main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official 'Clone War' reaction thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by JohnnyboyVT, Feb 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REBEL_SKUM

REBEL_SKUM Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2000
    I've watched it at LEAST 10 times now and I'm still trying to make out some stuff in the battle it goes by so fast. I think that it's great though.... it's the perfect tease, I know it's epic and I know it's amazing but the way it's done it makes you want more.... and more we shall get on may 16th.

Just a little side not, here is a pet peve.... a major complaint of TPM is that it is boring slow moving, not enough action... however a major complaint of this trailer is that it's too fast moving, and it goes by to fast, People got what they wanted now there complaining the other way . I'm not harking on people who are critisizing it but did not make that critisism for tpm... I'm mearly stating that it's an observation I made.

Just to repeat myself the fact that you can't get a feeling of exactly what is going on is great... who amongst us doesn't want to see more, after getting a taste of the battle? and think if you could see the battle clearly (which I'm no doubt sure will be a reality in the movie) I'm sure a great deal more people would be complaining about the amount of spoilage. Just My opinion.

2. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    Tsk, tsk, people.

I'm surprised you don't know your SW history (or real history), Palpatine is using his power to wipe out the "competiton".
    The very same people that got him into power are a threat (Trade Federation, corrupt Senators, etc.) and need to be eliminated as just as the Jedi need to be.

"Leave no one to oppose you.zz"
    It's in the rule book on "How to be a Dictator", page 3,

I think Ep.3 is where the TF and the "engines of commerce" get their comeuppance.

3. Darth-Mouth

Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 1999
    I think Dooku and Palpy are on the same side, because Dooku is leading the separatists, right? And the Trade Federation (along with the Commerce Guild, etc.) are presumably the ones separating.

We KNOW that Palpatine used the Trade Federation as pawns before, so why not do it again? Make them think they're rebelling when in fact they're being used to give him an excuse to build an army tailor-made to destroy the Jedi.

Dooku is a convenient lacky to oversee the separatist end of things while Palpatine continues to wield power over the Republic.

While the clones may fight against the droids in EPII, you KNOW that they'll be used against the Jedi in EPIII, along with a certain evil one named Darth Vader.

The only question is who is in charge?

4. JediStocky

JediStocky Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 26, 2001
    I'm of the opinion that the trailer looked fan-bloody-tastic. You can never have too much sabre action.

5. Darth Garrett

Darth Garrett Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2000
    The thing that stuck out most, for me, was the CG Yoda. Yech, he needs some work. They shoulda stuck with the puppet. I am looking forward to the asteroid chase and the scuffle between Jango and Obi Wan on the landing pad. I'm also excited about Count Dooku.

6. PruneF8ce

PruneF8ce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    ***For in depth conversation about the CGI in AOTC please discuss here:

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=6004397&replies=10

This thread shouldnt turn into an SFX debate. Thank you.

7. GenoSuke

GenoSuke Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2002
    The movie looks absolutly...BRILLANT!!! :D

It seems to have plenty of atmoshere and action. Something which was missing from TPM.

Not so sure aout some of the dialogue though. Some of it sounds a little recycled from the other films. It does however seem to contain some wit which is a good thing.

That Holonet news thing is a great idea to. Suddenly things look a little more focused on entertaining and not just making lots of moolah. :)

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Also, I was wondering... the EU talks about Jedi Masters being cloned, and so far we only see Clonetroopers. Is this going to happen or did George incinerate that little tidbit of EU lore along with Boba Fett's beginnings?<<

To my knowledge, there is never any mass-cloning of Jedi Masters mentioned in the EU, just one or two who didn't have much to do with the actual Clone Wars (except, obviously, for Palpatine, but we have no idea when he actual started cloning himself), so don't expect to see them. Also, as an aside, Fett's EU history has not been "incinerated" yet, since the EU never touched on his childhood and what has been established doesn't take place until after Episode 3. It's all very neat that way::)

>>And finally, are the Clone Wars going to end in this movie, or continue on through Ep.III?<<

I don't know for certain, but I'm gonna say its pretty likely the Clone Wars won't end till episode 3. Yoda's line "Begun, this Clone War has." would logically have to occur either during or after the battle the clones fight in as seen in the trailer which i think can be safely assumed to be at the end of the movie. Palpatine will still need reason to increase the republics military to a state where he can declare himself Emperor, and I would imagine the continuation of the Clone Wars during the 2 year period between AOTC and episode 3 leading to some kind of climax would provide the nessasary environment to do so.

9. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    I'm a little disappointed in the new trailer, there weren't that many scenes with Jedi in them. Wink, wink, nudge nudge.

10. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Silent_Assassin, If you are really looking for answers, than I'm afraid you are on the wrong boards. Most of us here know very little info of the outcome of this movie (or are TRYING to avoid it). Those are questions that might be answered the spoiler-allowed boards. And if you find out, please don't tell me! I wanna be surprised ;)

On topic:
    Trailer: Wow.
    Obi: LOVE HIM! Hehe, great lines.
    Ani: winced at the "Excuse me.." line, but I like his interaction with Obi so far.
    Palpy: shudder, just so darn evil!

And as a non-spoiled person, I am very happy I watched it :D

11. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person at the JC that likes all the dialogue heard so far.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Which brings up an interesting question- if we hadn't seen ANH, ESB and ROTJ and had only seen TPM, would we still think Palpatine was evil? Even based on this trailer, it's hard to say...

13. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    I cant stop watching the trailer. There is so much going on, and I love it. For many reasons. One, in particular, is the designs. I love the art in each Star Wars movie but now we're seeing the bridge gapped between the OT and the PT. Great stuff! Anakin being condescending to afraid-to-fly Obi-Wan is cool. The trailer is great and I cant wait to see it.

Isurus

14. AnakenX

AnakenX Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2002
    i'm taken away ! the fighting sequences are just unbelievable ! it's not true ! u heared palpy when he said , "i will create a grand army for the republic" ??? this is a super line ! it makes you feel the power !
    a grand army ! u saw when the jedi are trapped in between the droids ? or when mace windu runs with his pink saber ! OOHH MY YODA! CGI just owns ! he's so bright now ! so beautiful ! but if they could do the voice more fitting into the CGI ... NP really ! i love it !

15. Mecca-Don

Mecca-Don Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    I thought the "Clone War" trailer was incredible. I actually dreamed about it, sunday night after I saw it. I know that's pathetic but that's what happens when you watch something over again repeatedly. My favorite parts were of course the huge battle at the end and seeing Anakin fighting with two lightsabers. Hey, Jedi knight Pozzi, I had no problems with the dialogue either so you're not alone.

16. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    I really dug the trailor, I didn't feel it gave away too much at all. I also liked how the story seems to focus on Obi-wan a great deal, I was worried the Anakin thing might overshadow everyone else.

Also, this is just me, I am completely un-spoiled, but I have a feeling that the Obi-wan that Dooku talks to is a clone. I am convinced there will be a CLONE Obi-wan running around doing something, I have no idea, so I guess we'll see.

17. Jedi Without a Cause

Jedi Without a Cause Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2000
    Coupla little things after watching the trailer a few (20) more times.

1) The shots of the chase through coruscant. Are they backwards? Obi-wan says "You know I hate it when you do that." Then "sorry master I forgot you don't like flying." then anakin jumps out and obi says "I hate it when he does that." It seems like the first line should come AFTER the the third line when obi and ani meet back up after anakin jumps. Anyway, no big deal just thought of that.

2) The ship with the sails: I thought it looked sorda like an escape pod.

3) That 20th century fox logo SCREAMS cgi!! Why can't they go back to the old logo?? ;-)

Still no clue what's going on in the movie. Going off to watch the trailer again.

-JWAC

18. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    JWAC, I think the first line, "You know I hate it when you do that" takes place AFTER they fly through the power couplings (shown in the Mystery trailer).

Makes sense to me.

Pozzi, you're not the only one who likes the dialogue! ;)

I thought Anakin delivered that security line really well! It sounds like he wants to be tough but at the same time there's tension in his voice because he knows Padme is gonna be pissed at him for saying it, so he's not TOTALLY sure of himself.

19. FOX1973

FOX1973 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2001
    Note about the 'sail' ship-

Take a look at the Art of Episode I book.
    One of the original designs for the Queen's royal ship was very similar, if not the same design.

This text appears alongside a sketch:

Originally the Queen's ship was to be a yacht powered by a solar sail. When the ship needed to go into hyperspace, the sail would fold up, and the ship would rocket off. One version came very close to being the final design, until Lucas decided he wanted a sleek, chrome ship.

20. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    It occurs to me; can anyone spot Yoda in the arena? I imagine he'd be there, if anywhere, fighting.

21. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    I looked for him, Pozzi. He ain't there.

BUT despite reports to the contrary Jar Jar IS in the trailer, in one of the scenes in Palpatine's office. The one where everyone is looking at the hologram of Obi-Wan just before he ignites his lightsaber.

22. Silent_Assassin

Silent_Assassin Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2002
    "Also, as an aside, Fett's EU history has not been "incinerated" yet, since the EU never touched on his childhood and what has been established doesn't take place until after Episode 3."

Good call The2ndQuest, I didn't think of it that way!

And don't worry Gay-LenKenobi, I'm spoiler free and just interested in opinions.

Now that we have seen all the trailers, Ep.II looks like a solid movie. Even if this was not in the SW Universe, it is still quite an ambitious undertaking.

George is attempting to cover politics, war, developing love, and a conspiracy, with an all-encompassing mystery overlaid on the story.

After being mildly disappointed with TPM, I'm trying to not get my hopes up for AOTC, but after Clone War, I'm seriously excited!

23. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    I've tried to avoid this forum, but everywhere else is so boring :p

A very cool trailer, if a bit muddled towards the end. Is everyone in that arena? Mace, Obi, Padmé, bug people, creatures, C-3PO, R2, Jango, Clones, TF...A little too much going on?

Still, cool :D

24. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    Too much going on in the trailer? Possibly, especially at the end.

But it's a trailer, not the movie itself. It's meant to overwhelm you I think.

I expect things will be a little more dilluted in the film.

25. Dionysus

Dionysus Jedi Master star 1

Jun 29, 2001
    Someone else has probably mentioned this, but after seeing the trailer, this was my take on the role of Dooku.

It seems to me that, if Palpatine is to become emperor, then he must have a good army behind him. But to create an army, he needs a formidable enemy, so that he can convince the Republic to fund a military build up. So, he creates (or wins the allegiance of) an enemy: the separatists, which are led by Dooku. Thus, Palpatine and Dooku orchestrate the conflict between the Republic and the Separatists, in order to build up the army that will back Palpatine as he destroys the Republic.

I would wager that Dooku is Palpatine's new apprentice ("Always two there are...A master and an apprentice"), and he is trying to trick Obi Wan with his "join me" act.

Anyway, that's what I've come up with. I'm pretty much totally unspoiled (haven't been around here for months), so I'm probably (hopefully) way off base.

Dionysus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.