main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Conquest discussion thread! (Spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LawgSkrak, Mar 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoJo

JoJo Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2001
    Anyone know how long after BP Conquest takes place? It seems odd to me that know one knows of Mara's pregnancy after so long. She should be pretty near full term by now.

2. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    If only bad ole Exar was still around.

3. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I hope the Vong get teased, taunted, and tormented by a bunch of Sith poltergeists. :D ;) :D ;)

4. Pellaeon69187

Pellaeon69187 Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2000
    I hope she has the kid in Conquest but I bet it will be in Rebirth.

Not even a day to go untill Conquest. Right after school I head to the book store :)

5. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I get it at 9AM, as soon as the bookstore opens. Advantage of being homeschooled. :)

And it's confirmed that the baby's birth will be in Rebirth.

6. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    Here is some spoilers for you all.

Borsk Fey'lya, Chief of State of the New Republic, offered an apologetic expression that looked as false to Luke as it was well-precticed. His words followed suit. "I am sorry," he demurred, vilot eyes unblinking. "I can be of no help in this matter, Master Skywalker." Luke faught down the urge to shout and sought the calm he so offen implored of his students. "I beg you to reconsider, Chief Fey'lya, Lives are at stake." Grief over Ikirt's death was stll raw.
    The Bothan nodded. "I am painfully aware of that, Master Skywalke. Howerver, whereas you are concerned with the lives of four--count them, four--Jedi, I must consider a great many more. I must consider the lives we will lose in an attempted to retake the Yavin system, a system with no tactical or stategic advantage. I must consider, further, that this action would quite effectively end the truce with the Yuuzhan Vong and cost even more lives in renewed warfare."
    They've already broken the truce," Luke replied, still trying to keep his voice even. "They promised not to take any more of our worlds if the Jedi are turned over to them, something that the whole galaxy seems eager to do. And yet they've taken Yavin Four."
    "Of course, niether I nor the Seate sanction the purported purge of Jedi."
    "Purported?" Luke allowed the word to absorb all of the incredulity he felt at Fey'lya's implication. "And as for Yavin Four," the Chief continued evenly, "it is not one of 'our worlds,' notif by the use of the plural pronoun you mean the New Republic. Yavin Four is <i> your</i> pet project, Master Skywalker. You Jedi have made it clear that you are not bound by the laws and decisions of the senate. You fight unsanctioned battles and provoke needless dissent. And now, suddenly, after spurning our wishes, you desire our aid? Really, can't you see the hypocrisy in that?"
    Chief , putting aside for the monent that you are confounding the action of a handfull of Jedi with our order as a whole, these are <i> children </i> we're talking about. They've done nothing, and don't deserve to suffer for the mistakes of others."
    "But you would ask me to jeopardise millions, perhaps billions for those same mistakes? You mistakes? Listen to youself,"
    That's the most--" Jaina Solo exploded. Luke was surspised she had kept silent for so long.
    Quiet, Jaina," He said.
    "But he's twisting--"
    "Child, you have all of you mother's fire and none of her commen sence," fey'lya said. Listen to your Master."
    "There's no need to insult my niece," Luke said. "Her brother is one of those missing."
    "Would this be Anakin Solo, who forged a fake departure authority in order to leave Coruscant surreptitously?"
    "Anakin is a little...overeager."
    "He did not proceed under you authority?"
    "No, Chief Fey'lya, he did not, but he thought the students at the praxeum were in imminent danger. As it turns out, he was correct."
    "Another example, however, of what I'm talking about. Young Solo ran off against orders, breaking several laws in doing so, with no say-so from anyone. This, so far as I can tell, is the essence of what the Jedi have become."
    "I'm coming to you now, Chief Fey'lys."
    "Yes. Now that the matter is too large for you to handle on your own. And I not that you went to General Antillies--and, I suspect, to others. And they all sent you here."
    "I was inquiring into what was posssible,: Luke said. "Not making request."
    "How diplomatic. And where is your sister in all this? She and her husband also seem to have disappeared."
    "That's not relevent to this," Luke said.
    "Oh, isn't it? Are they engaged in yet more unsanctioned covert activitys? Are they a part of the govenment you're trying to run on the side, as if the elected offcials of the New Republic are incompetent to do their jods?"
    "We're following our Jedi mandate, Chief Fey'lya. Wr protect. We serve, I'm sorry if these goals are incompatible with yours."
    "The arrogance," Fey'lya said. "The sheer arrogance. And you wonder why you are disliked."
    Luke felt matters rushing to a heated conclusion and kno

7. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Haha, Jaina insulted Fey'lya! Seriously though, she is right.

8. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    Yep. Durron is going to kick his @$$.

9. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Dude, i read a part that mentioned a "X5 X-wing". Is that a misprint or something?

10. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    It's a misprint in the book. It's referred to usually as XJ but typoed once X5

11. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Well, here in Connecticut it's now April 3rd. Too bad there aren't any bookstores open at this hour! ;)

12. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Here's the review I posted at Amazon:

Conquest
    4/5 stars

A new kind of Jedi.

?Conquest? is the shortest novel in the New Jedi Order line thus far, but don?t let that discourage you ? it?s also in many important ways one of the best. Like ?Hero?s Trial? before it, ?Conquest? follows only one character, Anakin this time, through the bulk of the book. Though it is short, this entry reveals more to us about the Vong as a people, as a culture, than any three novels before it. In addition, it?s nice finally to see a New Jedi Order novel that actually focuses on the Jedi. Greg Keyes certainly isn?t the best author who?s been inducted into the Star Wars fold recently, but he definitely *is* one of the most engaging. At times, Keyes? style seemed a little ?fan fiction-ish? rather than ?profic.? The sentence structure and word choice sometimes just didn?t feel professional, but that is easily overlooked because it didn?t detract from the novel, it was just different.

The plot is straightforward: Several months after Yuuzhan Vong Warmaster Tsavong Lah?s offering to end the invasion if all the Jedi are turned over to him, the Peace Brigade, as well as planetfuls of desperate people near the path of the invasion route, are out hunting Jedi ? pretty much completely unhindered by the New Republic government. Because of this, the schism that has been growing between the Jedi deepens drastically. Figuring that Yavin IV, home of the Jedi Academy, will be a Vong target, Luke sends Karrde to evacuate the trainees, but Anakin knows he won?t get there in time, and rushes off, against Luke?s direct orders, to help his friends. He arrives in the Yavin system to find that Karrde has not yet arrived, but the Peace Brigade has. Thus begins Anakin?s trials and tribulations, which will last the rest of the book. As his quest continues, Anakin teams up with a renegade Yuuzhan Vong, a ?Shamed One? who has apparently lost the favor of ?gods and family? (although he quite vehemently denies it), through whom the young Jedi really begins to understand what the Republic is dealing with. Meanwhile, Tahiri, Anakin?s best friend, has been captured by the Vong and is being brainwashed by members of their ?Shaper? caste who want not only to understand what the Force is, but also want to have their own, Vong, Force-user.

Previously, many Star Wars fans have complained that the New Jedi Order sequence has been to dark, too gruesome for their tastes. Despair not!, for ?Conquest? is much more upbeat both in terms of tone, style, and content. There is a little Vong brutality, but it mostly happens off-camera, and what is shown is handled tastefully, not in the over-the-top manner which we have seen so often previously. As I said earlier, Keyes is a very engaging author, with an easy-to-read style that allows you to fall right into the book. The action and suspense are gripping, but instead of following the move-by-move descriptive formula favored by R.A. Salvatore and Michael Stackpole, Keyes tended to focus on what the characters involved with the action were thinking and going through. In many ways the style of this novel would feel more at home in the Bantam or Young Jedi Knights series than in the New Jedi Order.

In fact, character is what Keyes seems to do best. Luke, Mara, and Borsk all acted (or didn?t act, as the case may be) in character, although sometimes their dialogue didn?t sound quite right, but all the other characters were perfectly portrayed. And there were quite a few characters, mostly Jedi and others hailing from the Young Jedi Knights and Junior Jedi Knights lines of YA novels. The twins, Anakin, his best friend Tahiri, and others were all perfectly on-target in terms of characterization and attitude, and some previously unremarkable characters, such as diminutive Jedi Master Ikrit and Dorsk 82, were completely salvaged. In addition, look for a cameo by Corran Horn.

As I have noted, this is an ?Anakin novel,? in much the same way that ?Balance Point? was a ?Jacen novel.? In fact, in many ways this book

13. Mad Jedi Master

Mad Jedi Master Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2000
    I'm going to open up my local Waldenbooks (I Just made Keyholder), so if you live in the Arlington TX area, I'll be selling Conquest from 10-5 at the Parks Mall! OK, shameless plug ends...

To the person who hoped Mara's baby'd be born in Conquest... No. But it will definitely be born in Rebirth. It remains to be seen what they'll name the tyke. I'm still campaigning for Talon.

14. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out!It's out! It's out! It's out! Yippie!!!!!!!!

15. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I got it! I got it! I got it!

I'll be reading it shortly, however, I got one thing to say. Jaina had every right to insult Borsk, but I think he got off too lightly (in the physical sense). I'd gone and knock him clear across the room. I always believed that he was too Palpatinisitic for my taste. Now he just proved that he's like Palpatine, as far as his concern for the Jedi is involved. The only difference is that he's not a Jedi, and I'm certain that no Jedi will want anything to do with him, or the New Republic leadership, now. He signed his own death warrant, at least in the political sense.

I do have one thing to say. I skimmed the epilogue. I thought, based on what's written on the back of this book and Rebirth, that after he rescued her, Anakin, Tahiri, and Rapuung escaped into parts unknown, aiming at rejoining the others eventually. Sort of like Luke and Han intending to regroup with the Rebel forces at the rendezvous point in Empire Strikes Back, but took a roundabout path, rather than the direct path.

16. Katriel

Katriel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2000
    I'm up to Chapter 5. First Impression? It reads like a Young Jedi Knights novel. So far I'm not impressed.

SPOILER:

Neither Han nor Leia are listed in the Dramatis Personae. They are not in this book at all. They only get mentioned.

17. Ghost-of-Spider

Ghost-of-Spider Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2000
    Pls forgive a silly question from someone who won't get the book for quite awhile yet, but are Han and Leia mentioned at all? and if so how are her legs??
    Thanks in advance for any replies :)

18. Katriel

Katriel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2000
    SPOILER:

It's mentioned in passing that Leia spent a lot of time in a Bacta tank but is fine.

19. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Han and Leia are hiding on some planet. That was supposed to be a plot in Knightfall.

Rapuung spoilers from the end in response to an earlier thread:

he dies.

20. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Neither Han nor Leia are listed in the Dramatis Personae."

Yep they were intended to be touched more upon in knightfall trilogy, guest stars, to danni quee and jorrallen's starring roles. but that will never see the light of day.

21. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Rebecca191, didn't you order the book online? Why are you buying it again?

22. MARA-JADE

MARA-JADE Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    This is torture, Conquest doesn't come out here (UK) until Thursday and even then I'm not able to get a copy til Friday.

23. Senni_Arava

Senni_Arava Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    <goes crazy> I have been to SO many bookstores, hoping to find it early, but noooo, I still can't find it today. :(
    <Take a deep breath. you will live through this>
    Sorry :)
    four months, and I can't even find it today!

24. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Reads like a kid's book? ~deadpans~ Joy.

I'm going to be buying it tomorrow.

25. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I ended up cancelling the order. I wouldn't have gotten it til tomorrow and I was too impatient to wait. :D

Finished it a couple of hours ago. I really liked it. So - when Anakin told Tahiri he loved her, do you think he meant it in a "beloved friend" sort of way or a romantic way? I'm not sure....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.