Djokovic in general. Not nearly as artistic as Nadal, and not remotely as much so as Federer.
  7. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Well, fingers crossed this makes it more interesting.
  8. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    This is that extra set that they haven't had to play this year in their previous finals.

I found it interesting that Nadal went for that between the legs shot just now. If he starts having a little fun, I think that could help.

Edit: Ted Robinson said it best-- for 30 minutes, the real Nadal went away. Now he's back, and Djokovic had better be careful. Nadal will be at his throat in an almighty hurry if Djokovic allows it.
  9. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Well, I guess that's it.

Something about Djokovic bothers me. I'm not sure what it is. This match was somewhat interesting at times, but not in the same universe as either the 2007 or 2008 finals. Watching those was like watching true performance art.
  10. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Only was able to watch from 4-1 in the 2nd on(took me a while to find a sports bar in Perugia)

Very few expected Djokovic's 3rd major would come at Wimbledon. It seemed the least likely of all of them that he would win. Djokovic's incredible year continues. The reason Djokovic does not seem artistic is because he is the perfection of the modern baseline game. The game that so many players have these days. He is the modern player and his level is beyond anyone else's at the moment. A truly inspirational effort at the French from Federer was the only thing to stop him thus far this year.
  11. tom Chosen One

star 6
    it was a disappointing final, not only because i was rooting for nadal but because the moments where both players were playing at a high level were so few and far between. it seemed like we might just be getting there then nadal has that awful service game and just like that the match is over. i actually like djokovic, and i think his emergence this year is good for the game, i just wanted a better match.
  12. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'd agree, tom. It wasn't a great final, but a solid performance for Djokovic. Nadal had a great set, but couldn't carry it on in the 4th. He wasn't on his game mentally.
  13. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Have to ask if his foot slowed him down.
  14. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    That probably had something to do with it. It probably wasn't everything, though.
  15. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    We're only a year or two away from Federer's sunset title at Wimbledon. He'll get hot for two weeks and play a match or two at the highest level he's ever been at. He's going to win another championship at Wimbledon. You can mark that one down. It's just a matter of when. Rafael Nadal will win a French Open at the end of the line too.

Call it a Nicklaus title, after the Golden Bear got hot at the Masters in 1986 and blew away the field on the back nine to win that last green jacket when he was 46 (though his sixth place finish in 1998 at 58 may have been just as remarkable).

The crowd will go crazy for Federer, and he'll deliver one last shining moment.
  16. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Donald Young makes the semifinal of Washington. Great result for him, will move him to around 88 in the rankings.(was 128)
    Montreal and Cincinatti coming up now.
  17. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm really excited for the US Open. It doesn't have all the history of Wimbledon, but it's my second favorite slam.
  18. tom Chosen One

star 6
    it's probably my favorite, if only because it's actually on at a reasonable hour. :p
  19. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    True.

Monfills can't play well in finals, loosing in DC today.
  20. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    This is the opposite of the real situation. :p
  21. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
  22. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Murray's drive to win his 3rd straigth Canadian Masteres title goes down in flames. He loses 6-1 6-3 to Kevin Anderson in the 1st round. Shocking result. Murray is now 0-6 in sets this year ion North American hard courts. Lost in straights sets to Donald Young in Indian Wells and in straights to Bogomolov Jr in Miami.
  23. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Ivan Dodig of Croatia pulls a stunning upset over Nadal, 1-6 7-6(5) 7-6(5). Nadal's first match since Wimbledon. Dodig was made of steel in the big moments and pulled the upset. Dodig isn't super talented but you will not find another player who gives more effort. he leaves everything on the court, great for the game.

Bottom half wide open now with Murray and Nadal out.

edit: just saw the highlights. What a thumper of a backhand on match point for Dodig! Massive
  24. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    The big guns keep falling in Montreal. Federer loses to Tsonga 7-6 4-6 6-1

Quarters:

Djokovic vs Monfils
    Tsonga vs Almagro
    Fish vs Wawrinka
    Berdych vs Tipsarevic
  25. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'd say it's Djokovic's to loose, but considering how the other top seeds have been doing, that just might happen.