main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official 'Clone War' reaction thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by JohnnyboyVT, Feb 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lan-Ker

Lan-Ker Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2001
    Out-freaking-standing! My personal favorite was Ani force-grabing a second lightsaber while dueling Dooku! The complaints about the movie looking too CG are overblown. Compare the battlescenes from the trailer to the Death Star battle in ANH (you can almost see the TIEs go down the wires) and tell me which is preferred. It is silly to talk about which of the four trailers is best. Each do their job effectively. Together they paint a broadbrush for the viewer and invite them to come and see the details filled in. Lucas, I love you man!

2. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    I loved Palpitine manipulating everone, and Ani Graing the Second Lightsaer to Duel with Dooku, This will be one awsome Movie!

3. muymaul

muymaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 1999
    This trailer was great! It was so fast paced that it was hard to keep all of the images in my head. I will admit that this is a trailer that I will not try to view frame-by-frame. I think that will spoil some of the scenes.

I don't understand all of this talk about things looking too CGI. I understand that you don't want them to take you out of your enjoyment of watching the movie, but were they really that bad? I have to think that ILM isn't finished polishing up a lot of those images. Still, I can't see how Lucas would be able to reproduce any of those battle scenes without CGI.

4. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    There are somethings that may not even be CG but you think they are. To me, the hallway where Yoda is hovering looks like a painting (like how they did the interior chasm of the Death Star in ANH). They still do use matte paintings at ILM, as far as I know.

Also, the music at the end sounds a bit confusing. With a better musical score, those scenes will feel like the battle scenes we're all used to. The music does contribute a huge part to how a movie feels.

5. MountainMan

MountainMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 11, 2001
    Now that my gusher side has simmered down, it's time to take a critical look:

While I have no doubt the film will be awesome (as was The Phantom Menace) I was a bit surprised at how "sloppy" this newest trailer felt. It just wasn't as tightly edited as Mystery or Forbidden Love. The images and dialoge are great, but it just seemed like it was randomly slapped together with little coherency throughout.

Anyway, that's as close to a basher as I'll ever come!

6. Lan-Ker

Lan-Ker Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2001
    The soundtrack in the trailers will not be the same as the movie. It is all music produced in prior movies. The scenes jump around so fast it can't be the same music. Don't worry, John will come through...

7. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    Mountain Man: This one was not as focused as the others, as you said. I do find, however, that this is more of a "general" overview of the movie, thus trying to incorperate a longer and perhaps a more complex movie in a series of quick scenes. That is why, I believe, this one seems to "bounce around" a lot to give the quick synopsis.

8. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    When Anakin jumped off his Speeder, what was he planning to do? Run on foot?

9. Assassin

Assassin Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2000
    I absolutely loved the trailer!

I'd post more but I'm really busy at work today!

10. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    Maybe Anikin is so arrogant that he thinks he can fly...

11. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    I thought it was as cohesive as any full trailer I've seen. It revolved around the main separatist conflict, with Obi Wan's troubles dealing with Anakin being worked in there as well.

As for "The kids won't understand it", my response to that is "Good!" As Justin mentions, we didn't get everything about the first films when we were little either, and as we got older, more of the story would reveal itself to us, making for a much more enjoyable experience in the long term.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... spaceships, lightsabers and creatures automatically create the necessary appeal for the youngest viewers. Lucas doesn't need to talk down to them... they'll dig the hell out of it on a superficial level at first, and as they get older they'll begin to grasp the finer plot points. That's how the OT was, and IMHO that's how the PT ought to be.

12. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    For all we know, maybe he did.

13. muymaul

muymaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 1999
    I tend to think that the trailer was pieced together in the way it was in order *not* to give away too much of the plot.

14. jedi_named_patrick

jedi_named_patrick Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2002
    where the hell can i get an mpeg of the new trailer, i had my VCR set to record, and i left the house and came back later with the power off. goddamn brown outs. anyway... i already have the first 3 trailers that i got from morpheus, but i cant find the ATOC one, but you bet ya ass that i am gonna see Ice Age on Fri.

15. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    Please don't provide links to the trailer other then at the Official site or Apple... definately do not post them.

No Posting them, do not post them.. right?

[I thought I've seen links before as long as the clip wasn't an exclusive clip like the Mystery trailer - D23

16. FOX1973

FOX1973 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2001
    One point about the CG- I've found watching TPM on a regular TV has the effect of making the CG look very noticeable, as everything's condensed.
    On a bigger screen, the definition is less, the quality is not quite as good (tho certainly not bad!) and the CG looks a lot better.
    In our house we have a 32" WS and a 44" WS plasma, and that pretty much got rid of any CG complaints.
    I'm guessing a lot of people have either seen the new trailer on a monitor (perhaps only as small or medium) and/or on a regular TV screen.
    Once it's up on a cinema screen, that 'video-game' feel will disappear.
    Also, the TPM trailer's featured several 'unfinished' FX shot's, which were tightened up or added to before release.
    But personally, I have no complaints! It looked great!

17. jedi_named_patrick

jedi_named_patrick Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2002
    thanks darth, but is it savable, i mean is it in quicktime and is it going to be all jumpy as quicktime always is (for me anyways)?

18. ozzelwasframed

ozzelwasframed Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    Let me clarify my thoughts on the Love and Clone trailers seeming like two different movies.

When you combine them, we are allowed to see both so much and so little. The "so much" being the enormous, grandious shots like no others we've ever seen in SW; and the "so little" being not enough info for us to piece it all together. Which is the whole point of a trailer, right? In addition to Coruscant, Naboo and Tatooine, we are also treated to at least two or three additional planets, or environments -- not to mention the obligatory space battles. It's just all so...BIG!

I know Lucas and Co. will piece this enormous amount of material together just right. I know that. But unfortunately -- or fortunately -- it's going to go by so fast in two-and-a-half hours, only repeated viewings will satisfy the majority of us.

And I think the CG in the new trailer is absolutely amazing, even if final touches haven't yet been applied.

19. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    I've read a lot of comments on other boards complaining about the CG. Some people keep complaining that George should use models and old-school FX. That is funny, because if George used restraint and made these films look like the OT, and used minimal CG, every fanboy and then some would be complaining that he isn't showing us anything new or utilizing the technology that's out there. I for one thought that the CG was amazing and I think this film will blown everyone's minds!!

20. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Okay, well I still can't stop watching the damned trailer! The movie itself CAN'T be as good as the trailer makes it look... can it?

("Basher", though I've been accused of being...) ;)

21. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Favourite shot from the trailer: 1:31 - it's all coming together.

How many times have everyone watched it? Only 10 times now for me. I didn't even watch the Mystery trailer that much.

22. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    I've only watched ti 3 or 4 times.

I think it's possible to burn out on the movie by watching the trailer too much, so that when the whole movie finally comes around, a lot of really impressive stuff will seem like old hat.

23. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    This new trailer doesn't hold a candle to TPM trailer that makes it look like the Clone Wars dominated TPM. (Oh, how I want to see the movie implied in that TPM trailer!) The only AOTC trailer that got me excited was the first one, the one with the Darth Vader breathing in the background, and it ends with a snippet of a lightsabre fight. That's pretty cool.

The Good and the Bad:

First off, why the Sarlacc music in the beginning? That didn't really fit. Anyway...

Bad: Anakin's yellow speeder looked corny, and he didn't deliver his lines with feeling.

Good: Ewan delivered all his lines well.

Good: Anakin and Palpatine talking. Notice the very Emperor-like way Palpatine holds his hands out here.

Bad: Hayden's delivery again: "Excuse me, I'm in charge of security here, milady."

Bad: "Grand Army of the Republic"? Is this a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away; or is it 19th-century USA?

Good: Dooku was cool.

Bad: Those weird, spindly humanoid CGI critters; the ones briefly seen in stands at the beginning, then later on running up to C-3PO and R2-D2, then trying to get Padme. They look terrible. When they run they bob up-and-down like those stupid little CGI munchkin-things on The Mummy Returns. In fact, they sound like them too.

Bad: Yoda's appearance. Awful, simply awful. Dust off that ESB muppet!

Bad: Yoda's delivery of line: "Begun, this clone war...has." "Sandstorms are very...very dangerous." That really needs to be fixed.

Bad: The big battle at the end. I'm sorry, but it looks computer gamish. It looked as busy as all Hades, and I am very doubtful that the actors will really seem like they're interacting with all the CGI stuff. The snippets shown (particularly of Padme) leave me feeling glum.

So, my tally is 7 bads and 3 goods. "Dear oh dear." :(

24. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Disco_Dark_Jeedai Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    I would have to say that, I too, was disapointed. I had heard all the "Showest" hype and the trailer didn't measure up. There are some good things in the trailer but overall, I wasn't impressed. Now, I am starting to worry.

When Hayden was first picked as Anakin I watched his series "Higher Learning" and from that I didn't care for the way he spoke his lines. Most of the time in that series I had a hard time even understanding him. I was concerned that it would carry over to AOTC and regretfully, it has.

His:

"Excuse me, I'm in charge of security here, milady." not to mention "I should be the most powerful Jedi" and "It's all Obi Wan's fault"

lines are all really bad. I hope he gets better.

Some of the CG scenes looked really bad too. The scene where Mace was fighting and Padme shooting from atop something both look like they were shot in front of the blue screen. Those scenes really didn't "mesh" together.

I did like the part with Palpatine and Anakin walking together. If you look at the scene when they cut away to the far shot, it looks so much like the Emperor and Vader walking together. That rocks!

I just hope that the movie is better as a whole than it is from the parts I have seen.

25. Jace Taran

Jace Taran Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2000
    You guys do have to realize that it is not an actors fault if dialogue is flat or corny. They didn't write it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.