main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ark The OFFICIAL Collections Thread--post your pics!!!

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by otisdodge, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    I hope I am not too out of line in starting this new thread. I think it should be separate from The Toy Box because that thread should be about the toys, searching for them, buying them, etc.

This thread is about your COLLECTION. Strategies, philosophies, display and what-not. What do you collect? Why? Where do you put it all?

I will put up pics of my collection room soon and encourage you to talk about yours and post pics...

I worked on my collection room last night. Took down some stuff and put up some new stuff--all my assorted E3 troopers are down, but I have a 6-man Shock Trooper squad, 6-man U Clone squad, and an 18-man 501st army with Anakin in the lead. I also put all my Unleashed on one shelf with the 25th anniversary two packs behind them: Unleashed Ani (e3), Ventress, Bossk, Han, Lt. Trooper and Aayla.

I re-arranged the Bust-ups/mini sabers shelf to look better and fit all the troopers. I put all the sabers on top of their boxes so you could see them behind the bust-ups and I put some of the bust-ups on top of the two army-builder pack boxes, so you could see the ones in the back row. I still had two that were sorta hidden, so I put them on a couple Hasbro action figure stands (stacked up) each.

Another shelf has a bunch of loose bust-ups. Ani (red-eyes) with 501st squad, Obi with U Clone squad and Palpy with Shock Trooper squad. Also a small army of Stormies and assorted others...

I'm thinking of tackling the carded figures I want to display on the walls next, but I might work on the plastic utility shelves first. They're a mess.

2. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    But I don't have a collection....

I just like to look at everyone elses.

[face_pig]

3. Nyborg13

Nyborg13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2004
    I dont think theres enough memory on the site to house all my pics. HAHA But I will try to get the over to Photobucket and link it to there so maybe people can get an idea.

4. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    I'm like 2 days away from finally having some new collection pics online.

5. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Okay, so it was more than 2 days...

http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/otisdodgecollection.htm

6. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Nobody else going to post theirs? ...or even comment on mine?

7. Nyborg13

Nyborg13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2004
    Ok fine I HATE YOU!
    HAHA no I really have alot more figures than you but only singles of each I wish I had your Trooper collection.
    I would post some pics but most arent that good from the pld house before the move. And Jacob you are the only one in the group to ever see it unpacked. Ofcourse it continus to grow.

8. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Seriously???

You should post those pics anyway, so people can peruse them and have something to reference when you finally get something set up at the new house by comparison.

Beej, get Darren to post some pics, and I know most of the rest of you have SW stuff on display, too. Get it up here!

9. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    I've made some pics of Conduit's room...just have to get them put on a disc and developed...they're on a film camera...

And well, I'm behind like on everything else.

:D

10. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Anybody else got a pic of their collections?

I don't have an organized colleciton so therefore... no pics.

(I cold bombard everyone with my extensive Obi-Wan Kenob image gallery....)

11. Kamikaze_TIE

Kamikaze_TIE Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2006
    My collection is at www.kamikazetie.tripod.com/costumepics/

12. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Good to see some folks getting into the old collection spirit.

13. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    link didn't work for me.

14. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    I don't think that he linked it right.

Kamakize...If you'll send me the correct web address...I'll post a link on here for you.

15. Kamikaze_TIE

Kamikaze_TIE Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2006
    sorry about that guys here is the correct address this better work if not i know i got it right on the 327th boards
    http://kamikazetie.tripod.com/costumepics/

16. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Nice collection.

Do you collect just new stuff...or is there some old stuff mixed in? Couldn't tell.

17. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    BUMP!

I'll put some new pics up soon. Post yours!

18. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    You know... I'd have to take a pic... and update photobucket... I'm kind of lazy...

But... you never know...

19. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    If you look at my above listed mission statement for this thread, part of what it's about is collecting philosophy.

I'm a focus collector. I was a completist once-upon-a-time--when I was living on student loans and rather new to the hobby. I got every figure (or nearly so) from the 2002 SAGA line (AOTC). Completism left me wanting and broke. At some point I decided I would just buy what I want, but I always had a focus collecting tendency.

First it was Darth Maul. When I began collecting the original carded Maul was very hard to find where I lived. Eventually my wife found a work friend who had one and she gave it to me as an Anniversary present (I think that says something about the rarity of that particular Maul in Utah at the time, that I still hadn't found one by Oct of that year when the E1 figs came out in April, right). So when I was visiting AR the next year and found TRU packed with a couple different Mauls, I couldn't resist getting some.

I stuck with Maul for a while, but certain collections are dangerous: too much to collect. I got tired of him anyway. At some point I decided R2 would become a focus, and then expanded it to all astromechs. I had the coolest R2 army for a while. Ironically, the droid factory lines killed that focus for me! At first, it was a dream come true--a bunch of new drioids! But then it became obvious that Hasbro was gonna bend me over on that one... The current Droid Factory two packs are a perfect example--I would really like some of those figures, but not at those prices! I am drooling over that Dark Trooper, but he's not worth $53 to me (that's $17 x 5, minus $32 for the 4/10 figures that I actually want--and that's not even counting the fact that I think multi-packs should be less than normal carded, not more).

Next I started army-building. Oh but that is an expensive habit! The height of this compulsion came in 2005 when all those wonderful colors of troopers really made it so much more fun! I would have loved to get a whole battalion-worth of 501st, but decided that I would build twenty-man "platoons." You can see the result in some of my collection pics from Yoda's News above.

I have now largely abandoned army-building as well-too expensive. You know I would love to have some Clone Wars battalions, but I can't afford that many. I don't even buy all the troopers that come out--just the ones I can't resist, and many of those I try to build a four-man squad. Kinda took that cue from the Republic Commandos.

Now I still get the figs I want, and some I really don't, when the dag-blasted droid factory is too tempting, but I am really cutting back. For the last few years I've been working on some new focus collections (I use the term working loosely--I'm not pursuing anything with gusto, but when stuff for these characters comes out, I try to catch it): Bossk. AT-AT Driver, TIE Pilot and Aayla Secura.

20. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    This is one of the reasons I have been thinking about my focus collecting a lot lately. Really puts mine to shame. Darn those LFL employees!

21. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Here is a thread at Yoda's News that has some more about my current collecting philosophy. See my last post in the thread. Incidentally I think dude was kind of an A-hole. He could have stated his case about my favorite character's "unremarkability" in a more tactful way, don't you think?

22. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    I love these threads where I am basically talking to myself! Sometimes, when it seems like Bacon and I are the only ones posting I wonder to myself if we shouldn't just be texting (the answer being: NO--hopefully cool people will read and eventually join in). Other threads like this one could practically be my blog. One of these days I'm gonna get around to blogging--ideally several different blogs: one for my family, one for art and a geek one for SW, collecting and the like. I may very well harvest some material from here for some of my first blogs.

Pics will be posted eventually...
    I got some new stuff for my focci: Dean Zachary sketch of Bossk, TIE Pilot sketch from Jim Hall, Lin Workman AT-AT Driver sketch card (full color) and a Tomy 1:6 scale AT-AT Driver helmet I think I mentioned in the other thread.

Also mentioned in the toy thread that I'm gonna work on completing a loose vintage collection. I wonder how long that would take me. If I get a couple a month it'll still be a few years.

23. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    But, it's always interesting to watch you talk to yourself.

My problem with post a pic of your collection is I'm too lazy to upload them somewhere so that I can download them...

Actually I never remember when I'm somewhere where the internet is fast and by the time I'm home I don't have to patience for 3 pictures to take 45 minutes to load...

But, eventually... I will do it....

24. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Lol!

That's okay--I keep putting it off til I clean and rearrange the collection room--hasn't happened yet! ;-P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.