main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD The OFFICIAL Comments, Complaints, and Suggestions Thread-(*Currently Discussing: Holiday Season*)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rox , May 31, 2002.

1. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    You can check out my other james Bond posters HERE.

My Indy posters, HERE.

All my web pages, Star Wars, Bond and Indy are linked together so please take a look around.

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks, Gobi-1! I'll be sure to do that. ;)

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I have an idea for a spoiler policy that I want to run by everyone. I noticed that there has been some new images floating around the net and it's only a matter of time before people start making art out of them.

Here's the deal - I was thinking that ALL spoiler related art that contains images that were not made offical must be posted as links with an additional spoiler heading. NO hotlinking to these images.

In addition, if someone goes against these rules three times, they will be given a time out. Afterall, I feel that someone shouldn't have to be told three times not to hotlink to spoiler images. This may be a bit harsh, but that's one of the reasons why I'm posting it here.

So, what say you?

4. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    "Aye, aye!" says I.

I think that's a great idea--implement the same Spoiler Free policy here that the rest of the site has. I don't think anyone really wants to spoil the fun for those who want to wait.

5. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    It sounds like a good policy to me, too, Mme. Moderator--my vote is "for" your suggestion concerning the spoiler images. Re: that--with regard to original images (drawings) and the EU books (those already released)--would we need to change our threads to alert people to images concerning those books? (I'm thinking about the Luke/Mara/Ben sketch I did--some people might not already know that Luke is married with a son...?) I guess I wondered about that a bit when I originally posted--suppose I should have asked someone! :D

FF

6. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks for the support, guys. I know how frustrating it can be to click on a spoiler image that wasn't appropiately labeled. I don't want this to happen to other users as well. I know some folks get really upset from clicking on spoilers by accident(myself included - although, I'm not entirely spoiler-free, I know some stuff, but not a lot). When the new welcome thread is completed, this will be added to the list of guidelines and will be put into effect immediately(I'm gonna post this in the current welcome thread until the new one is created so that people know what to expect).

As for the EU question - your image is fine as it is, FalconFan. After a certain time period(I believe it is 1-2 weeks, don't quote me on that, though - I'll have to look it up to be on the safe side), after the book's release, the content of the book is no longer considered a spoiler and can be posted freely on the boards.

7. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Hello again :D

Obviously I approve ;) but I was wondering if it would be too much to at least ask that all ep.-3 images-- not just spoilers-- be clearly labeled as Ep.-3 related?

Have a happy rest of the holidays!

-Shrunken

8. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    That's actually a very good idea. I know some people tend to stay away from ALL things Ep3 and adding a header could save them the trouble. I think I may add that to the policy.

Good suggestion, ShrunkenJedi. :)

9. Jediloren

Jediloren Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2002
    Sounds like a great idea. The ones that want to see it can look and the others can pass it by.

10. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    Spoiler tags are a must. I stopped modding because people kept not marking their spoiler images (I had another bod helping me out at the time).

Also, I think we should have some type of FAQ on how to deal with a critique. I've seen people give constructive criticism only to have half of the fan art forum go 'OMG NO IT'S PERFECT DON'T LISTEN TO THEM!!!111' That doesn't really help the artist. I've been relucatant to critique people, especially beginners or really bad photoshoppers, because of that. We need to teach people that a critique is a critique of the work, and not of the artist.

Of course, there are also the tactless wonders who attack people's art.

I think a thread on basics would be awesome. Yerf.com has a good thread that linsk to online resources for anatomy and the like. When yerf is back up, I'll post a link to it. I also know like all of the mods there, so I'm sure we could get permission to repost and sticky the thread here.

11. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I know what you mean regarding critiques. I try to be as honest as I can and even then I cringe because of the reaction it might generate. I know the current critique sticky was created after numerous problems with this and it does give some useful tips, but like most of the official threads in here, could use a make-over. Your idea about explaining the difference about critiquing the art and not the artist is a good first step.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to check that site out. I've been looking around for a site that gives tutorials on this subject and that one looks promising. :)

12. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Okay, folks...I have the first draft of the new Welcome Thread completed and ready for you to take a look at. Feedback and suggestions are more than welcome. :)

[b]Welcome to the Fan Art Forum![/b]

If you are new to this forum, please take a moment to read these simple guidelines so that we may build a better community and make the Fan Art forum an enjoyable place to be. Also be sure to check out the links provided below that highlight the more important threads that can be found here. Have fun! :)

[hr]

[blockquote][b]Community:[/b]

-The Artist's Cantina: Version 2.0 [i](new thread to correspond with the new term)[/i]
    -Official Comments, Complaints, and Suggestions Thread
    -[i]possible new thread: Featured Artist Thread[/i]

[hr]

[b]Artistic:[/b]

-Monthly Challenge Thread
    -[i]possible new thread: A Beginner's Guide to Anatomy[/i]
    -[i]possible new thread: The Fan Art Class thread[/i]

[hr]

[b]Technique:[/b]

-Official Tools and Techniques Thread
    -Official Photoshop Thread
    -Official Lightsaber Tutorial Thread
    -Official Composition Discussion Thead
    -Painting Space - Tutorials and Display Thread

[hr]

[b]General Discussion:[/b]

-Official Fan Art Request Thread (new thread)
    -The Fan-to-Pro Thread
    -Artistic Influences
    -McQuarrie or Chiang?
    -[i]possible new thread: The World of Art Discussion Thread[/i]

[hr]

And finally, some common sense rules apply here.

This is a community of artists, and should behave as such. But for those who may have experienced some of the unrest and in other forum . . here are some definitions and rules:

Trolling (with help from Chyren 12/12/99):

?Trolling is many things.
    a) Flaming: i.e. rude comments, insults, personal attacks, etc.
    b) Fishing for flames. Usually takes the form of inane postings, useless pieces of boring information, etc.
    c) Cascades: Endless meaningless threads the posters repeat the same phrase
    over and over, or such like.
    troll v.,n.
    To post messages (most commonly flames or personal attacks) designed to attract hostile responses or flames;
    An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a forum, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. "Sometimes it's difficult to spot a troll.?

Flaming:
    The act of insulting another member. A bannable offense on the JC.

Spamming:
    This is multiple posting of identical material across several Forums or
    multiple posting of threads of highly similar content within the same Forum.

Also, frequent posting within threads for the sole purpose of raising post count without contributing anything of substance to the thread (eg. continual comments such as ?Whoa? or ?What he said?). Note that these are contextual definitions: the occasional non-contributional comment is not spamming, but a poster, the majority of whose remarks are of this nature, is spamming. Also, opening threads to advertise outside links. No exact administrator definition currently exists. Spamming can be a bannable offence on the JC.

And any comments or critiques directed towards other artists and their work should, of course, be tactful, tasteful and polite. We have a unique community here, one forged by our desire to create and learn. Let us try to keep it that way.

Thanks for listening, welcome to the Fan Art Board and have fun!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a few more items to consider (thanks to DarthBreezy and Otis_Frampton):

ARTISTS:

1) When posting artwork, use one thread for all of your work to avoid clogging the forum with redundant threads.

2) When you post an update, edit the thread title in the original post so that the changes are reflected, even if it just reads Thread Updated (posting date).

3) Use Markup Codes to create links to the images you are sharing. I cannot stress this enough. We Netizens are a lazy lot, and if we have to copy and paste a URL

13. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Can Do, Chief. ;)
    Looks great!

14. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    One thing I'd like to add is that if you want to showcase your artwor, create ONE THREAD for it, and update it as needed. You can always edit your thread titles (or any post for that matter) in this forum.

So there's no need to create multiple threads for different pieces of artwork of photo collage. This place can get messy if everyone does that.

Order! We need order! :)

-Otis

15. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Good suggestion, Otis. I agree completely. I'll be adding that to the final draft. ;)

16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Okay, folks I have another proposal to throw out there.

I couldn't help but notice all the request threads that have been popping up recently. Now, this isn't a bad thing, afterall we welcome requests, but it's soon going to come to the point where they start overtaking the other art threads. In order to get around this, here is what I have planned(thanks to jacemathem for the one suggestion ;) ): I will be starting back up the official request thread that was here a few years back. Only, there will be a major difference - there will now be two threads instead of one. One thread will be designated for fan fiction covers and illustrations/RPG characters and the other for group projects(current example would be the fan comics)and miscellaneous. All requests will be listed on the first page of the thread as they come in so artists have easy access.

So, are there any thoughts on this before it is put into action?

17. gatodama

gatodama LFL Artist star 3 VIP

May 17, 2002
    Very good idea^

18. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    Ditto. I do like the idea of requests being in one(or two) places, rather than a new thread each time someone has a new request.

19. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    Hello, that's a good idea to have an official request thread. Seem's like these threads are taking over the forum, but I guess that also means people are impressed with the art they see in this community.

suggestion for new official thread : being an artist and having been to other artist forums on the net I think it would be fun to do the Drawing Jams like they do at the drawing board.org

http://www.sketchbooksessions.com/thedrawingboard/
    warning - some nude art

It's different than the fan art challenge in that an image is posted and all the artists submit their version in their own original style. It's amazing all the different takes you can get off of one image.

We'd of course change the name to something different like the Drawing Duels or whatever. What do ya think?

20. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. :)

Since it seems that the majority favors the request threads, I'll go ahead and start working on them so we can get them up and running. ;)

Ty: I took a look at that site and I must say, I'm really impressed. I really liked what I saw. Although, I'm hesitant in putting something like this in place with the Challenge going at the same time. I know it's different in which we draw the image that's posted, but in a way, it's also the same. But, I want to know what you guys thing before coming to a final decision. :)

21. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I just want to give everyone a heads up that starting tonight I'm going to start to really organize this forum. With my promotion to manager, I now have the capabilities to create sticky threads as well as edit the board style. So, if you have an suggestions on what you want, now's the time to let me know. :)

22. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Congrats on making it to manager! On with the stickies. :D

23. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    Congrats on the promotion. I look foreward to seeing the stickies going up. :D Good luck with the task ahead of you.

24. gatodama

gatodama LFL Artist star 3 VIP

May 17, 2002
    WHOO HOO..You're all clear kid....Now lets Blow this thing and go home!!!!

congrats on the promotion!!

25. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Yay, Han!! I'll add my congratulations on your promotion, too--fantastic! =D= Of course, I already love what you've done with the place (i.e., the Art Forum), so I'm certain this can only be a good thing! *salutes the new Fan Art Manager*

FF