main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official ATP Discussion Thread - now discussing the U.S. Open

Discussion in 'Community' started by Anakin_Heartbreaker, Dec 28, 2007.

1. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Bahgdatis became the most succesful out of that bunch, the rest were flops the rest of the season.

2. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    There's something about Tsonga that begs to differ. Maybe it's his style that, in my opinion, sets him apart from the afore-mentioned finalists. He has the right game to compete as long as his body can take it. Losing the weight that he did certainly helps him in that aspect. I absolutely cannot wait to see him play at Roland Garros in front of his home country.

3. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Anakin_Heartbreaker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    In 2006 Bahgdatis only really backed up his Aus Open final with a semi final at Wimbledon. He didn't even make the Masters Cup.

At least in 2007 Gonzalez made the final eight, and even got that win over Federer. But even then, he did underperform for his standard for the rest of the year.

4. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    I think Tsonga has an incredible adundance of talent, and remember that this was only his fifth grand slam ever. So not bad at all. He looks strong, has great power, but also tremendous feel at the net, just ask Nadal.

I would like to see him in the top ten, and go deep week in week out in events.

5. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    What's his next tournamnet after davis Cup? Indian Wells?

6. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    He will have to play before then. I'm assuming that he will probably be in Las Vegas the week before.

The time between the Aus Open and Indian Wells is too big not to play in another event.

7. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Gonzalez wins Vina del Mar after Monaco walks over in the final.

8. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Now that is a big shame for Monaco. He was injured after his semi final win during the doubles match. It is the first walk over in a final for over 5 years. I remember Agassi was the last to win with a walk over in 2002 Madrid Masters.

9. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    It was interesting to see that Federer was the SuperBowl a few days ago. He was amongst the 70,000 in attendence.

Things don't look good for Great Britain, in their Davis Cup tie with Argentina on the red clay of Buenos Aires, with Andy Murray pulling out citing a knee injury. And with Nalbandian back on the practice courts again.

Djokovic was given a hero's welcome when he returned back to his motherland, Serbia. Thousands turned up in Belgrade to cheer on the country's first ever grand slam champ in both mens and womens tennis.

10. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    the USA takes a 2-0 lead over Austria

11. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    It's a shame for Djokovic and Serbia that he had to pull out against Davydenko in Moscow, despite claiming the first two sets, and having been at one point 3-0 in the third. The loss knocked them out of the Davis Cup.

Once Davydenko pulled that set back, Novak decided to call it a day, and not risk further health issues, after being infected with a virus. Novak has a history of health related issues, numerous times he has had to pull out of matches due to stamina, respirtory issues, as well as muscle fatigue. Recently he has looked strong physically.

12. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Well things are kicking off in Marseille. A lot of the major players are there, including Djokovic, Murray, Gasquet, Tsonga, Ferrero.

And the charismatic three time French Open Champion Guga has begun his farewell tour in Brazil, after several lingering injuries which have all but ended his career.

13. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    I've just had a look at Federer's schedule, and has now added Stockholm to his calender for this year. Stockholm takes place one week before the Madrid Masters.

I'm certain he has added in the event in case the race for the year end number one really gets tight between him, Nadal and Djokovic.

14. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    And Tsonga lost to the returning Ancic. Is he coming back down to Earth after the highs of the Australian Open?

15. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Djokovic looses to Simon

16. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    I wonder if Djokovic is still suffering from that viral infection. When I saw his match against Davydenko in Moscow, he looked terrible.

What will be interesting is when the draw for Dubai comes out, in about a weeks time. Dubai as we know is an international gold series event, and one of the only events that attracts the tops player that is not a Masters Series.

Federer, Nadal, Djokovic. It is going to be intense!!!! :D

17. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Murray has bounced back in style after the Aus Open by winning in Marseille, against Ancic. It's the second title of the season, after winning Doha at the start of the year, and the fifth of his career. Murray will be hoping for a hatrick of title in San Jose next, as he enters the event the two time defending champion.

Djokovic has pulled out of Rotterdam citing the flu that cost him the Davis Cup tie a few days back in Moscow.

18. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    some 18 year old guy named Nishikori wins Delray Beach upsetting blake in final.

19. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Yes, I saw it! This young talent is from Japan. I noticed how good he was in his semi final match, he is quite a clean striker of the ball. Blake should have had the experience advantage, but fell short.

20. Crossix

Crossix Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2007
    Going to the SAP open in here in san jose this coming weekend.

21. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Cool! If you can give us a report of what you see that would be great! :D

22. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Nishikori rises 113 spots to 131st. That tournamnet suggests he will only climb higher.

23. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    It's always good to see new blood on the scene. Hopefully, he will stick around and make things more interesting. :)

24. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Congratulations to Roger Federer!!!!! =D= =D= =D=

Federer Has Been Awarded Record Fourth Laureus Award In Four Straight Years!!!

That is an outstanding accomplishment, considering he was tied on three with the Greatest himself Mohammed Ali.

25. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    And the seeds continue to fall in Rotterdam. Murray, after winning last week chose to play in Europe instead of defending his title in San Jose. He went out to Haase.

It was also a tough break for Hewitt, who won the event in 2004. He had match point against Seppi, but lost 7-6 in the third.

It will be interesting to see how Nadal bounces back after being blown off the court by Tsonga in Australia. He's looking good at the moment.