main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official 'Clone War' reaction thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by JohnnyboyVT, Feb 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyboyVT

JohnnyboyVT Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2002
    When is the next trailer coming out, I know in March but does anybody know exactly when ... I can't wait

2. Darth_Xero

Darth_Xero Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    I'm guessing sometime between March 14th-22nd. They'll post it online first, ussually on a Thursday. Maybe Thursday the 14th or Thursday the 21st. We'll see. :D

3. THX_Princess

THX_Princess Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    The most likely film for debut is Ice Age. It comes out in the exact middle of March and is a 20th Century Fox film too.

I still haven't decided to see it or not.

4. Darth_Xero

Darth_Xero Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    In March I'm planning on seeing, Resident Evil and Blade 2, so I'm hoping they add the trailer to one of those. :p If not there's always the internet. :D

5. AnakinSlave

AnakinSlave Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 16, 2002
    The Ice Age opens March 15. Hopefully with a new AOTC trailer.

6. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

I thought the logical film for to be connected to would be E.,T., no?

7. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    Good call, Ani-droid. When is the E.T. re-release?

8. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    22nd of March for America, and the 27th of March for England. It'll great if the fourth trailer is attached to E.T, as I haven't seen it yet, so I'll be getting a brand new Steven Spielberg film (sort of), and some brand new Star Wars material (sort of), so that woo hoo!

9. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    Surely you jest?! you NEVER seen E.T.? Did you grow up in a nuke bunker or something? Wow! I'm very impressed if that's the word I'm looking for.

10. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    With the exception of the Breathing trailer, trailers are not usually attached to one particular film. The studio might make a suggestion to theatres.. (please put this on Harry Potter).. but other than that, the theatres can put the trailer on whatever they want, whatever is the hot film for that week.

I have not seen E.T. since it was in theatres in 1982... I was 8 and I barely remember it. So it will be virtually a new film for me too.

11. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    I saw Monsters Inc. in order to see the Breathing Trailer. I wouldn't have done that, however, if I didn't also want to see Monsters Inc. And as I'm none too pleased with the PC butcher job Spielberg plans for E.T., I have no intention of seeing it. Ice Age, I might.

12. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    "Surely you jest?! you NEVER seen E.T.? Did you grow up in a nuke bunker or something? Wow! I'm very impressed if that's the word I'm looking for."

I wish I was! For some bizarre reason, everytime it came on television, I'd always miss it, and as I'm a huge fan of Steven Spielberg, it's even worse! But at least I'll be able to watch it for the first time ever on the big screen, so that'll be cool. I just hope Steven Spielberg goes ahead and releases both versions on DVD, as I'd like to see the original as well.

13. Turkilma

Turkilma Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2001
    You didn´t miss anything Oakssteve.

It´s one of Spielberg´s worst movies (IMHO of course).
    O.K. E.T. himself is a likeable creature but the movie is far too kitschy, boring and predictable.

Though I like many of Spielberg´s movies this one was almost unbearable to watch.

14. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    Hey, man...

Spielberg is my absolute favorite director. Please don't dog on the man. He does brilliant work!

I received a typed and handsigned letter response from him just when he got Dreamworks started when I sent him mail upon achieving Eagle Scout. I have it framed and on the wall.

I hope to meet him someday along my journey of trying to be a moviemaker.

15. Turkilma

Turkilma Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2001
    Spielberg is a great director.

I love movies like "Raiders of the Lost Ark", "The Last Crusade", "Saving Private Ryan", "Jaws", "Schindler´s List", "The Colour Purple", "Amistad" ...

But E.T. has to be one of the most overrated pictures in the history of moviemaking.
    Spielberg is a genius but he´s NOT impeccable. (Does anyone remember "Hook" ?)

16. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Turkilma I totally agree. The man is a genius but no one is perfect.

Even Beethoven wrote a few lame pieces... :D

17. THX_Princess

Aug 26, 2001
    I loved Hook, actually. I think it's great. [face_blush]

However, I HATE A.I. :mad: I hated the story, I hated the music (I don't care if John Williams DID write it!)... I know some people liked it, and if you did, I'm sorry, but oh man, I lost a huge amount of respect for Spielburg on that one. :(

18. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    I was wondering when some one was going to get around to A.I. I agree, have little respect for SpielBURG these days. Spielberg on the other hand... 8-} Actually, I found the film to be one of Spielberg's best if not THE best. I can understand why a lot of people were turned off to it, but I found it very touching and (get a load of this) ended up crying like a baby through out the entire thing! [face_blush] Which is extremely reare for me to do. There's a whole list of reasons why I thought it was so great but I don't feel like getting into them now. "Sorry, Princess, but I don't have time for anything else!" ;)

19. Achtung_Bubba

Achtung_Bubba Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    This is becoming a Spielberg thread, isn't it?

Well, if it must...

A.I. was problematic, to put it mildly. Spielberg's films are usually optimistic and personal while Kubrick was distant and cold; the two filmmakers' visions never truly fit. Spielberg couldn't decide when to end the film or what style should be used.

But beyond all that, the premise from the opening speech was never applied to the rest of the film. The question the creator posed was, could a human love a robot that acted like a human? But the robot never really acted human, so the question was nevered addressed.

20. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    :confused: Erm... he started acting human right after the mother activated the personality chip. That's when all of the human traits like compassion, competition, anger, and love started flooding in.

Kubrick was distant and cold

I always do what Spielberg does when people bring up Kubrick's inhummanity... I mention a little film called "Lolita".

21. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    Kubrick's over-rated.

(couldn't resist, had to say it)

22. THX_Princess

Aug 26, 2001
    And people say I freak out about spelling! :p SpeilbErg. My humble apologies. [face_blush]

The very reason I didn't like A.I. was because the whole darn movie was sad, sad, sad! Nothing good ever happened to poor David. I go to the movies to be entertained, not to be depressed. The people who like A.I. usually have a different view of movies than I do--apparently it's art. ;) Just kidding, I know it is really an art form: I am hoping to someday create movies. :)

23. Achtung_Bubba

Achtung_Bubba Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    "Erm... he started acting human right after the mother activated the personality chip. That's when all of the human traits like compassion, competition, anger, and love started flooding in."

He certainly had EMOTIONS like humans, but his behavior didn't match human actions, from the laughing scene to sitting in the bottom of the swimming pool. Had he genuinely behaved like a human, the film would have truly addressed whether his "mother" could love him despite the SINGLE difference of "hardware," making for a strong analogy to racial prejudice - an analogy that seemed to be reinforced by both the first speech and the treatment by the other kids.

You're right that Kubrick *could* create a warm, passionate film, and I would say Spartacus is another great example. But, at the same time, his usual style seemed to be a lot colder, as shown in these films:

2001: A Space Oddysey
    A Clockwork Orange (a GREAT film)
    The Shining
    Full Metal Jacket
    Eyes Wide Shut

24. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Do you know I haven't seen either AOTC trailer at the cinema, even though I go regularly?
    It's a conspiracy, I tells ya! :)

25. THX_Princess

Aug 26, 2001
    Unless you live in a big city that actually has NICE theatres, it really is better on your computer anyway. Plus you don't have to put up with people muttering about Jar Jar during the trailer. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.