main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Chuck Wendig Q&A Thread - Chuck's Reponses Posted for 1st Round! (Aftermath Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 24, 2015.

1. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    I can't even begin to put into words how angry I am that this dark side of Star Wars fandom has been so insidious and so vile that they've potentially chased away one of the best writers to come into this community in ages. Well, I can put it into words, but every one of them would have to be censored out.

2. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    Interesting hints... I'm intrigued to see how the reaction will shape the next two books.

This has never been an easy fandom on authors, but it seems like it's reached whole new levels of insanity lately. Having both participated in the bloodbath myself way back in the day, and been a direct witness to people who've handled it badly, I've actually been taken aback by some of the stuff directed at Wendig...

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    While it's depressing to hear him talk like that, I don't think we need to fret too much just yet about the possibility of losing him from the SW stable--he's got fully two years to come around before he could even start writing a fourth book, and unless the trilogy's quality takes a nosedive in the next two books his SW experience can only get better from now on.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Good point I just really hope he sticks around because I very much liked his writing style and how he told the story.

Well he always has JCF.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I am sad that we (the SW fan community) have done it again. Some folks are outright angry, but I'm just disappointed. But instead of dwelling on the negative, I'll say this: I really hope that the true warmth and spirit of the SW fandom can shine through in the time it'll take for the Aftermath trilogy to conclude and I hope that it'll be brighter in the end than this spot of darkness.

And that's all I'm going to say about that. Let's not debate the merits of the book and/or the author in this thread please!

Glad we'll be getting a follow-up on this! Wendig was correct that I wasn't entirely being fair to Tashu or Shale by calling them sad. Tashu is a freak and a weirdo, but that's the exact reasons he was an Imperial advisor after all. And I actually rather liked Shale, even if she's past her prime. But I'm glad to know we're supposed to be getting the sense that these are the dregs.

I'm not sure I like the idea that the Death Star II had all of the Empire's best, but I can see it having a lot of them (the EU had a similar idea!) and with the rest of them busy blowing themselves up fighting over the Empire's scraps.

I have a suspicion that Sloane is operating her own notionally Loyalist splinter (or the fleet admiral's splinter) but that she doesn't actually answer to Coruscant in anything but theory.

I am eternally grateful that Wendig used Sloane, and I think her portrayal is entirely consistent with and fits well within the arc as seen in JJM and Fry (who portray her in different crucial stages of her development). I think it's great that we've had three authors handle this character in multiple stories and they all got it right.

It's not easy to do. The old EU had a lot of character sharing, which sometimes worked really well and sometimes didn't. Props to these authors for doing it right.

This portrayal is 100% consistent with the EU's portrayal of Mothma as an idealist, though I should note that her big examples of idealism are actually calculated political measures and half-truths... (she grandly ordered the scrapping of the NR's sole captured SSD, but actually didn't. She made a show of refusing to assassinate the Emperor at Endor... but then went for it. She claimed to champion democracy, but took dictatorial powers etc.)

Luckily, Wendig's portrayal of Mothma is similarly subject to reading her as a political opportunist and operator so he's still 100% on the ball here!

Very glad for this too - I've long advocated seeing stories about different characters, and the NEU is embracing this. I want precisely to show the galaxy is big and home to all sorts of stories.

I am only commenting on the original question, which I find hilarious given Tashu's fondness for knives...

I have to say I'm not the biggest fan of this analogy -- Coruscant didn't blow up, after all. And it's a big, big galaxy. Yet I take his point in that he's trying to play the DSII thing as immensely catastrophic, a decapitation nobody's quite ready for.

Personally, that's not entirely the way I'd have preferred it. I actually prefer the EU approach here in that there was actually *plenty* of the Imperial governing apparatus left around, but the Empire was designed not to function without the Emperor so it broke around. Not because there was any desire to get rid of the Empire per se or because nobody believed in the Empire anymore, but because the Empire was designed to blow itself to pieces. I prefer this over the kind of "Arab Spring" model we're getting (which should happen in many places, just perhaps not in the Core and certainly not Coruscant, IMO) and/or this Berlin model.

To an extent, that old EU reading is still possible under Wendig's outline here. And certainly we see Lost Stars headed in that direction. But I'm not a big fan of this quick splintering. It's sort of my one big problem with the post-Endor NEU, which I really thought would go the opposite direction from Legends and actually make the war with the legitimate Empire last a while.

I understand if TFA means this has to shake out this way, and I certainly understand the thematic and mythological reasons why the Empire has to fall apart quickly (if that is indeed what it was -- his analogy was historical). The dark wizard and his dark knight have fallen, the top minions are destroyed, and the rest are running around with their heads chopped off while the good guys march to victory and try to learn just what that means. It works, it's a nice lovely narrative arc and even if it isn't the reason that Wendig or the SG is going this way, I can justify it in my head under that framework. It's not the one I particularly wanted because of the way I view the Empire v. Rebels shaking out, but I get that we're in space opera here and not hard sci fi so I can roll with it. Under protest. ;)

Positive protest, mind you! I'll happily theorize how/why this Berlin model works. There's already a way to tie Aftermath and Lost Stars together that explains the quick splintering even if central Imperial government is still operating on Coruscant, and Wendig just said we'll learn more about the state of the Empire in the next book. So I'll have to revisit my assessment then. We'll leave it at "not really my favorite" for now.

...well, I can't say I'm disappointed with that answer. I love Sabine's work.

I don't blame him -- not everyone can read damn near every EU book ever as we do. He certainly picked good ones to read, and ones that it's comforting to know an NEU author has read!

I often feel bad about not diversifying my reading as much as I like. This is why my kindle is full of books I need to finish because I'm spending all this time on SW, lol.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ominous?

6. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    I'm actually very interested in this as well. The most prominent gay characters in the new canon so far have both been imperials. I'm quite curious to see if the Empire was okay with this, or if they had to hide it, much like countless people feel they have to in the real world. Mors was actually married. To me it looks like the Empire has no problems with it, but Wendig's response here makes me think there may actually be an interesting story to tell about it.

Poor Greedo likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's my read too. LotS made it appear as the Empire didn't really care either way, but his response here suggests that it may be an actual thing. It's still possible that it isn't a thing and he just meant he'd address the point directly, but I guess we'll see!

Poor Greedo likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

I do wonder if this supports the "Sloane as NuPellaeon, Mysterious Admiral as NuThrawn" theory. There'll probably be plenty of differences - but the characters may occupy similar niches, even if they have very much their own personalities and backgrounds.

9. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Is this all of the answers? I was hoping for a bit of discussion from him regarding the empire's beginnings in the outer rim. I'm not hung up on it, but it still seems like an odd statement for Wedge to make.

Glad to see the answers, but sad to see that the negativity got to him. I can't really blame him, though. Some of the things said about him (personally, not just the writing) were brutal. As a writer myself, I don't think I'm nearly as thick-skinned as he is.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    And those are only the things we saw online. Imagine the stuff that was emailed to him.

my kind of scum and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    Fantastic interview GAJ!!! Now this is some great information and insight into the book. Well done!

12. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Tbh, some people criticised his unprofessional behavior when he tried to make a critic seem like a homophobe instead of answering a criticism. Most criticism towards his writing that I've seen comes from it being perceived as a YA novel in a regular novel's clothing. People weren't expecting that for the big "To be continued" novel following on from ROTJ.

13. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004

The only reviews Chuck has posted on Twitter have been reviews calling out gay characters.

If you're referring to the guy who commented on his blog claiming he had nothing against the gay characters and then Chuck did a quick Google search to find out the guy had been posting anti-gay rhetoric on his Facebook page...sorry, I can't feel sorry for that guy.

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999

AdmiralNick22 and Taalcon like this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, let's keep this thread clear of that discussion please. I realize we're also not talking about it in the Aftermath thread either, but the subject is just a little toxic right now.

Thank you for the kind words, but this was all @AdmiralNick22's doing! I was just quote-replying to the interview answers Nick posted. :)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Frankly, I find this a bit alarming, because it really seems like the sort of thing that should have been better coordinated now - and yet we already had the screwup with Imperial sexism in Smuggler's Run. (Yes, that's easy to rationalize away as Beck's inaccurate POV, but that still is rationalizing it away).

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The next book "getting into it" could just mean more specific details on the Imperial nondiscrimination policies, where all the first book did was imply. Or maybe there are rules against romantic entanglements of any kind among loyalty officers specifically--which is totally plausible.

ifleninwasawizard likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    FWIW I tweeted about how even the Empire isn't homophobic, so homophobes are worse than the Empire and Wendig "favorited" that so if we want to over analyze we might say that it's a sign that he's not changing that.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Poor Greedo and CooperTFN like this.
  19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    If we want to overanalyze?

AdmiralNick22 and JediMara77 like this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You know me, I like polite and indirect language. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

21. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004

Now that would be interesting.

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I was half expecting that to come up in Lost Stars re: Ciena, but apparently not.

23. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
  24. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Yeah, thanks for making this happen, I enjoyed reading Chuck's answers and I hope he changes his mind and decides to write more Star Wars books after the trilogy. :)

Darth Kermit likes this.
  25. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I've not yet finished Aftermath yet, but into part 3. I too am of the view that the comments, especially on Amazon reviews are really harsh. If im honest when you first start out the nature of the writing is a bit jarring and it sounded a bit like how Family Guy interprets William Shatner speaking. All.Over.The.Place.

However if you perservere the style is different, for sure and now Im into part 3 its second nature and makes an interest depart from the standard fare. It works for what Chuck wants to do with his series and really really works in the action scenes.

I for one hope he is given more books to write.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.