1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!
  2. Welcome Guest. New feature: The Art of Disney…Now discussing:

MOD The OFFICIAL Comments, Complaints, and Suggestions Thread-(*Currently Discussing: Holiday Season*)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rox, May 31, 2002.

Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. Britany TFN Staff

VIP
    star 1

I am beginning to lean towards Rox's idea of letting him create it, or one of TFN's graphics guys. I think it will cause less problems and aggravation in the long run. I sense tension in this thread, and I think we'd all like to move on to more positive things :D.

ADONIAH32, I emailed you.

2. Jabachile Jedi Master

star 4
    I think that'd be cool, having present artsits work displayed on a banner.
  3. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    There's no possible way to include everyone, and in the end some feelings are bound to be hurt.

If people want a new banner, although I don't know why it's even an issue, let the mods decide what will be used and how.

Just my 2c.

-Otis
  4. Jabachile Jedi Master

star 4
    Frankly, Otis, I don't care. I'm just saying, if it were an issue, it'd be cool. You are right though, people would be hurt if they weren't included.

Eh, let's just get Carmine Infantino to do it for us ;)
  5. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    Now THAT'S an idea.

Is he still alive though? Eh, who cares. Even if he's dead, he could out-draw any one of us. ;)

-Otis
  6. ADONIAH32 Force Ghost

star 4
    I kind of agree with Otis. Why is this an issue?

But, I say let Rox whip something up, that way tension will be kept minimized.
  7. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    If the banner is goingo to be outsourced why not just get Dave Dorman to do the banner. :D
  8. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    How about Drew, Dave, Carmine and Doug Chiang? Should be simple enough.

-Otis
  9. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    *peeks in* Uh, hi guys. :D

I played a bit with the Photoshop yesterday and today and came up with a sort of a banner for the FA forum. I went through the first couple of pages of this forum and looked for some pieces that would fit a banner.

I was thinking that each month or so someone could volunteer to do the banner, using several people's works (it would be up to him/her which works). The only rule would be not to use a piece that was previously used, and not to use one artist too often - that way everyone gets a fair chance to have his/her art on the banner. :)

I posted my banner here. Please go there and tell me what you think. And here, please tell me what you think of this idea. ;)
  10. ADONIAH32 Force Ghost

star 4
    Mar, sounds like an idea that might work. And that would eliminate any hard feelings, as everyone would get to have their images used AND make a banner.

I posted my response to your banner, and I posted the one I made a while back too.
  11. Britany TFN Staff

VIP
    star 1

I posted my response in the other thread :)

12. TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Master

star 4
    I was trying really hard not to get involved in the banner business, but I guess I'm too much of a busybody to let it rest... ;)

Here's a thought - kind of adapting Mar's ideas. What if All the folks who are actually interested in making a banner - for all we know Adoniah's the only one - make themselves known somehow, to Rox or Mar. Let's say there are maybe 4 people. Then just draw a name out of a hat, and that person makes the banner (and hopefully asks for feedback). Cheveyo had some good banner suggestions over in Mar17's thread since we can't use other artist's work.

Then in a few months we do it all over again. The idea that someone will be left out, not get to make a banner, well at this point (not to sound rude) but get over it. It's just a banner. Life will move on, and maybe you'll get to make one in a few months. I think we're all trying very hard to be fair, so don't take it as a personal attack that you were not "randomly" selected. :D

And now, I walk away.... ;)
    ~Baroness
  13. Cheveyo Force Ghost

star 5
    Edit: Nevermind... it was just another mindless rant. ;)
  14. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I just came across this thread...(I haven't been here for a while, you know how work and studying for SATs and finals can get) Anyway, I just want to say that the changes that are stated on the first page sound good. The idea of having official threads and a contest sound cool.

Also, I was skimming through the posts...and I read something about artists having their own threads that they update. Is this going to happen? That idea sounds pretty neat.
  15. Cheveyo Force Ghost

star 5
    Rox said he was looking into getting the forums set up so we can edit our own posts and titles. That would be great if that can happen!!
  16. Jabachile Jedi Master

star 4
    How about Drew, Dave, Carmine and Doug Chiang? Should be simple enough.

Na, we need a bit of Ian McCaig ;)

Actually, I don't know if Carmine's still with us. I know that Swan is dead, I'm pretty sure Neal Adams is around, Frank Miller is of course.

BTW...Which Dave do you speak of?

Eh, screw it....Let's just dig up 'ol Bob Kane to do it!
  17. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    "BTW...Which Dave do you speak of?"

Dave Dorman.

He did a lot of stuff in the 90s for comics, magazines and the like.

If you want to see some of his work, just "Google" him. :D

Sounds dirty EVERY time I say it.

-Otis
  18. Jabachile Jedi Master

star 4
    Ah Otis, you can't help but let that inner adolescent come out sometimes! ;)

I'm not really into newer comics. I first got into comics from reading a book celebrating 60 years of DC comics (either that or 50- to lazy to get up and find it). It was then I was introduced to classic artists as well as Bruce Timm and maybe a couple of other newer ones.

It was then I bought "Batman: Animated", "Batman: A History", and "Superman: A History". Shortly after came "Kingdom Come".

The older artists are just captivating. Though the style of men like Kane and Swan can be very simple, it's just so great. Adams was the first real "modern" guy I got into- what an artist!
  19. ADONIAH32 Force Ghost

star 4
    Cheveyo: What do you mean?
  20. Cheveyo Force Ghost

star 5
    ADONIAH32: About what?
  21. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    It's complaint time.

I would address this directly to TF.N's Fan Art staff, but I want others to see what has been done to my work.

I've had two of my newest Star Wars pieces destroyed by the Fan Art webmaster. I'll complain this one time, and leave it at that.

This is not the first time I've had problems with the Fan Art board, so I'll simply stop submitting to them. I have my own site, and I've been giving artwork to TF.N out of habit, I suppose. But for those who still submit, and for those who will continue to submit, I want you to know the score.

Compare this image:

TFN

To this one:

Mine

Compare this image:

TFN

To this one:

Mine

See the difference? I sure did when I happened upon them at TF.N's Fan Art Board. Actually I was stunned. It looks like my images were left out in the sun for days.

The moral of the story is this: when you submit your image, insist that they be posted "as is" and unaltered.

These images of mine were clearly adjusted, brightening them up and completely destroying the richness of the colors and the mood of the individual pieces. Clearly, the original images are dark, but that was intentional. The webmaster in charge of posting them obviously thought that a "mistake" had been made and set about to "corrrect" it.

The mistake was mine, it turns out. Learn from it.

On another note, when and if you venture out into the professional world, the same rule applies. Do whatever you can to involve yourself in the printing side of your published work. This is a complaint I see and hear a lot . . nothing is ever printed the way an artist wants.

I would have thought things were different here in the digital realm.

*sigh*

-Otis
  22. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    There has definately been some changes with the brightness/contrast and the filesize is different so you know it was messed with. Have you complained to Britany yet?
  23. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    <<Have you complained to Britany yet?>>

No, I have not. As I said, I wanted others to know what was going on.

If you think it will make a difference for other, I will. But I won't be offering art to TFN's Fan Art Board anymore. I have a site of my own for that, now.

-Otis
  24. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Please do, if they are altering FanArt it has to be stopped.
  25. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    Done.

We'll see what happens.

-Otis
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider