main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Computer Technical Help Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by The Gatherer, Dec 6, 2002.

1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Throughout this forum, there are many, Many people who are very talented when it comes to computer technology, hardware, software, programming, web design, etc...

I think that this thread is a great opportunity for people to ask questions, help each other, and share thier tips and knowledge.

I guess I will start off. Hope that I don't sound too dumb by asking this...

Does anyone know how to convert an .avi file to a .mpg file?

2. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Hmm... I thought that there would be more willing experts in here!

2nd question... one of my favorite bands is playing in a concert soon, and they are been played simulcast on radio. Is it possible to set your computer to pick up a radio channel (which I think can be done), and then at the same time, burn the recording to CD???

3. SithDewd

SithDewd Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2000
    Got your answer for you first question here
    Look here for a short guide of how to convert AVI to MPG for easy burning...
    TEH LINK

--SITH--[||||]--DEWD--

4. Tupolov

Tupolov Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I could be here all day lisitng problems with my computer. But here's one that's been bugging me for the last few days. Why will it suddenly freeze up when I am using it?

5. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    'Cause you're using too much memory

How exactely does it freeze and what are you running?

I have a silly little problem:

I'm using IE and today none of the links I'm reading are marked read (i.e. unbolded, different color). Anything I read yesterday is still marked read though. Any ideas?

6. Tupolov

May 24, 2002
    My computer has 256 megs of RAM, I am only using IE though. The whole computer freezes and I have to do a "hard" shut down to fix it.

7. FlamingSword

Jun 4, 2001
    Hmm, do you have a lot of stuff running in the background?

8. Tupolov

May 24, 2002
    Not really, I have MSN messenger. Nothing else

9. FlamingSword

Jun 4, 2001
    Hmmm... then I don't know what's causing it.

One solution would be to do a reformat of your system. Get it all nice and clean. Other than that, I don't know.

10. Tupolov

May 24, 2002
    I have contemplated doing that, just because I have been having problems with many things.

11. CarbonKnight

CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    I have a question: sometimes when you open a browser window it is at a certain size... you can adjust that size and when you click "open in new window" it stays that size. Sometimes however, I resize and resize and it never sticks, it always comes out the size I don't want.

12. SithDewd

SithDewd Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2000
    There are a lot of programs that run in the background with out your knowledge. Pres CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up task manager. It should show a list of everything that is running in the background. Most of these could be shutdown with out any problems.

--SITH--[||||]--DEWD--

13. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Thanks for your help everyone!

14. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Everytime I start up my computer Explorer will crash as I'm loading.

I've gone into msconfig and disabled nearly every startup item, including the big two- PGP and Norton. Sometimes it works for one time after that, but then it's back.

I've defrag, scanned, registry-cleaned, Norton's One Button Checkup, and frankly I'm out of ideas.

Help?

¤Night

15. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Night, what OS?

16. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Windows ME, a 900Mhz, 256 RAM, Single DVD drive, with a ton of peripherials. Onboard Video but offboard sound.

I also can't run WinMX either.

Duh. Virus. //Heads off to scan

¤Night

17. Tupolov

May 24, 2002
    I had that problem a while back. The only thing I found to do was keep trying. Have you installed any new programs lately?

18. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    If that comes up negative, you could just be overloading your system with "extras". When a system gets overloaded and the processor can't handle it, well you can guess.

But actually look in your CTL/ALT/DEL menu, if there are TWO explorer.exe's, you have a virus which my friend had. [face_plain]

19. Tupolov

May 24, 2002
    I had some game on my computer that kept crashing and wouldn't let me turn the computer back on. I finally got into it long enough to uninstall it and the problem has stopped.

20. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Not all that familiar with WIN ME, but have you tried to see if you can boot up into Safe Mode without crashing??

21. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I have one. My "Shift" and "Ctrl" buttons stick sometimes. The thing is, it's not the keyboard. I just replaced it for this very reason and it still does it. So I'm thinking it's a software thing, but why in the heck would it be doing that?

BTW, I use Windows Me.

22. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    There is a thing in the computer called Sticky Keys, which is for handicapped people who are unable to hold these buttons while they type. So it sort of acts like Caps-Lock would.

Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel, then Accessability Options. It's in there under "Keyboard>StickyKeys". :) I hope that's it.

23. Ozzel

May 14, 2001
    Nope, that's not it. (I would've felt really stupid if it was!)

24. Tupolov

May 24, 2002
    Have you called your computer's manufacturer?

25. Ozzel

May 14, 2001
    No, but I may have to give that a shot sometime.