1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!
  2. Welcome Guest.

New feature: The Art of Disney…Now discussing:

MOD The OFFICIAL Comments, Complaints, and Suggestions Thread-(*Currently Discussing: Holiday Season*)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rox, May 31, 2002.

Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. Britany TFN Staff

VIP
    star 1

Otis Frampton - a reply has been sent (via email).

2. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
  3. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    Up again, just in case . .

-Otis
  4. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    Up once again, just in case anyone has something to say to the new Mod.

-Otis
  5. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    I'd like to take a minute to address some issues that were raised when this thread began. I'd also like to talk about some ideas I have about the Forum, also.

1. Redundant Threads: One of my pet peeves in forums is redundant threads. :_| Around the Fan Art Forum, most redundant threads fall into 2 categories; "How do you . .", and "Here's a new image from . . ". To avoid this problem, I suggest that all "How do you . ." queries should go into the Tools & Techniques Thread, The Lightsaber How-to Thread or the The *OFFICIAL* Photoshop Thread. These 3 threads cover all of these topics, and more. As for "Here's a new image from . . " threads, I suggest that if you are an artist and you want to share your work with everyone, start ONE thread for all of your work and update it as needed. Every post you make in the Fan Art Forum can be edited at any time (thanks to Rox) and I have no intention of changing this as long as people are using it.

Let's keep things tidy 'round these parts, ya' hear? :D

2. The *NEW* Fan Art Challenge: Yes, it has been reborn with the new year. :cool: Go check it out:

The *NEW* Fan Art Challenge

3. Featured Artist: This idea was brought up a while back, and I think it is a good one. :) So . . once a month we will feature one of the artists from either the Forum or the Fan Art Museum and have them tell everyone a little bit about themself and their techniques (such as: what medium they like to use, where they learned their craft, etc). As suggested, the community will have nothing to do with selecting who the monthly artist is. That decision will fall to me, in an effort to avoid debates (read: arguments) about who should or should not be featured. My reasoning behind this - in the spirit of community, I don't want to see this devolve into a popularity contest (or worse, a smear campaign). I will be an active participant in this forum and will also look through entries at the Fan Art Museum each month in my search for candidates. I will do my best to make my selection process fair and the choice of artists interesting.

4. A Dedicated Fan Art Museum: This issue was raised and I have a very simple answer: TheForce.net already has one: :D

TFN FanArt Museum

If you want to showcase your artwork in a way not related to the Forum, you'll have to get yourself a website. You can find helpful information about web-hosting here:

The Official Web Hosting Thread

5. A Dedicated Mod: I plan to be the best Mod I can be. [face_mischief] I love Star Wars Fan Art and I want this Forum to be a fun place to share our work. I'll be here as much as I can and I plan to be a very active part of the Fan Art Forum. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. You can:

-PM me via the Forum's message service
    -E-mail me at: otf4@hotmail.com
    or
    -IM me via Yahoo Messanger: otisframpton (I'm not always on, though)

See you around,

Otis
  6. Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Master

star 4
    i was looking back at this thread, and reading all the stuff that went on before i found this place...

Top marks in getting the 'featured artist' thingy off the ground Otis, that looked like a really cool idea when i saw it, and i was kinda hoping you'd do something with it. :)

Just a suggestion, but would you think bi-monthy is too much? Cos it just occurred to me that with a higher turnover, there'd be less potential for dissapointment... Anyway, you know best!
  7. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    Top marks in getting the 'featured artist' thingy off the ground Otis

Thanks!

that looked like a really cool idea when i saw it, and i was kinda hoping you'd do something with it

I forgot all about it until I looked back over this thread. I hope it works out, and everyone enjoys reading about some of the great fan artists out there.

would you think bi-monthy is too much?

I'm considering it. We'll see how the first one works out and I'll make a decision based on that. BTW . . the first Featured Artist is Coming Soon! :D

-Otis
  8. Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Master

star 4
  9. WhisperingDeath Jedi Master

star 4
    You know what I hate? When monkeys procreate with coconuts to create a race of coconut monkeys whose sole aim is to take over the world... until the realise they have no hands.

That is my complaint for the day.
  10. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    Hello, all.

I just wanted to take a second to ask everyone if they could do me a favor . .

Would all of you take a minute or two and post a quick note in this thread letting me know what you feel is right or wrong with this forum and what could be done to make it better. If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them as well.

There is a thread in the Communications Forum about "Mod reviews". I felt that I'd like to pre-empt any complaints and ask for input now, at the beginning of my time as a Mod, instead of at the end (when it may be too late).

So, fire away! :D

-Otis
  11. Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I can't think of any complaints at all...

This is a really friendly place, and we've got a really friendly and approachable mod to go with it!

I remember when myself and Tark were busy filling a thread with nonesense (we good at that :D ) you were totally polite and nice in telling us to keep an eye on where we were posting...

The fanart challenge is made all the more fun with the addition of clues, and the featured artist thread's been a great idea to start up...

nope, still can't think of any complaints.

oh, one thing i suppose, but it's not a complaint... it's not even really a suggestion. Uh, more of a notioning really... Looking back, (in this very thread i think) I saw that the issue of the banner at the top had been something of a contentious issue... i still think it would be nice to have a little more variation there. The lit forum alternates between them all the time... this place is about art after all, so is there a way we could do something like that without trouble? (I don't want to open a can of worms here!)
  12. Tarkheki Jedi Knight

star 2
    i only have one complaint... it's about this duke dogwalker person... oh wait... >;}
  13. Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Master

star 4
  14. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    This is a really friendly place, and we've got a really friendly and approachable mod to go with it!

Good to hear, and thanks!

I remember when myself and Tark were busy filling a thread with nonesense (we good at that ) you were totally polite and nice in telling us to keep an eye on where we were posting...

I appreciate that. There are a few things that I will actively Mod for which don't involve general art activities in the forum:

1) Redundant threads.
    2) Chit chat that is WAY off topic. There's a Social Thread specifically for that.
    3) Terms of Service violations. Inappropriate language, in particular. Keep it clean, and there will be no problems.

one thing i suppose, but it's not a complaint... Looking back, I saw that the issue of the banner at the top had been something of a contentious issue... i still think it would be nice to have a little more variation there. The lit forum alternates between them all the time... this place is about art after all, so is there a way we could do something like that without trouble? (I don't want to open a can of worms here!)

(Jedi Mind Trick) There is no can of worms . .

I appreciate your desire to include forum members in the Banner creation. And I understand the desire to do so. Looking back on the "debate" which preceeded the current banner, it now seems like much ado about nothing.

That being said, I don't like contests in this Forum. That's just my persoabl preference, and that's one of the reasons why the Fan Art Challenge is not called The Fan Art Contest. We're all artists here, with a desire to share and learn (at least I hope that's the case) and it serves no purpose to create any kind of animosity by having contests.

So that's why the banner will remain "as is" while I'm here. And I think it's a wonderful banner, so if it ain't broke . .

On the subject of suggestions, I'd also like to hear ideas that people might have about new topics for *OFFICIAL* threads, or new project threads like the Challenge. I'd also be open to forum members volunteering to "run" certain threads, like Duke-Dogwalker (with the New Art Class and EmilieDarklighter (with the
    New Fan Art Request Thread).

Keep the ideas and suggestion coming!

-Otis
  15. Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Master

star 4
    yeah, me too. I also think we have a great banner - i was just thinking that a second one would be nice, so as to alternate between the two of them on page refresh, as in the lit forum... it seemed a shame that there's more visual diversity there than here...

if a poll were started, asking people to put down their names to volenteer their work for use, i'm sure there'd be loads of response... then you just ask if someone will create a montage out of the volenteers work, no competition, just when it's done say: here it is!

then the page changes from fanart to proart on each refresh! lovely... *dreams*

anyway, if this seems too complicated, then just forget i said anything and lets say no more about it... as i said, it's justa notion. :)
  16. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    Up . . for those may be new around here.

-Otis
  17. SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Master

star 4
    THis thread is really cool.

What's happened to the requests thread? It's licked and it says that there is a new one, but i couldn't find it :(
  18. TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Master

star 4
    Here ya go Splendorion -

Request Thread

I think this is what you're looking for. I've given it a bump to the top of the board.

~Bar
  19. SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Master

star 4
  20. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    hmm, the winter 2002 fanfic awards are coming soon. then i checked my fan art thread and thought, 'why not a fan art awards ceremony'?

~aeryn
  21. jada_marnew Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have NO idea where to put this comment. I looked for a thread that might be dedicated to Craig Burt but didn't readily see one.

So I would just like to say I've just looked at Craig's art work and it is awesome. He is a very talented artist. He captures the detail with an almost broadness (sounds strange but somehow it made sense to me.)

His Past and Present inspired me so much I wrote a brief fanfic. (Currently reworking it.)

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this. If there is a dedicated thread I should be using, let me know.

~JADA
  22. BlackPool Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I would say here is as good as any.

And that awards suggestion up there is a pretty good one I think.
  23. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    I went back looking for some of the *OFFICIAL* threads and saw (to my horror) that many of them have been locked, as have many artist's "portfolio" threads.

How sad.

-Otis
  24. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I'm sending this on up to the top to get the creative juices flowing. As I said in the social thread, I plan on doing some housekeeping around here and initiate some activies for everyone to participate in. This thread was designed for feedback on how to better this forum. So, if you have any ideas, problems, etc...don't hesitate to leave a message. I also want to address some issues on the first page as well as some of my own ideas:

1. Official Tutorial threads - as of right now, I'm in the process of unlocking and upping all of the past tutorial threads including ones for lightsabers, tools and techniques, and Photoshop. If you have any ideas on what to add, let me know.

2. Fan Art Challenge - we already have a successful Holiday Challenge going and I plan on continuing this tradition with a new challenge each month. Once again, your feedback on ideas is welcomed.

3. A new banner for this forum - I don't know about everyone here, but the current banner has been around for a long time. Perhaps a time for a change?

4. Featured Artist - This was successful in the past. Basically, an artist from here at the forums is highlighted every month and they are interviewed about their work and techniques.

5. A dedicated Mod. Well, I'm here to do my best. I'm gonna try to be around and interact with what's going on here as much as I can. I love art and I'm an artist just like most of the people here. I'm gonna try and do my best with that in mind. And please, never hesitate to bring issues to my attention.

Remember, these are just some starting points. I just wanted to address some of the issues brought up in the past to get things started. If you have any suggestions or something you would like to see, that's what this thread is for. And like I've said in the past - never hesitate to contact me. You can reach me by:

-PM
    -AIM: HSolo29
    -MSN: HanSolo29@hotmail.com

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from all of you! :)

/>
  25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Those all sound like solid ideas. Here's some feedback for you. (Sorry if I start to ramble...might just be the bitter ex-mod in me. :p ) :)

-A new banner is always refreshing, so I think that's a good improvement that can be implemented rather easily. The current one is good, but I think the forum could benefit from a new look.

-I think the forum header needs a little overhauling. I'm not sure that the topmost announcement about the 'new forum dedicated to FanSites' needs to be there anymore. (It is also repeated at the bottom of each page too.) That forum isn't new anymore and I don't see the relevance of announcing it any longer.

-The three threads that are linked in the header might be in need of updating once you decide which tutorial/FAQ threads are most important. (In the event that you create new ones and such.)

-Another idea is to start a brand new social thread and locking the current one. It could still be called the Artist's Cantina, just a version 2 or something. It's not exactly necessary, but with your promotion I sort of feel like the forum is entering a new era and a new social thread may help to promote community building with the current group of people here. Older and longer social threads can sometimes be intimidating to new members, but a fresh thread would be like an open invite to all. Just my 2 cents on that. ;)

-I look forward to an all new sticky thread with an outline of the forum's rules (spoiler image rules, image content rules, critique guidelines, etc.) in place of the current sticky. The info that's already there is good, but an update from you would be even better. This could incorporate the idea for an artist index, which is an excellent idea!
    (I know only managers and admins can make sticky's, so I can pm you with suggestions on tackling that now.)

-I wouldn't mind seeing a tutorial thread (that anyone can lend their advice to) on how to draw faces, hands, clothes...etc. Like the mini-tutorial you did about facial feature placement in a recent thread. With very basic guidleines like that. This could be a possible link in the header, or not...just a thought. (I'm not sure if stuff like that is covered in the tools and techniques thread, so it might be a redundant idea.)

-I am excited that you want to continue the monthly fan art challenge. It's a great community building activity. And maybe having other smaller challenges here and there could be introduced as well. I think challenges that help perpetuate learning would be great. Like a challenge where everyone has to draw hands, or eyes. Fun but practical in terms of making us practice and learn.

Okay, I did sort of ramble. :p
    I think your ideas are all really good and that you have this forum's best interests at heart. I hope others share their ideas with you too so you can cull the best ones and implement some of them with your own. :)
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider