main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Clone Wars Cartoon Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sith1137, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    well im not sure if this goes here, but Aintitcoolnews.com just posted this
    http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=14524

its the official cartoon network release schedule for 2003/2004 or pretty close to it.

at the bottom it shows that the Clone War cartoon will be shown this year in 2-3 min(kinda short) short stories.

wasnt sure if i should post it here because it is somewhat EU related, so once again if this doesnt belong here go ahead and lock it.

but i wonder if it will tie into any of the Clone War novels that are coming out...

dp4m Edit: Okay -- it looks like this is a done deal. Let's keep the discussion confined to this thread and happy hunting... ;)

2. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I've made this the official thread up in the Announcements too.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So... here's what I'm confused about with this whole thing...

Star Wars: Clone Wars continues the saga where the live action feature film Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones left off - at the beginning of the Clone Wars, an epic civil war that pits the old Republic against a vast separatist movement led by the forces of evil.

and...

Each episodic short will be two- to three-minutes in length and will air exclusively on Cartoon Network at regularly scheduled times during the network's regular programming beginning later this fall.

"episodic shorts of 2- to 3-minutes of an epic" sounds like "I move as stealthily as possible while running full-speed" which, of course, MAKES NO SENSE!

4. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    It?s all just buzzwords.

5. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    2 - 3 minute short cartoons sounds sucky.

How can one tell a complete story in 2-3 minutes when most cartoons need at least 15 minutes to get anywhere.

It sounds like the clone wars is going to be reduced into something like a looney toons kind of thing...

I'd rather have a 15-20 minute story per episode.

6. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    But how will we get it in England? :(

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    This sucks! How on earth can they tell a story with an hour of animated time divided into 2-3 minute segmets?

Mace Windu arrived on the planet Selaggis Prime and encounters a army of Trade Federation battle droids. The droids surround his ship and Mace Windu prepares for battle.

Find out what happens to Mace next week when the Clone Wars continue!

Mace Windu ignites his lightsaber and dances for a few moments when Droid reinforcements arrive

Mace is hit by blasterfire and runs away from the engagement zone.

Bah, I'd rather have no cartoon than 20 2-3 minute cartoons.

8. Apophis

Apophis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    That's a good question A-WingsRule ...
    Will it also be at the rest of the world?

And the length ***ks !
    I'm thrilled tough ... :D

BTW : LOL @ Errant_Venture! :D

9. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Just as long as we have clone troopers.
    Hey- maybe they should do one of Aaron Allston's story.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The 2 to 3 minute thing seems dissapointing- then again there have been SW video game cut scenes even shorter than that that have proved to be pretty entertaining, so this should be interesting.

Perhaps, if successful, they'll expand it into a 15 or 30 minute long episode format next year.

Though, I'm concerned if they really do take place immediately after AOTC, if we'll have to worry about contradictions to NDA & GBG:CC.

11. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I think it will probably air on the UK's own Cartoon Network on satelitte.

12. Xenomaniac

Xenomaniac Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 8, 2000
    "As Clone Wars unfolds the valiant Jedi Knights lead the Republic's Clone Army against many new and ruthless adversaries across the galaxy. These new characters, epic battles and intricate stories will add an exciting new dimension to the Star Wars saga."

How can the battles be epic and the stories be intricate with only 2-3 minutes of screen time?

20 episodes * 2-3 min = 40-60 min total

some shows take entire seasons of 60 minute episodes to be intricate

not that I am complaining, I will enjoy these nonetheless. . .

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "The 2 to 3 minute thing seems dissapointing- then again there have been SW video game cut scenes even shorter than that that have proved to be pretty entertaining, so this should be interesting."

This is true but you forget to mention that the cutscenes while entertaining don't tell the entire story, the interactive sections tell a majority of the story, and those carry bulk of the time of the game.

14. REBADAMS7

REBADAMS7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Id rather have 2-3 grat minutes than 30 medicore ones. It might be in a serial format - ie play 1 or 2 episodes over and over each day - alowing us to keep up with it without being chained to the TV - (Time to get TiVo!)
    Reb

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "2-3 grat minutes than 30 medicore ones"

well, 2-3 mediocre ones would be just as bad as 30 minute mediocre ones. Just as 2-3 minute good ones could be as good as 30 minute good ones.

The only difference, while you could have 2-3 minute good ones, as well as 2-3 minute mediocre ones, I'd rather have a longer, at least 15 minute story, cliffhangers are fine of course.

16. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    Well, with the 2-3 minute timeframe, each episode runs between cartoon network's regular programming.

And I don't watch CN often enough to wait around for a clone episode that might not come.

I'm guessing that after each one debuts on CN, the episodes can be downloaded.

17. leif

leif Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 1999
    well i think its official that everyone dislike the shortness of the episodes. 2-3 minutes or 3 hours each... i think we all would watch them regardless.

i pretty excited to see this happen. this is a big move on Lucas' part. allowing the SW universe to appear in another media format. this will probably pave the wave for future spinoffs or maybe even animated movies. i would love to see a few japanese anime artists get a crack at an hour or 2 hour EU movie.

does anyone know the style they will be using? 3d or Cell Animation? It better look greater than the various video game cut scenes.

a big concern will be continuity... is this cannon... how will this fit into the clone wars novels and comics hitting the shelves in the next couple years.

18. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Maybe it will be be one story for every 4-5 eps, so they can be joined up into about 5, 12 min eps.

19. Ghent

Ghent Lucas Online star 1 VIP

Jun 25, 2000
  20. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Sweet! The picture looks pretty cool! :cool:

EDIT: Ghent, ya beat me to it!

One problem, though. In the article, Asajj's last name is spelled differently each time it's mentioned. Is it Ventriss or Ventress?

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    There's still the turmoil between Anakin and Obi-Wan, and the overall plot by Palpatine.

Oh?

So they're outright saying it now? ;)

22. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    The picture does indeed look pretty sweet. Samurai Jack is one of the most well-drawn cartoons on air right now, IMO, and I think that style will suit Star Wars admirably.

That being said, this is the worst idea in a history of bad ideas in Star Wars cartoons. Holiday Special cartoon, the "Droids" series....*sigh*. 3 minute shorts? What kind of a story can you tell in 2-3 minutes?

JMA

23. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    Samurai Jack is one the greatest cartoons I've ever seen

I just wish they were longer

24. leif

leif Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 1999
    well. that surely looks like the Sith Witch Doug Chaing designed in the picture.

25. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Am I to understand that you people like what you're seeing in that picture?

"Genndy Tartakovsky and the team at Cartoon Network are tops in their field," said Howard Roffman, president of Lucas Licensing. "Their work on 'Samurai Jack' shows that they can tell an epic story in a unique way, lavishing equal attention on dramatic battle scenes as well as dramatic development of the characters."

This is, without a doubt, one of the WORST ideas I have ever seen come to light in a long time.

Tartakovsky et al are not 'tops in their field' they are simply on top by making a popular show. Haiyao Miyazaki and Studio Gimli are tops in their field. And by that rationale, Matt Stone and Trey Parker are 'tops in their field' with South Park. Maybe they should do the Clone Wars cartoon.

Oh my god, they killed Mace!
    You bastards!

Yeah, I'm not laughing either.

Don't get me wrong, I like Samurai Jack, it's a great show- but is that art style right for Star Wars? I think not.

Also, I find the concept of 2-4 minute shorts highly dubious and not getting the attnetion something like the Clone Wars needs to flesh out what has the potential to be an incredibly deep and epic story and the opportunity to introduce numerous new characters (regardless of LFLs hype). Instead, we'll get basically simplistic plots spread out over a long period and probably at irregular time spots that people might miss.

This to me is merely LFL cashing in on a trend by picking the current most popular annimation team in hopes of riding their coat tails and cashing in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.