main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The official BACK TO THE FUTURE TRILOGY discussion thread

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by BillyShears, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Actually I remember when Back to the Future first came out on tape. That was the first time I ever saw it. (Never saw the 1st one in the theater) It has always said "To Be Continued..." at the end. For 3 years I wondered when it would be "continued" and what that story would be like.

So yes, that has always been there.

2. BillyShears

BillyShears Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2001
    Hate to be a bugbear, but it didn't originally say to be continued! I saw it for the first time on TV and taped it from that years agpo, and it didn't say it then. When I heard part II was coming out I decided to buy the video, which I've still got, and it doesn't say to be continued.
    I really hope I don't have to go lookin for the book where I saw the quote about this, cos that means visiting the parents to get it!

3. Darth_Fromupnorth

Darth_Fromupnorth Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    I've got them all on VHS. The first one is closest to my heart, and actually on of my favourite movies. Although the other two are great as well, part I is considerably better. Just my opinion.

"Loraine, if you ever have a kid that acts that way I'll disown you."

LOL! :D That always cracked me up!

4. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I'm pretty sure it did always say "To Be Continued" at the end of BTTF 1. I should know, as I remember seeing it at the cinema when it first came out.
    The story I heard, though, was that "To Be Continued" was meant as a joke originally, and they only thought about the sequel once the first was a massive success.

5. BillyShears

BillyShears Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2001
    Darth Homer, you almost hit the nail on the head with the same quote I was looking for, but it was that the ending of the first film (the whole car flying off thing) was a joke ending. The whole "to be continued" thing is along the same lines as the people who are absolutely certain that they saw extra scenes in Star Wars with Luke's friends on Tatooine-the scenes were never in there, but as a result of seeing pictures of them, reading about them and maybe even seeing them later, they feel certain they saw them when they originally saw the film. Since other people believe this too, it kind of reinforces their belief-its all explainable by some weird psychological gumph!

But anyways, I was reading "Total Film" over here in England and someone had sent in a question asking why old biff is so messed up after he gets out of the car and has been and changed the future in part 2-aparently he was originally supposed to collapse and then disapear because obviously he has changed his own future and so that "version" of old biff shouldn't exist! And also there was a scene planned where Lorraine shoots rich biff in the past, explaining also his disappearance in the future-the test audience didn't 'get' why biff disappeared though, and it was thought that Lorraine shooting him was just TOO dark in already fairly heavy film.

Did anyone else know about this? I know it was news to me!

By the way, I do like the simpsons and especially Tim Burton Darth Homer so can I be in your book!?

6. Grand_Moff_Monkey

Grand_Moff_Monkey Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Yeh, I knew about this. Shortly after Part 3 was released there was a 20-25 minute documentary called something like "Secrets of the Back to the Future Trilogy". Hopefully it'll be on the DVD.

They showed a couple of cut scenes from Part 2. When Biff returns to 2015, we can see he's in a lot of pain in the final cut but then in the deleted scene we see him slump against a fence and disappear. The narrator explained that it was thought to be too confusing so it was dropped.

They also showed more in that sequence where Marty's looking around in horror at the alternate 1985 before he goes to Strickland's place. I seem to remember a shot of the school actually burning. They dropped this from a logistics point of view. If it burnt down 10 years ago, why is it on fire now.

I don't recall anything about Lorainne killing Biff though.

7. PhotoGuitarist

PhotoGuitarist Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2002
    I think that Part III is way better than part II, Yes Part II was Darker But the Scenes in the future in 2015 just seemed so cheesy to me. It did get good after they left the future. Part III on the other hand was very good at the begining. I like how Marty ended up taking care of Doc at the begining of the movie. The music is so moving there. I also like how Marty was the one taking charge in the movie for once instead of Doc, who was the one in love.

8. PaDmE-GuRl

PaDmE-GuRl Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2002
    I loooooooooove the first one. I had a major crush on Marty's dad when I saw this. And the stuff about Mr Strickland's hair problem cracked me up, as well as Doc's wacko hair.

9. The_Wampa

The_Wampa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2001
    I thought the second one was the greatest. The best part was learning how Biff made his success through that video.

"Kid, I OWN the police!"

and

"Hey, get out of my car old man!"

10. DarthTorgo

DarthTorgo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2002
    <<I loooooooooove the first one. I had a major crush on Marty's dad when I saw this. And the stuff about Mr Strickland's hair problem cracked me up, as well as Doc's wacko hair. >>

"My god, I'm an old man!!!!"

11. PaDmE-GuRl

Mar 8, 2002
    Hey, could you blame me? I was just a little kid ya know. :(

12. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    BillyShears was talking about old Biff returning to the future in noticeable pain. Yeah, that scene was always confusing, but there is another huge continuity error there. Old Biff would have come back to a completely alternate future. Just like Marty and Doc return to a completely different past because of the changes old Biff made.

13. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    Part II is the best, followed closely by the first one, and then III is a little farther back. :D

14. UberJediPaul

UberJediPaul Jedi Master star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    Part 1 is the best overall movie for non fans who will be able to follow the plot.

Part 2 is the most interesting film but you need to be a real fan to be able to keep up with the pace of it as there is so much clever stuff going on.

Part3 is a perfect conclussion and I doubt if a Part4 would ever get made as 3 ended so perfectly.

Reading the other threads here on the subject brings back many memories to me on the great trilogy...........

When I saw BTTF1 back in 1985 @ the Empire Leicester Square in the last evening show just after the film started a huge fight broke out at the front of the cinema between a few drunken guys. Took a while to stop as well as the cinema was packed solid and had the most incredible atmosphere and loudest cheering I have ever experienced before or since.

BTTF2 I loved so much at the time I saw 10 times @ the Empire Leicester Square and still found new things to notice on each viewing.

BTTF3 does anyone here ever remember how blown away they were at the ending of this film when Doc shows up in the train. I was at the premiere and everyone went absolutely crazy!

All 3 films are great and the DVD's will definately be released by the end of this year. I still have my NTSC Widescreen Laserdiscs which still hold up well today.

Go to BTTF.com for more info as the webmaster is a real fan and his site is awesome containing many rare pictures.

15. GORILLA

GORILLA Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2002
    It depends on what your tastes are.

I liked the first one the best. It definately was the funniest.

"Make like a tree and get outta here." lol

The second one was one Hell of a production. The future, Marty's new family, the alternate 1985 it all blew my mind when I first saw it in '89.

"Eat lead you slackers!"

The third one nicely wrapped up the whole story. It had that warm friendly feeling to it and I was sorry to see it all finally come to an end.

"The future is what you make of it. So make it a good one."

16. OB_Wan_Baloney

OB_Wan_Baloney Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    Has anybody heard anything about when we can expect the BTTF Trilogy to be released on DVD? Just wondering.....

17. Commander_Fel

Commander_Fel Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2002
    Balony- I only wish but I dont know either

I like the first one and the second one because of the two celebrity ladys which I think are cute, plus M. J. fox is pure awesome I liked him back in the 80's and I still like him. He is a very good actor and I do hope they find a cure for that disease because my father has something like that (different kind) of parkinsons

18. Boba_Fett_00

Boba_Fett_00 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    Now why don't you make like a tree and get out of here

19. JediLupan

JediLupan Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2002
    I can't remember where I heard it from but I believe the BACK TO THE FUTURE TRILOGY is scheduled to come out anywhere between thanksgiving and xmas of 2002 along witht the Indy Trilogy.

20. JediLupan

JediLupan Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2002
    It should be a busy xmas season:)

21. OB_Wan_Baloney

OB_Wan_Baloney Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!
    :D

22. PaDmE-GuRl

Mar 8, 2002
    I wish the car didn't have to get killed in the violent way it did. It didn't deserve that. But I really liked the third one just the same as I liked the first. The second one kinda turned me off with all the darkness and gloom. I wasn't expecting that. It looks like the ESB of the trilogy. The third one was really sweet, though.

23. Bail-AnBillies

Bail-AnBillies Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2002
    I love Back to the Future sooo much. Although it wasn't until recently until I saw the last two of the trilogy. I always saw the 1st one b/c it comes on tv all the time, but I never got to see the other two. Actually once I did see the third one, but I had absolutely never seen the 2nd one. Anyhow, now that I've seen all of em my fav is still the first one. I mean com' on it's the only one with George McFly in abundance! George McFly is hilarious. Ok that is all :D

24. Laserschwert

Laserschwert Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2001
    The trilogy is coming out as a 3-DVD-box... date is somewhere in August for Australia, and September for Code 2 (Europe)... not sure about the region 1 release. Check out WWW.BTTF.COM for details...

25. shocktrooper

shocktrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    What can I say I love the series.
    #1 is the Fav
    Can I just say M J FOX is great and I loved all of his shows and films I've seen.
    May we all wish him well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.