main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The official BACK TO THE FUTURE TRILOGY discussion thread

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by BillyShears, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweethoneygirl

sweethoneygirl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    PaDmE-GuRl I know what you are saying. I still have a crush on George McFly. He is just such a cool actor. I loved him in Charlie's Angels. Off the subject though...

I love the first movie the most. I remember seeing it like 5 times in the theatre. I still crack up during the scene where Marty goes to scare George into asking Lorraine out by playing Van Halen.

The 2nd was pretty cool for 1989 standards for effects. I thought it was funny that 2015 was parrelling what Marty did in 1955, and Biff says "I have a funny feeling I have seen this before." Or however the line goes...

I think I need to see the 3rd one again. I haven't seen it that many times. I remember a few funny parts like Marty moon walking and seeing ZZ Top at the party.

2. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    All three of the movies were awesome, a funny part is where Marty jumps off the building a Doc Brown knocks Biff Tannen out with the Delorean's door,only a delorean could had the right door to make that work.

But heres a question i have about part two:When Marty bumps into that bum from the first film thats busy working on his car in the alternate 1985 the guy calls him a drunk a marty acts like he knows the bum whats up with that? the bum is played by Buck Fowler in parts 1 and 2.

3. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Got the DVD on Friday and have been watching it on-and-off for most of the weekend. Great presentation and some neat extras (though they do get a bit repetitive... but that's the same for most DVDs). Some interesting facts (well, for me):

* Crispin Glover didn't return in partsII and III because he made unreasonable demands
    * Originally, BttF part one was almost going to be called "Spaceman from Pluto" (in reference to the magazine that the Peabody kid had) due to pressure from higher-ups in the studio. Thankfully, Spielberg stepped in and stopped it.
    * Ronald Reagan loved the mention of his name so much that he referred to the final lines of the movie ("where we're going we don't need roads!") in a presidential address
    * BttF part two was originally going to be set in the 60s (with George as a college professor and his kids as "flower children")

Also, watching the credits of partII yesterday and noticed that Frodo himself, Elijah Wood, is actually one of the kids in the Cafe 80s trying to fix the "Gunmen" computer game. Can't believe I never caught that before

4. Senator_Bail_Organa

Senator_Bail_Organa Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2002
    "When Marty bumps into that bum from the first film thats busy working on his car in the alternate 1985 the guy calls him a drunk a marty acts like he knows the bum whats up with that?"

Umm, don't you remember that Marty knew him from the first one?

5. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    When I was in late elementary school/Early Junior High, I loved those movies so much that I had them memorized. Now, I can only recite them when they are on TV.

One of the best series of all time!

"You mean my mom...has the hot's for me?"

6. Kouby

Kouby Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    "But heres a question i have about part two:When Marty bumps into that bum from the first film thats busy working on his car in the alternate 1985 the guy calls him a drunk a marty acts like he knows the bum whats up with that? the bum is played by Buck Fowler in parts 1 and 2. "

well that would be Red Thomas (Marty actually calls him Red). He used to be mayor of Hill Valley in 1955 (watch BTTF1 again, when Marty arrives in 1955 Hill Valley, you can see ads all over the place for Red Thomas re-election)
    At the end of BTTF1, when Marty comes back to 1985 with the DeLorean, he sees him sitting on a bench too...

Also another thing I noticed some days ago when watching BTTF3 again: when Marty wakes up in the McFly farm and meets Maggie McFly, he takes a quick look at his legs before jumping out of the bed to check if he still has his pants on...A little private joke to BTTF1 ;)

7. bedada3

bedada3 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    The first BTTF was the best in my opinion.
    BUT
    My view on BTTFs 2 and 3 seems to improve when I look at them as two halves of the same movie. They were released only 6 months apart, and BTTF2 had that part3 trailer at the end of the film, so obviously the 2 movies were filmed together.

8. Kouby

May 22, 2002
    BTTF2 and 3 were actually shot a couple monyhs away...BTTF3 was in editing when 2 came out...and they're indeed two parts of the same story..

9. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    "BTTF2 and 3 were actually shot a couple monyhs away...BTTF3 was in editing when 2 came out...and they're indeed two parts of the same story.. "

That?s correct -- originally Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale had a huge script entitled Back to the Future: Paradox but Universal said the film was going to be to long (clocking in at around the four hour mark I believe) so the two Bobs cut the script right down the middle -- made a few alterations and BTTF 2 & 3 where born.

Interestingly the two Bobs left a little clue as to the time period that might be visited if a Part 4 where ever created. The clue is in Part 3:

Doc: There are plenty worse places to be than the Old West. I could've ended up in the Dark Ages . They probably would've burned me at the stake as a heretic or something.

You see the two Bobs left clues to the storylines of the sequels in each part of the BTTF trilogy and here they are:

Part 1

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed of seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.

Of course the two Bobs hadn't thought of it yet but the twenty-five World Series line refers to the Almanac in Part 2.

Part 2

Doc: My only regret is that I will never get a chance to visit my favourite historical era - the old west . But time travelling is just too dangerous. Better that I devote myself to study the other great mystery of the universe - women .

Of course here we have Doc referring to two things that are in Part 3:

1) The Old West
    2) Clara

So there you have it! Some great foreshadowing added into the movies by the two Bobs. :cool:

Can you tell I'm a BTTF fan? :D

10. Kouby

May 22, 2002
    Can you tell I'm a BTTF fan?

yes we can tell ;)
    and so am I...just got my hands on the Region 2 Trilogy DVDs (I live in France)...
    It feels so nice to be watching them again and again...
    Although I'm disappointed by the fact that the Region 1 DVDs will feature a lot more extras than the International release. Is that supposed to mean that international BTTF fans deserve less than domestic fans??
    so angry about it :mad:

11. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    There is an unexplained piece of information in BTTF3 that basically makes Marty Mcfly going back to 1885 to save Doc Brown from Bufford Tannen seem completely Illogical, In BTTF3 future Doc Emmett Brown from 1955 is with Marty when they look up information on his future selfs past in 1885,Doc Brown sees his own gravestone and finds out his future self gets shot in the back and killed by bufford tannen over a matter of $80 but yet after hearing this information he should technically be able to prevent this fate from occuring but doesnt.

Why does Doc Brown completely forget what he learns about his own death?shoudnt his reading this information cause his future self to carefully avoid this kind of death? or does he fail to remember his conversation with marty back in 1955 because of his old age?he doesnt seem to remember dressing marty up in cowgirl wear or anything that happened earlier in the same movie, i realize that he forgets as a plot device because they have a movie to make but this is absurd.

12. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Okay I'll try and answer you questions Mateo:

1) How come Doc doesn't remember dressing Marty in the "Pink Cowboy" costume?

It's quite simple really - the time ripple effect hadn't yet caught up with Doc and refreshed his memory with the "new" events that took place in 1955.

2) How come Doc can't remember back to seeing his own tombstone and prevent it from ever happening?

Now the explanation for Doc not remembering seeing his own tombstone back in 1955 is slightly more difficult so please try and bare with me.

First and foremost Doc can't simply remember back and then try & prevent his death, as this would cause a time paradox that would destroy the Universe.

The explanation the two Bobs have given us, is that the Timeline is always trying to keep itself on track and tries to prevent Paradox?s.

Therefore instead of Doc being able to remember the details of his death, the timeline makes sure that Doc's memory is clouded or the details of that day in 1955 have been completely erased.

Hope that helps you out,

-- Dale

13. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Final Specs Released:

Back to the Future

The Making of Back To The Future

Making the Trilogy: Chapter One

Candid Q&A with Director Robert Zemeckis and Producer Bob Gale

Enhanced Conversation with Michael J. Fox

Feature Commentary with Producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton

Outtakes

Deleted Scenes with Commentary by Producer Bob Gale :
    - Peanut Brittle
    - "Pinch Me"
    - Cigarette Commercial
    - Doc's Personal Belongings
    - "She's Cheating"
    - Darth Vader (Extended Version)
    - "Hit Me, George"
    - "You Got A Permit?"
    - The Phone Booth

Did You Know That? Universal Animated Anecdotes

Original Make-up Tests

Production Archives :
    - Marty McFly Photo Album
    - Behind-the-Scenes Photographs
    - The DeLorean Designs -
    Time Travel Designs

Excerpts from the Original Screenplay

Theatrical Trailer

DVD-Rom Features including Total Axess

Back to the Future, Part II

The Making of Back To The Future Part 2

Making the Trilogy: Chapter Two

Q&A with Director Robert Zemeckis and Producer Bob Gale

Outtakes

- Old Terry and Old Biff
    - "Dad's Home" (Extended Version)
    - Pizza Scene
    - Jennifer Faints (Extended Version)
    - Old Biff Vanishes From Car
    - Burned Out High School
    - Marty Meets Dave

Production Design

Storyboarding

Designing the DeLorean

Time Travel

Hover Board Test

The Evolution of Visual Effects

Production Archives :
    - Futuristic Designs
    - Vehicle of the Future

Huey Lewis & The News "Power of Love" Music Video

Theatrical Trailer

Cast and Filmmakers

Production Notes

Back to the Future, Part III

The Making of Back To The Future 3

Making the Trilogy: Chapter Three

Q&A with Director Robert Zemeckis and Producer Bob Gale

Outtakes

- The Tannen Gang Kills Marshal Strickland

Designing the Town of Hill Valley

Designing the Campaign

Production Archives :
    - Production Designs
    - The Trilogy: Poster Concepts

The Secrets of the Back to the Future Trilogy

ZZ Top "Doubleback" Music Video

FAQ's about the Trilogy

Theatrical Trailer

Cast and Filmmakers

Production Notes

:D :D :D

14. bedada3

bedada3 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    Actually, Kouby, I didn't say "two parts of the same story."
    It's obvious they're 2 parts of the same story. :)
    I said, specificly, "Two halves of the same movie."

15. eclipseSD

May 11, 2002
    The wait is over.

BTTF is out on DVD!!!!!!!!

:D

16. Spaceman_Spiff

Spaceman_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Go here and some of these questions will be answered.

17. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I LOVE Back to the future. I bought the DVD's and saw them all. they're great. always loved these movies.

But i got a question about the movie. U know how Marty goes through different times and changes things. He goes in the 50's and changes how his parents meet so then in the future (85) his parents are different. His house is different, and his brother and sister are different. His whole family doesn't have any knowledge of their life being different (before Marty changed things around)

but yet Marty hasn't changed. He lives in this new 1985 in which he created, but he still has the knowledge of how his family use to be.

SO.. we see that when marty travels through time that he doesn't get affected mentally, SO why is it that he gets affected Physically?

Also in Back to the Future 2 when Marty goes to the bad 1985 he meets his new mom (one with big breast) and the tough rich biff.

When Biff see's marty he says to his wife "shouldn't your son be in (some country forgot which one) in college?"

so doesn't this mean there is another Marty in that time period (bad 1985)?

So if there is a Marty in the Bad 1985 wouldn't there have been a other Marty in the Good 1985 (the good 1985 is the one Marty has the black truck and biff is a nerd)

Wouldn't it make sense that there would be another Marty in the good 85 cuz Marty doesn't have any knowledge of his life in this new 1985 only the original 85 he came from. And we know this cuz at first he doesn't know about him having the truck, he shocked to see Biff as a nerd, and he was shocked to see his brother and sister being successful.

I've asked alot of questions. sorry if i've confused u guys. But basically Why is it that Marty doesn't get affected Mentally but he gets affected physically when he almost made his parents not hook up.

And shouldn't there be another marty in the Good 85 since there was another Marty in the Bad 85?

18. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    There's always been a possibility that there's another Marty from the new 1985 he created when he went back in time. I have a theory. What if it seemed like Marty had remained unchanged by his going back in time except for one thing: he goes psycho everytime someone calls him "chicken"? In parts II and III Marty suddenly has this thing where whenever someone calls him that, he loses his good judgement. What if that was an effect of the alternate timeline he created? Like before he went back he never had a problem with it but somehow now growing up in a good home with his parents being perfect it caused this new flaw in his personality? I also liked to think it caused his girlfriend Jennifer to end up looking like Elizabeth Shue instead of Claudia Wells!

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Just a gentle reminder that non-LucasFilm film discussion in here should really centre around the ILM contribution.

The year of neglect of this forum has lead to several "general appreciation" threads taking root.

I didn't want to delete threads like this for historical reasons, but hope to steer them back onto the right track from now on.

Having said that, plot discussion is OK, but not encouraged, and the odd deviation form the intended topic is fine.

For more on the direction of this forum, please see The future of this forum... (comments, ideas, suggestions wanted)

:D

20. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    So are u saying we can or can't talk about the plot of ILM movies? Or can we only talk about the FX of the ILM movies

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm saying you can discuss the plot of non LucasFilm films that have ILM contribution, BUT the main thrust of any thread on a non-LucasFilm movie (eg. Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan) should try should be the contribution of ILM (or other Lucas-Affiliated company) to that film.

The YJCC is a better forum for general Movie appreciation threads.

So again, yes, you can discuss the plot - but I encourage participants in this thread to gently steer it back to the ILM contribution if at all possible. :)

22. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    whats the YJCC? Is that a forum with alot of other films (terminator, back to the future, superman..........)

whats the website link if u can tell me. The only other place i go to for other movie forums is www.countingdown.com

23. eclipseSD

May 11, 2002
    YJCC=Your Jedi Council Community

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    It's the community board here, and movies is one of the many topic allowed.

Here's the link; Your Jedi Council Community

Unfortunately the forum has so many thousands of threads that it's hard to find existing threads sometimes, even with the search feature. But if you start a new thread on a movie (or any topic), chances are someone who knows of any existing thread will point you in the right direction, so just ask a Mod to lock up your thread and head on over to the existing one. :)

25. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Actually what I would like to know if someone knows about the DVD problems. I bought the set but haven't had time to watch it yet. Apparently part 2 and 3 have serious misframing problems (especially compared to the LD versions). Apparently Bob Gale found out and complained. Apparently Universal is printing replacements, you ned to send discs 2 and 3 and they'll send you the new prints that are correctly framed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.