main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The official BACK TO THE FUTURE TRILOGY discussion thread

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by BillyShears, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillyShears

BillyShears Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2001
    Ok, easy one to start with...

What is your favourite film from the trilogy?

I'd say the second-it's really dark, the characters get fleshed out a lot more and I love the cliffhanger ending!

But the first one is hard to beat-it's all kinda innocent and magical, and works really well as a stand alone film (as originally intended).

The third film does have its moments though-it ties everything up nicely, and it was nice that it was set in a completely different location than the first two. At times it does seem a bit derivative and doesn't quite live up to the expectations raised for it by the other films, but it's still top drawer entertainment.

Hmmmm.....

Kinda reminds me of another famous trilogy that gets talked about round these here parts...

;)

DISCUSS!!!!

2. BillyShears

Feb 6, 2001
    Come on people, the Back to the Future Trilogy is FANTASTIC! Lets get some talkin goin on in here! I don't care what about!

Lets go!

3. Space_Poop

Space_Poop Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2001
    What are you talking about? The third movie was set in the exact same location as the other two movies. We're in agreement though, this is one of my favorite movie series.

I fail to see what this has to do with Lucasfilm though...

4. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Becuase ILM did the effects.

We are free to discuss any film that LFL or ILM is involved with in some way.

This qualifies.

I love the BTTF movies as well. Part 2 is my favorite also.

I love the darkness and the plot twist when they return to 1985. Good stuff. The ending is awesome too becuase of the cliffhanger and chase through the tunnel.

The original was SOOOOOO magical though. Great flick.

Part 3, was a good movie also but still the weakest of the series. But better than most movies. I liked the originality of Part 3 a lot. They knew that going to the old west wouldn't make it seem like just a bunch of rehashed material. It definetly worked.

5. BillyShears

Feb 6, 2001
    Cheers LuukeSkywalker for savin me some explaining-I wanted to discuss BTTF because I think it's a fantastic trilogy and ILM did the effects.
    When I said different location, I should've said different time than the others, eg, not 1955, 2015 or a version of 1985, but 1885-the old west.
    The original is really magical-I'll never forget when I went to see part II-It was a sunday and I sat at home and watched the first one before my dad took me to the pictures to see II-I thought it was great, and then it ended with the little trailer for part III-what a suprise!

Its chock full of great lines too

6. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I thought Hill Valley 2015 was really cool.

7. BillyShears

Feb 6, 2001
    Yeah, I remember the first time I saw the hoverboards in the trailer I thought they were just about the coolest thing I'd ever seen. I remember some guy involved in the making of II saying that hoverboards had been around for years but parent pressure groups didn't want them on the market, as they feared kids were going to get hurt. I was desperate for a hoverboard after that, and then I found out that the guy was just talkin crap-I think the whole "hoverboards are real" thing is a bit of an urban legend now, although I have got a mate who is still convinced.
    I think if BTTF2 was made now, hoverboards wouldn't be made by Mattel.

"Hey Gramps, I told you two coats of wax on my car not just one!"

"Hey little girl, little girl, stop! I need to borrow your...hoverboard?"

8. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    The BTTF trilogy is awesome! It all fits together beautifully.

9. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    The second one was by far the best. Has anyone noticed that Michel J. Fox never ages?

10. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    the first one is by far the best....

1.21 jigawatts!!!

flux capacitor!!

11. R_Flagg

R_Flagg Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2001
    I have to go with the first movie being the best.

"I am Darth Vader from the planet Vulcan."

Cracks me up every time

12. BillyShears

Feb 6, 2001
    Agreed Duckman, it does all fit together really well, especially considering that it was never meant to have any sequels in the first place-its got an absolutely amazing soundtrack as well-Alan Silvestri (sp?) I think.

"Are you telling me that you built a TIME MACHINE? Out of a Delorian?"
    "The way I say it, if you're going to build a time machine, you might as well do it with style."

"Wait a minute Doc-are you telling me that this sucker is nuclear?"

Hands up if you wanted a Delorian after seeing BTTF-I still do!

13. Mike_Mothma

Mike_Mothma Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2001
    Wow! I am surprised to see a BTTF thread here, but pleasantly surprised! I loved those movies---still do. They were fun-filled rollar coaster rides that were well written, well made, and also had great music. A classic trilogy: The first movie stands alone, while the second movie is darker and has a cliff hangar ending, which of course leads to the third movie that raps everything up. I don't agree though that sequels were never planned. I think that the producers and the studio knew that if they had a hit on their hands, they would make more movies. Just look at the "To Be Continued" ending of Part I. Back to the original question, I've never picked a favorite-- it's hard to do. I remember when Part II came out some people didn't like it because it was so different from the original, and others thought it was too confusing. Of course, I loved it for those reasons. I also never understood why people critisized Part III. I loved that movie!Remember the scene near the end, when the train pushes the Delorean up to speed, only to fall of the ravine? Gets my blood pumping every time. There are some great moments in Part 3-- lots of humor, warmth, action, etc. Doc falls in love? Great twist! The ending couldn't be better. The Delorean is destroyed, but Doc returns on a train! You know, I guess that I will have to go against popular opinion here and say that Part 3 is my favorite-- but not by much. We should start a new forum just for BTTF.

14. Mike_Mothma

Mike_Mothma Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2001
    I have another question: when will we EVER see the BTTF DVD's??? Universal must have something big up their sleeves.

15. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    The Back to the Future trilogy is just fantastic. It was my favourite set of films when I was a kid, and for a long time, Michael J. Fox was my role model, and I always tried to pretend I was Marty, which is rather embarrassing to think about now. Probably out of the three, Back to the Future part II is the best, as just like Empire Strikes Back, that's when things get all complicated. But then again, all three films are brilliant! A friend of mine has edited all three films together, so that they play like a four hour film, and it's just brilliant to watch. I think the Back to the Future trilogy is probaby one of the best and most enjoyable film trilogies ever....

16. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    THe BTTF movies will be out on DVd in 2002. Apparently there was some copyright stuff that won't expire until Jan 1, 2002, that has prevented it from being released before this.

2002 should be a great year for DVD releases with BTTF, posibly AOTC, Raiders, and LOTR.

17. Blue_Dawn

Blue_Dawn Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2001
    One of the many reasons for the BTTF trilogy not being available on DVD so far was because of certain legal issues
    e.g:
    "The Eric Stoltz lost footge"

For those of you that are'nt aware,Eric stoltz was originaly cast as Marty McFly,after 6 weeks worth of filming Speilberg and Robert Zem felt Stoltz was too instense for the role......therefore laying him off in order for Michael J Fox to take the part instead.
    Anyway to cut a long story short,
    Stoltz still felt resentful towards the makers when they came to him asking for his permission to use his footage for the extras in the DVD package.
    (he signed some sort of contractual agree-ment before shooting began)
    Only recently Stoltz finally said yes.

18. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Great movies. I love all the little touches...like how Twine Pines mall became Lone Pine(or something like that...it's been a while since I've seen it). And how that ravine that was named after the teacher ended up being called Clint Eastwood Ravine(since everyone thought Marty died in it).

"Slackers!"

19. Darth_Rediculous

Darth_Rediculous Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2001
    I love the BTTF trilogy...I have a friend that loves it too and we watch it annually on (guess which date)....

I can't wait for the DVD's...I hope they do it in a way that plays out as one big movie...I made a copy of all of the movies on one tape and did it this way. It's great except that Jennifer changes at the beginning of part two...when he sees his truck in the garage..

20. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    Part 2 rules

21. Bossk_BountyHunter

Bossk_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 3, 2002
    Back to the Future is brilliant.Part 2 is decent.Part 3 I haven't seen in a long time so I can't make a judgement on it.

22. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I have BTTF on tape...I rememebr that one, but the other two I've seen a few times, but got them all mixed up and don't remember much. I've seen the Western one more, that's the third one you say? ::gets ready to go rent the entire trilogy::

23. BillyShears

Feb 6, 2001
    Woo-aint been in here for a while-good to see y'all are keeping the faith!
    Mike-Mothma-sequels were never planned. The "roads? we don't need roads" ending was a jokey ending for the film, and the "To Be Continued" was added for later video and TV release, to tie in with the "To be concluded" and "The end" on the back of the other two films. There was quite a gap between 1 and the sequels which came out within a year of each other. I read about this in an official "Making of the BTTF trilogy" book I got years ago.

But heres a thought-what would be your reaction people, if they suddenly announced part 4 was on the way..?

24. Golden_Yoda

Golden_Yoda Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2002
    Fav. quote: "Hey you, get your damn hands off of her!"

I'm thowing in my vote for Part II.

25. Golden_Yoda

Golden_Yoda Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2002
    Bob Gale (BTTF's co-writer) recently said that he, as a fan, would feel really upset if they made a part 4 without Fox. Since Fox would, unfortuately, most likely not be able to do it, chances are nill to none.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.