main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Being Unemployed Sucks Arse Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Raleigh, NC' started by Boba_Fett_of_Nine, Aug 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Boba_Fett_of_Nine Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2003
    I hate being unployed. My rent is so late as well as other bills piling up. I hate this frickin town (Greenville). I guess it's not too much better elsewhere. I also am trapped in a lease so its not like I could go anywhere else. (unless I pay new rent plus the rent on the current place to fulfil the contract.) Why do jobs haveta be so fricking hard to find?

2. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Yes, yes unemployment leads to frustration, and anger, and that leads to desperation. A jedi craves not these things because they lead to the dark side, or worse, an eviction notice, so I'll be your problem solver / employment counselor for a moment - it is coming out in me.

Let's look at positive things you could be doing. First - go to your local NC Jobs center. There's bound to be one in your state offices locally, and they get new jobs on their listings Mondays and Tuesdays.

Secondly, if you are as hungry as you sound, don't be ashamed to get government assistance in the form of food stamps or United Way assistance to bridge the gap until you land a position somewhere.

BFof9,
    What kind of skills do you have? What's your educational background? Are you willing to move? (Raleigh or Charlotte are your best NC towns for work) What type of career are you looking for? What do you enjoy doing most? If you had no money worries, what would be your ideal career would make you happiest?

Once I get a feel for that, then I or someone here on the boards could network with you and help you take action and we could coalesce a gameplan for you. Ok?
    I want updates on how you're doing! We've already helped a person or two here along the same line of discussion. :)

3. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Aug 3, 2003
    I'm going to about 10 or so places to apply before the Greenville FanForce meeting at 5:45. I have a couple of leads, but nothing set in stone. I'll keep you guys posted. thanks for caring! :)

I have indeed played with the idea of moving to Raleigh, then I'd be right there with my good new friends and the conventions (which NEVER come to Greenville...)But with no car, I couldn't imagine it at this time.

BFo9

4. Psycho_Jedi

Psycho_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 26, 2002
    Definitely keep us posted BFo9. I know what it's like to be unemployed and not get a job anywhere. If I can do anything to help then just let me know!!

Also don't forget about Temp agencies. They usually work pretty fast because it's in their best interest to get you a job. They don't get paid if they don't find you a job so they usually work pretty fast.

5. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Definitely look into a temp agency if you get a chance. A temp agency got me a job two days after I went which was perfect for me while I was still in school in Chapel Hill. After 90 days working through the temp agency, the actual company hired me on which resulted in a raise and full benefits. It was a great job for a little over two years until I moved back to Greenville.

Then I used the Employment Security Commission to get me an odd job in Greenville while I started looking into actual career opportunities. (It's located on Bismarck Street off of Greenville Blvd. down behind the Golden Corral). Even if you don't talk with counselors at the ESC, the computer jobbank is a great resource just to see what's available. A lot of times you will find stuff that you won't find in the classifieds.

6. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Aug 3, 2003
    n/m--changed my reply...

7. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Aug 3, 2003
    update

I am seriously considering moving to Raleigh after my lease ends in January. I work under a contract for the state every once in a great while, so maybe I can get a state job there. only thing is, I'd haveta get used to the public transit system and make sure my job/home/and groshry store are all on the routes of the buses.

8. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Aug 3, 2003
    update 2

may have 2 strong leads on jobs :) I wanna be positive, but not get my hopes up too high only to be disappointed.

9. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    We're pulling for ya.

10. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Aug 3, 2003
    I was reading in Business 2.0 mag that a huge job boom is about to occur, and one of the top 10 cities where it will occur is none other than Raleigh-Durham. The job growth is expected to be 24.0%. Maybe I do need to move to Raleigh....but the hottest fields would require some degrees, which I really wanna return to school anyway..my major will probabaly be Medical Office Administration. (medical transcription, medical coding, patient rep...very high paying jobs)

11. Blackdog

Blackdog Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2003
    I'm definitly hoping for something else for myself, but moreso something for my dad. He's still working part-time out in the 'Park for some friends startup company that gets fortune 500 funding or some crap like that. Needless to say, working part time and being on unemployment, he doesn't get as much as he used to and stuff is tight every week for them financially.

Also doesn't help I still live at home.

I'd move out myself, but I can't afford to atm with my current job and a brand new car (that I desperately needed). If I can find a 30k a year lowe-end computer job anywhere in the triangle area (anywhere but durham), I'll definitly move out and grab it. Right now I work at a company I will not name and to me its day to day. I come in every day wondering if I'll still have my job when I leave. It is that screwed up here.

I'm also semi-screwed on my skill-set. I know basic things about computers. I can build and set up a computer like there is no tomorrow. I can troubleshoot most of them, but I don't know complicated things to have a full desktop support type job (especially since alot of them want you to know networking). I can't afford to go back to school and add on to my Associates Degree in Applied Sciences: Information Systems. My only other option is read books I suppose.

So in the end I'm basically screwed for life myself. Hope you have better luck on your search, BFo9. :)

BTW if companies like IBM just layed of thousands of employees, alot in our area, I doubt there is gonna be any sorta big boom in the employment of people. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.