main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official CHRONORADIO Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Audio' started by Nathan_P_Butler, Jul 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Just 6 short days...

-Gregory

2. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    Heh, don't remind me. So much stuff to do between now and then, non-Fanworks or audio related. I'm going to aim for the night of Nov. 30 / Dec. 1, but it may just end up being sometime during the day Nov. 30. I have work and then my interview with Kevin J. Anderson on Monday, plus a heck of a lot of recovery work to grade for students, so I'll put it up whatever chance I happen to get. Luckily, most of the pages are ready on my hard drive and just need the upload to kick off the new release.

3. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    And . . .

ChronoRadio #12 (overall episode #35) is now available, with topics covering the end of the NJO, beginning of the Clone Wars, notable EU deaths, and more. Three special guests join in the discussions also . . .

http://www.starwarsfanworks.com/chronoradio.html

4. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Alright, folks, at long last: ChronoRadio: Interview Edition #16 is finally released, featuring none other than Star Wars and Dune expanded universe author Kevin J. Anderson in the best CR interview yet.

Enjoy, and happy new year.

(You'll find this episode under Interview Editions.)

5. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Mkay, for the record:

I've not heard back from Abe outside of the first early phone contacts, and his phone line was tied up the day we were supposed to record. So, I'm going to push back his appearance, presuming he does make on, until a later show or interview episode.

I'm going to be bringing in Michael Galasso for that segment, since it also fits that we'd talk about another of his projects.

Oh, and as of now, the Serial Edition contest is *OVER*. We have our winner, and the winning tale will be released on Feb. 1 with CR #13.

6. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    CR #13 is effectively finished minus any last minute changes that have to be made, of which I doubt there will be many, if any.

CR: Serial Edition #4, the contest-winning story, will have its file finished tonight, I believe, so it *will* be launching on Feb. 1 like the others.

I also just got my package back from KJA, and I'll be emailing him a thanks sometime tonight, but, I figure it's this way for everyone, not just the show host (heh, perks!), but this package wasn't just Hidden Empire hardback signed. It was also a bookplate signed to be inserted into the second book in the series to make that a signed copy, a copy of Whipping Mek signed by KJA (I now have two of these, one from Dragon*Con signed in front of me), a copy of his newsletter, and a promo postcard-sized item for Brian Herbert's biography of Frank Herbert, signed by Brian Herbert.

That's three signed KJA things and one signed Brian Herbert thing, for the cost of an envelope and postage, folks. Take him up on the offer!

http://www.wordfire.com/free.html

7. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    And, they're here, folks.

ChronoRadio XIII: Fairy Tale No More
    The new regular episode features discussion on the Star Wars Kid and why Star Wars may not be a fairy tale anymore, along with the start of a new 6-part storytelling tutorial, and all the rest of the expected CR goodness, complete with guests Gregory Harbin and Michael Galasso.

ChronoRadio: Serial Edition IV: Matted
    This new Serial Edition features an original story by Michael Galasso that won the first-ever CR Serial Edition contest earlier this year.

Check them both out at:

8. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Okay, an update on CR as a whole:

I'm going to be trying to refine the format a bit again as we get further into 2004. A few things that are intended:

1. Limiting Teek's Ear News to no more than 5 news bytes.

2. Limiting Mailbag to no more than 3 letters.

3. Using ongoing features to keep a sense of continuity throughout the year, such as the 6-part Storytelling Tutorial. Set up Michael Galasso as a possible regular guest for topics that aren't otherwise covered by a guest, much like Fox News contributors on O'Reilly, At Large, etc.

4. Have a guest for at least one segment, if not both main segments, for every show. Only do one-man feature segments if the topic is so intricate that it requries one detailed explanation and description.

5. If any negative mail or comments are received (which there haven't been in a while), include at least one among the no more than 3 letters per show.

6. Try to make all reviews tie together somehow. In the case of 2004, the rest of the year will be rotating between SW Infinities mini-series reviews and reviews of chunks of the pre-Clone Wars Republic comic series.

7. Include some positive commentaries throughout the year, rather than just what amounts to rants.

8. Include more small snippets, such as the Nexcess skit or earlier commercials like those done by Rich Sigfrit and others. So, if you're into parody commercials, hit me with some.

9. Do less interviews than in 2003, but make all interviews, hopefully, as entertaining and well-researched as the KJA interview.

10. Hold at least one more Serial Edition contest before the end of 2004.

11. Set up a general Special Edition schedule to begin in summer 2005.

12. Get confirmation of a yes or no on CR having a sort of official band that would be featured new openings and closings, perhaps even as new transitions at times.

13. Run no episodes more than 2 hrs, aiming more for no more than 90 min. (preferably 80 for CD-burners, but that is only a dream, most likely).

14. Cover enough in main episodes (perhaps in contradition to plan item #13) to ensure that there is not a need for many Supplemental Editions in 2004 and beyond.

9. cinemafreak

cinemafreak Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2002
    Well, I look forward to hearing the new format, though I will miss the old. Nothing like hearing a Bulter rant.

10. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Oh I'll still rant at times, but y'know, it'll be less often. Unless someone wants me to talk about the current topic in politics, the marriage amendment that Bush is proposing.

ooooooooooooooooooh, don't get me started.

11. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    CHRONORADIO #14 and the REVISED version of CHRONORADIO: THE CANON QUESTION are now both available!

12. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL

PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    All in all a good episode, Mr. Butler.

13. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Thanks, Prophet. Glad you liked it.

14. cinemafreak

May 13, 2002
    oooohhh. I'm a fandom personality. kick ass.

15. cinemafreak

May 13, 2002
    love the tutorials. I hope to see these come together as a separate file after they are finished.

16. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Hmm, the tutorials all as one file? Possibly. Doubtful, but possibly. That's part of the draw for people to listen to the whole year's shows. ;)

Speaking of draw, CR now has hooked up with the Nashville rock group "Spout" to feature one of their songs in each show as a transition between Segments 1 and 2, kind of like the Nexcess.Net skit in CR #14. We'll start if off with their song "In a Drama" for CR #15 in June.

17. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    It looks like THIS WEEKEND for the ChronoRadio TPM film commentary, which will be able to be lined up with the TPM DVD and played like a built-in DVD commentary. It'll deal with continuity issues, social issues that arose that LFL wouldn't include in an official commentary, humor, etc.

18. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    IT'S DONE!

Tonight, something very different:

The new ChronoRadio "The Phantom Menace" film commentary file has been released. Follow the instructions in the episode and play it along with the DVD for a unique ChronoRadio experience.

Clickie

19. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Hallelujah! I can talk about it finally.

Butler to Write for Star Wars Tales #21

We've had to sit on this one since early March, but we can finally announce it . . .

Keep your eyes on the stands and the comic book shops in late September (or early October) for Star Wars Tales #21. Fans of Star Wars fan audio will recognize a familiar name in the comic's credits. The issue, part of a new, revised Tales run under the new series editor, Associate Editor Jeremy Barlow, who is taking over for Dave Land, will feature a story entitled Equals and Opposites.

Equals and Opposities, written by Star Wars Fanworks founder Nathan P. Butler, will feature the first individual Star Wars story, outside of those releases that were part of the Dark Forces line (the Dark Forces / Jedi Knight video game series and the Dark Forces graphic novels by William C. Dietz), to star longtime Star Wars fan favorites Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors. The tale will take place just after Force Heretic: Remnant and put the two oft-forgotten heroes on the small Imperial Remnant world of Ord Sedra, facing off with Yuuzhan Vong and Peace Brigade slavers.

Butler has previously appeared as an interview subject in Will Brooker's Star Wars study Using the Force (Continuum, 2002), received an acknowledgement from writer Dan Wallace in The New Essential Guide to Character (Del Rey, 2002), and had the Rebel agent character in Empire: What Sin Loyalty, who went unnamed in the comic but named in the script, named after him ("Krono" Relt for "ChronoRadio").

In fandom, Butler has been the creator and compiler of the Star Wars Timeline Project (since 1997), host of ChronoRadio (since 2002), writer of Second Strike (2002 - 2003), series creator and writer of five episodes of Star Wars: Anthology (since 2003), and has had voice roles in various fan audio and fan film productions. He is also the founder of Star Wars Fanworks.

In being given this invitation to write for a licensed Star Wars product, Butler joins a small group of fans to have been pulled from fan production genres to do so, including Troops creator Kevin Rubio, Ryan vs. Dorkman co-creator Ryan Wieber, Bounty Trail creator Justin Dix, and Planet Guide compiler Dan Wallace.

More details will follow in June's ChronoRadio #15, including information about a forthcoming ChronoRadio: Special Edition that will follow the story's creative process. At present, the final script has been written by Butler and approved by Dark Horse, LucasArts, and Lucasfilm. It now goes to artist James Raiz (Transformers: Armada) for the next step in the creative process.

Who would've thought that a rant about Dark Horse's Star Wars problems in early 2003 would bear this kind of fruit?

----

Phat, no?

20. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Finally, ChronoRadio #15 (The Fine Arts Episode) is released!

Clickie

It features discussion on the SW cartoons (with Jay Mustered) and Brian Daley's Radio Dramas (including a tribute from Michael Mays).

Check it out.

21. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
  22. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Here's what's coming up for August 1

ChronoRadio #16: Fans Do It For Free
    ChronoRadio: Interview Edition: Rich Handley
    ChronoRadio: Interview Edition: Alan Dean Foster
    ChronoRadio: Listener Q&A #1
    Star Wars Timeline Gold #34
    Nothing Changes, Part II
    Requiem of the Outcast #11
    Requiem of the Outcast: Special Edition #1

I mention the two ROTO eps because I know that at least one of them, the Special Edition, will have me in it, as it will contain the second half of the group interview with ADF that begins in that CR:IE.

23. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    For the record (and it's up on the Fanworks site's news area now): "ChronoRadio: Special Edition I: The Canon Question, Revised" will be removed from circulation as of September.

The revised edition was made to reflect the new Lucasfilm continuity policy as of early this year, when they started saying that everything is being worked in except contradictory ELEMENTS, instead of kicking out whole games and such for small contradictions. That was easy to fix by editing the file, but the newest change to the levels, the NEW, confirmed versions of the Classic Trilogy that will be found on the new DVDs have basically altered the structure to the point where it would require redoing the entire file. Since the new policy really helps make the big continuity questions less relevant, I've decided to simply discontinue the file, rather than revise it yet again.

So, if you want a copy of CR:SE #1 (The Canon Question), you need to get it before Sept. 1.

24. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    Having a very small role in Chronoradio and Fanworks combined, I can henceforth justify my complete ignoring of this board.

You all suck.

Anyway, listen to the new episode. I'm in it, ergo teh goodness is flowing strongly.

-Fig

25. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    LOL. Yeah, Fig's in the August episode. Bring some soap to wash your brain out after you listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.