main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Computer Technical Help Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by The Gatherer, Dec 6, 2002.

1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    You never had to log into the modem to set the user name and password?

Or did it just come preinstalled from the ISP?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Wouldn't it be your ethernet adapter that needs the driver, then? I, too, am puzzled at why that router appears on device manager to begin with.

3. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    That sounds like an idea. How would I find out what driver I need?

4. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Windows should come with one for generic ethernet adaptors. Have you tried opening its properties in device manager and looking for the 'Reinstall driver' or some such thing?

5. lokust

lokust Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 30, 2008
    I installed two new sticks of RAM. I went from two 512s to two 2gig sticks.
    but my laptop is only recognizing 2.5gigs.

I am running Vista Home Basic.
    Could my os be topping my RAM limit?

If this is so, is there any way around it, so it will recognize all 4 gigs?

Thanks, I appreciate any help.

-Lokust

6. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Unless you have 64bit Vista you can't recognise more than 3GB of RAM.

7. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    try

Go to "run", type MSCONFIG,

then under the "BOOT INI" header, click advanced and UNCHECK the "MAXMEM" box.

8. lokust

lokust Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 30, 2008
    Is there any way to get it to recognize the other half a gig? since it is recognizing 2.5 gigs.
    Thank you for your help.

It was unchecked already. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

-Lokust

9. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I am not sure...my Vista just recognised the 3 of 4GB I have.

I bet you have a 512MB memory card....bringing you up to the full 3GB max capacity of 32-bit memory recognition.

10. TheEmperorsHand

TheEmperorsHand Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 2000
    I don't know how relevant this is but I'm having problems with Adobe Flash and getting my script to work right, if anyone knows enough about Flash to help me with troubleshooting please let me know!

11. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I'm in serious bantha poodo right now, can someone tell me what I'm supposed to do generally when my computer comes under a malware attack? I bought McAfree (I think that's what it's called) yesterday but it's only detecting viruses and not the worms, adware, keyloggers and not to mention the back door that my system has detected.

And what do I do about this back door? It's making me nervous and I think it's getting to the Internet and it's cut me off as I keep getting attacks from random IP addresses.

And yes, this is why I haven't been hatting. Apparently there are 34 threats.

12. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Wow, remember The Gatherer? Good times.

Also, I've taken to just system-restoring. It's the quickest, easiest solution, assuming your computer sets restore points daily. Mine does and I don't recall telling it to, so you may be just as lucky.

Amazing.

13. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002

http://www.download.com/windows/security-software/?tag=rb_content;contentNav

^ download Ad-Aware and Spybot.

Reset your computer to run in safe mode. Run both programs, and McAfee as well.

This will take about an hour and half. That will take care of the adware and keyloggers.

After that download Hijack This, and post the results(you also may want to find a message board that has people who know about Hijack This outputs). I can tell a portion of the results that are essential to the computer, but I dont know all of it.

14. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Amazing! [:D]

Now I am very reassured, how can I do that? Can I take it back way in time before the infestation and then knock them on the head before they start coming in again?

15. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    The newest Norton Internet Security is the best app on the market. The other great (extremely surprising) thing about it is that it's also the fastest and least resource-intensive.

As for your current problem, you may need to re-install Windows to completely remove all threats. You might also try downloading and burning one of those boot discs from McAfee or Norton that scans your system before Windows loads. I had success with the Norton one I used a few months ago, but ultimately I was forced to re-install XP.

16. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Install and run ad-aware and spybot:s&d. You might want to get Avast as well. All these are free.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That depends on quite a few variables - when your last system backup was done, what you've installed since (including Windows Updates), and when your PC was infected. By the way - a system restore will not revert your data. So if you have documents, etc that you have done since your last backup they should be fine if they are in My Documents. However, you have no way at this point of knowing if your last backup was prior to infestation unless you know the backup date and approximately when your PC got corrupted. If you're pretty sure your most recent backup is good, then you might want to go with it. However, just as a precaution, I'd do a system backup before doing anything. That way you can get back to a known point (even if it's a bad one) if something gets screwed up in the cleanup.

You mentioned Mc Afee - is that just an AV package or is it a full internet security package? If you aren't running an Internet Security system, you might consider getting the aforementioned Norton or one of the other all-in-one packages. I use Norton Internet Security (2005 edition) and it's been good. At the very least, if you're on Windows XP (Sp2 or higher) you should enable the firewall if you don't already have a firewall running. (If you're on a LAN it might already have one).

18. AcklayComeHome

AcklayComeHome Jedi Master star 7

Apr 27, 2002
    A couple days ago after starting up my system, one of my monitors(I dual monitor, it's the older of the two) wouldn't turn on properly, it would power on, flash the screen, and go back off, over and over, but started working again pretty soon so I let it be. Now it's doing it again but not fixing itself this time.

Here's a video of it. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v296/merke/?action=view&current=monitorflash.flv

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    How old is it? I hate to say it but I think it might be new monitor time. I assume everything is plugged in properly and none of the wires are loose.

20. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    I got the homework of making a webpage. Could someone recomand me a good guide in the net for making one?

21. AcklayComeHome

AcklayComeHome Jedi Master star 7

Apr 27, 2002
    Yeah I checked the cords, it was all connected fine, that monitor's about...4 years old now I guess.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    This site is pretty good but probably overkill for your purposes. However they do have a beginner's primer. There's loads more if you Google web page + easy + tutorial.

23. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    Thanks.

24. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
    Okay its my turn now. My parents have a HP desktop running XP. Theres spyware, adware, and a virus on here for sure that I've found. Ive managed to remove a lot of it, but theres still things that I'm almost sure I missed. I ran HijackThis and got this logfile, what did I miss on here, Ive already manually removed 30 pieces of spyware manually.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 10:48:19 AM, on 3/5/2009
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\bgsvcgen.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DVDRAMSV.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\EACCEL~1\FRAMEW~1\eac_productsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter Wireless Network Monitor\WLService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter Wireless Network Monitor\WUSB54GC.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\EACCEL~1\FRAMEW~1\eac_svc.exe
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
    C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\ALCWZRD.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\ALCMTR.EXE
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Acceleration Software\Anti-Virus\stopsignav.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
    C:\Program Files\Registry Mechanic\RegMech.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\RAMAsst.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\HPZSTC10.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\WISPTIS.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q105&bd=pavilion&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_US&c=Q105&bd=pavilion&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_US&c=Q105&bd=pavilion&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_US&c=Q105&bd=pavilion&pf=desktop
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q105&bd=pavilion&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,AutoConfigURL = 192.168.1.1
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Setting

25. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    ANGELA: personally, I use Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, and Avast, for all my malware needs. Install those and run them with the most thorough and aggressive scans they have and make sure they scan everything and they miss nothing. Don't run them all at the same time though, run them one at a time. They are either free or have free versions so no expense in necessary. Some people suggest AVG but I compared the free versions of AVG and Avast and found that Avast has better protection than AVG.

Also, doing a registry clean with CCleaner (also free) might be worth doing.

Oh, and make sure Windows is fully updated.